PDA

View Full Version : Is Gmail trying to fool me?

Sgt John Keel
01-04-2005, 09:49
Well, they say that they are giving us one more gigabyte of storage. Are they trying to fool me, or are they just mad? It's not that I'm ever going to use that much space. (Ok, in about 30 years, but anyway...)

/Adrian

Hercco
01-04-2005, 11:06
Well, they say that they are giving us one more gigabyte of storage. Are they trying to fool me, or are they just mad? It's not that I'm ever going to use that much space. (Ok, in about 30 years, but anyway...)

/Adrian

No. It's real. Just see this diagram (https://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/images/infinity.gif).

lord_fenric
01-04-2005, 12:02
Its real..... but the way gmail works means that filling up the space wont take that much time (relativly).

Normally when you send a mail with an attachment the mail server wont save the attachment as part of the outgoing mail, gmail does, meaning you end up with a lot of emails with attachments floating around in the system, which add together quickly.

Lady Bastet
02-04-2005, 09:24
I fail to see why Gmail needs to give so much space, now were it Hotmail I would sort of understand. I personally think the hotmail disclaimer should be-

"you can and oh lets face it! you probably will... have your account spammed into oblivion"

So does this mean we can e-mail... sorry gmail each other video CD files?

Edit: How do you know Gmail themselves are not being decieved by Tzzench and/or the Deciever?

Sgt John Keel
02-04-2005, 12:47
So does this mean we can e-mail... sorry gmail each other video CD files?

Nope. Still 10 Mb attachment limit.

/Adrian

Wolflord Bloodangel
04-04-2005, 01:04
Meh, Ive got my gmail account, and its just not as fun to use as hotmail, it just feels odd. They could give me 200gig, and Id still only use it to archive my old hotmail emails, and with 250mb it looks like Ill need to do that in about 10-15years...

Sure you get the odd spam in hotmail, but its not much unless you carelessly post your email address around the web.

Kargos Bloodspit
04-04-2005, 14:04
Basically Gmail are getting the actual storage space really really cheap. They just dont back it up. Only the first Gig is backed up (or at least thats the general theory me and some friends have come up with). As such they dont need to pay much to get all that space. Its more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Nobody in their right mind is going to use that much space, unless they run some kind of pirate music corporation from their inbox.