PDA

View Full Version : WHFB Weapon Rules Suggestion

maxwell123
01-04-2005, 10:33
Okay, there has been a lot of discussion about alternative weapon rules for next edition I've noticed on various Warhammer forums lately. Some of the suggestions IMO have been unnecessarily complex and confusing.

I think some simple changes like the following would streamline the weapons better and make them balanced with one another:

Hand Weapon & Shield

All models with a weapon skill of 4 or greater armed with a hand weapon and mundane shield gain an additional +1 bonus to their armour save.

Spears

Fight in two ranks (exactly same as now).

Cost: 1 pt for all S3 troops. 2 pts for all S4 troops.

Halberds

Two Handed. Fight in two ranks. +1S bonus for front rank only.

This represents the front rank using the heavier axe part of the halberd whilst the second rank must use the pointed end like a spear in order to strike. Represents the versatility of the halberd well and scales well with other weapons.
Spear armed troops can buy a shield and be equally effective to halberd armed troops for same cost. Spearmen would get +1 save whilst halberdiers get +1S for front rank.
Makes halberdiers more effective than great weapon wielders at taking on horde troops in drawn out combats and better in defence (as halberdiers should be). Great weapon wielders would still be much more effective for breaking enemies on the charge and killing tough, well armoured enemies including characters.

Cost: +2 pts for all S3 troops. +3 pts for all S4 troops.

Great Weapons

Two Handed. +2S. Strike last except on charge.

Cost: +2 pts.

Flail

Requires two hands. +2S in first round combat.

Cost: +2 pts.

Morning Star

+1S in 1st round combat.

Cost: +1 pt

Akuma
01-04-2005, 16:07
Lods of crap i see in you post High Elf Player :rolleyes:

1) Why are you making distintions based on S - why not add WS I and so on ??? -

2) Why there should be +1AS bonus for HW&Sd for only ws4 moddels ?? supperior close combat skill ? maybe but what if i give it to my high elf price with ws 7 does he get additional +1 :D - no ?? why ??

3) My suggestions

Spear - Always stricke in I order - fight from 2 ranks

Halabard - Fight from 2 ranks +1 S ( due to increased AS of spear as it can be used with shilds and this above new rule it would be fair ).

the rest is good as it is

maxwell123
02-04-2005, 01:43
1) Why are you making distintions based on S - why not add WS I and so on ??? -

Because it is the strength value that determines the effectiveness of the ability to fight in ranks, much more than either weapon skill or initiative. The advantages provided by higher initative are minscule to those given by higher strength. Spearmen with S4 and WS3 are way more effective than Spearmen with WS4 and S3. However, Spearmen with WS4 and S3 are not much more effective than S3 Spearmen with WS3.

Akuma
02-04-2005, 08:46
Because it is the strength value that determines the effectiveness of the ability to fight in ranks, much more than either weapon skill or initiative. The advantages provided by higher initative are minscule to those given by higher strength. Spearmen with S4 and WS3 are way more effective than Spearmen with WS4 and S3. However, Spearmen with WS4 and S3 are not much more effective than S3 Spearmen with WS3.

And it shouldnt - the ability to stricke 1 is as immportant as S imho. One thing is that you get more attacks and recive less attacks beck the other is that with my proposed spear rules ( stricking always on I order ) Initiative would make much much more impact as you would be able to hit charging unit befeor it hits you.

Thing with WS is important to - you have higher WS - you get half hits so lets say from 5 cavalry models you would hit 5 times and if he has 12 spearman aginst you he will hit 8 times so probably will kill one or 2 models - lets say 1 so you have only 4 hits - and will kill about 2 or 3 - he has a rank and he has outnumber :D - so you see that WS and I would at least ba a factor in CC

Most diffrence with my rules ( althought theyr not comlete ) and anarchistica is that my fit the current army books and balance things quite nicley ;)

DrCamf
13-04-2005, 00:22
seems like some ok rules would sure like to try them out, and yes s4 is better than ws4, seen this in more battles than I care to mention, and also noticed that ws4 s4 is way better that ws5 s3.