PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf tournament army, 1000 pts

Latro
04-10-2006, 08:28
Right, from now on I'll be using a new army ... Dwarfs! (yes, I admit it ... I bought the starterset) I've given it a few test-runs, but it's still all very new and a bit strange as well ... they can shoot :wtf:

Anyway, this is the list I came up with:

Thane
- Great Weapon, Gromril Armour, Shield
- Rune of Stone

Thane BSB
- Gromril Armour
- Rune of Stone

Dragon Slayer

2x 19 Dwarf Warriors
- Standard, Musician
- Shield

2x 10 Thunderers

2x Bolt Thrower
- Engineer

Any thoughts on it are of course very welcome!

WLBjork
04-10-2006, 10:19
Perosnally, I'd lose the Dragon Slayer, and with the points saved give the Thunderers Shields, and one of the Warrior units can then have a Champion.

I'd also play with swapping out one of the 19-Dwarf blocks for 2*10 Dwarf blocks (and put the Thane and the BSB into the main block, reducing it to 18-strong) and using them as flank guards, especially useful against Empire Detachments. However, this is pretty much down to how you like to play.

Mazian
04-10-2006, 17:08
lose the bsb. replace the slayer hero with a slayer unit (if you were useing him to guard the bts dont bother just spread them out they are worth almost no VPs) consolidate the 2 infantry units into a single one and gain another unit of shooters, perhaps xbows instead of guns for the added range. put some runes on the thane (dwarf magic is very effective, everyone talks about how they can just avoid runed weapons but its a bunch of bunk, march your infantry into the middle of the field and lay down withering fire and they will have to come to you).

Latro
05-10-2006, 08:24
The Dragon Slayer (only 50 pts!!!) has been my most valuable (and violent) unit in all of my games so far (just two). He's the only unit in this army that's relatively fast and flexible and able to react to thing that can outmanouevre my battle-line. He's still being tested because two battles don't prove much ... but I'll keep this maniac in for now.

I know from experience that in smaller games, it's the amount of units you have that matter most ... not how big and bad you can make just one. I've played against these one-hit-wonders and whiped them off the board each time. The "detachment" idea is something I might give a try though.

DeathlessDraich
06-10-2006, 14:18
Can't really fault your list. It's biased slightly more towards shooting than expected.
You're right about the Dragon slayer. Absolutely worth it for armies of any number of points. Personally, I would even consider dropping a Thane for a unit of Slayers or Dragon slayer.
Runes on 1 Bolt thrower would be useful especially Rune of Penetration to knock out chariots or Rune of Skewering. 1 Bolt thrower with the correct runes would be more effective than 2 without any.
You could consider other options to compensate for the lack of speed:
Miners and/or
Gyrocopter

Latro
07-10-2006, 08:01
Can't really fault your list. It's biased slightly more towards shooting than expected.
You're right about the Dragon slayer. Absolutely worth it for armies of any number of points. Personally, I would even consider dropping a Thane for a unit of Slayers or Dragon slayer.
Runes on 1 Bolt thrower would be useful especially Rune of Penetration to knock out chariots or Rune of Skewering. 1 Bolt thrower with the correct runes would be more effective than 2 without any.
You could consider other options to compensate for the lack of speed:
Miners and/or
Gyrocopter

I blame GW for the amount of shooting in my list (yes, it's twice the Skull Pass set), I simply put about all the models I had on the table and this is what I ended up with. I loaded the Cannons with a spear to make them Bolt Throwers and the Miners are mixed in with the Warriors to bulk out those units a bit.

There's actually a cunning plan behind those cheapish Bolt Throwers. The more points I pay to make sure something does it's job well, the smaller the chance gets it will actually do it ... it's probably an appendix to Murphie's Law. I used the Rune of Skewering in both test battles and they missed every time. Both of them got flank-shots on a cavalry unit for three turns in a row and only managed to kill one. :wtf: ... so I changed the plan, I keep them cheap now and expect nothing (should do wonders!)

Miners are the next thing on my wish-list. When my next heap of Dwarfs arrives (more Skull Pass goodness!) I can field about 1500 pts:

- Warriors units become 24 strong
- Miner unit added
- Rare warmachine added (not dure which one yet)
- Sprinkle a few Runes on the army

Go Dwarfs!

Lardidar
07-10-2006, 09:30
I loaded the Cannons with a spear to make them Bolt Throwers

Now that is an idea ...... what spear did you use and do they look good?

Could just be a nice cheap way to get me some bolt throwers :)

Erestor
07-10-2006, 09:56
Lardidar, I saw that Wicker Man movie late one night on TV. Very odd.

Back to topic, I don't have any issues with the list either, and the logic on runic war machines mirrors my own. I still have the rune of fire though, there are too many wood elf and undead armies at my Local club.

See if you can turn a cannon into a Flame Cannon Latro, then show us the conversion. I've heard they are the best dwarf machines, but haven't used one.

Latro
07-10-2006, 10:02
Now that is an idea ...... what spear did you use and do they look good?

Could just be a nice cheap way to get me some bolt throwers :)

I had some spears from the skeleton sprue lying around, they're "bulky" enough to look like a bolt and some of them even have barblike thingies on them.

... they look like cannons with a bolt shoved up their barrels :D

Hardly a prize-winning conversion, but it's a cheap way to proxy a Bolt Thrower and avoid confusion. Maybe I'll do a proper conversion eventually.

See if you can turn a cannon into a Flame Cannon Latro, then show us the conversion. I've heard they are the best dwarf machines, but haven't used one.

Well, I guess I could shove a match up a cannonbarrel and present it as a Flame Cannon ...

Erestor
07-10-2006, 23:14
That could work.....or glue a cigarette lighter to the carriage...

DeathlessDraich
08-10-2006, 12:11
Looking forward to your first battle report with Dwarves, Latro.
I watched transfixed when a unit of Ironbreakers were destroyed by shooting from 12 Flamers and 4 Changebringers! 2 rounds was all it took!

Latro
08-10-2006, 16:51
It was a damned tournament for my Dwarfs! A shared third place overall and only 2 pts behind second place ... if only I would have a painted army (+5 pts) :(

Report should be up somewhere around wednesday-ish.