Brick
04-10-2006, 20:26
Could somebody be so kind as to explain to what this is all about? Thanks

Simsandwich
04-10-2006, 20:35
Do you have the Rulebook?

Hellfury
04-10-2006, 20:40
First, you will need the 4th ed. hardbound rulebook for 40K to use it.

Second, it is a small scale, squad based game involving small three man units of brutes. Think of batman and robin as the killteam, and the penguin and his lackeys as the brute leader and brute squads, respectivly.

It is quite fun, and merits a large consideration in the gaming world for its ease of play. Keep in mind that this is a loose set of rules based on the 40k rules, so it is more for fun than competition.

That said, I enjoy kill team considerably more than I like playing regular 40K.

GW even went so far as to modify Kill team even further so that you could play spacehulk in 4th edition style. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/space-hulk/1/)

You may also like combat patrol. it is basically "40k in a flash" if you remember seeing the article in white dwarf.

Playa
05-10-2006, 00:18
Heym

what this is

http://www.patrolclash.org.uk/

and

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/rules/killteams/default.htm

HTH

Playa

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 08:59
it's a 40k skirmish game.
i was reading the rules for it last night -- sounds fun :D

I may have to do it -- make up a unit of Imperial Guard desparados (kinda like the wild west -- just with lasguns). I wonder if I can get a squad leader to be armed with two Laspistols for effect (would count as two combat weapons after all, even if he can only fire one in the shooting phase)

I was already thinking of converting up a load of catachans as The Warriors (from the film) for my Necromunda Gang, so this may have to be my next IG conversion project (as I'm not gonna play IG in 40k)

Getz
05-10-2006, 09:30
I may have to do it -- make up a unit of Imperial Guard desparados (kinda like the wild west -- just with lasguns). I wonder if I can get a squad leader to be armed with two Laspistols for effect (would count as two combat weapons after all, even if he can only fire one in the shooting phase)

How about giving him a master crafted Plasma Pistol and a Power Weapon then model him with two plasma pistols? The master crafted Plasma pistol behaves as if it was twin linked and he gets to "shoot" it in CC and ignore armour saves...

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 11:29
because you can't give a character more than 40pts of wargear:

Power weapon = 15pts
Master Crafting = 15 pts
that's 30pts already!

tell me, is it possible to have imperial guard squads armed with a laspistol and a ccw instead of a lasgun?

Festus
05-10-2006, 11:45
Hi

tell me, is it possible to have imperial guard squads armed with a laspistol and a ccw instead of a lasgun?
Yes, via Doctrines...

Festus

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 11:46
ooooo
**hastily makes plans for wild-west Desperado kill-team**

Gabriel
05-10-2006, 11:54
4-5 GK's (can't remember how many you're allowed) and a justicar absolutely whup the tar out of anything - kill team wise - that can be thrown at them. Especially against chaos if you buy sacred incense! All those init 3 marines make me laugh! :)

Getz
05-10-2006, 12:11
because you can't give a character more than 40pts of wargear:

Power weapon = 15pts
Master Crafting = 15 pts
that's 30pts already!

Power Weapon = 5pts
Plasma Pistol = 10 points
Master Crafting = 15 points

Total = 30 points, however, only the mastercrafting cost counts towards you wargear allocation with the plasma pistol (check the master crafting rules in the codex) so that's actually only 20 points - besides, what else are you going to give him anyway? Honofica Imperialis is illegal in Kill Team and there isn't much else worth taking...

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 12:28
not necessarily, as you're only allowed 160pts in total. GK are aroud 20pts per model, right? Taking into account you HAVE to upgrade one to a justicar, and then allow for wargear -- that's not a lot compared to some armies. Especially Tyranids (7pts per Spinegaunt? I'll have me some of that!).

jacobus
05-10-2006, 12:38
I haven't played many games of Kill Team but damn it's good! Personally I go for an Eldar team comprised of a mixed bag of Aspect Warriors.

Only problem I've found with the game is that your kill team acts as a single squad so can't break coherency, can't target different Brute squads. I mean even the Last Chancers can be broken down into smaller teams and it's because of them that the idea of Kill Team came about!

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 12:41
I have to say what got me interested is the pics of the Eldar Pirates kill team in the rule book (using 6 guardians and two rangers).... I like those and if i was a good enough modeller i'd try and use those styles for a CWE army.

jacobus
05-10-2006, 12:47
Though admittedly the Eldar Pirate kill team is illegal in Kill Team rules, 2 weapons with the Heavy rule you see! Though I suppose they could be used in friendly games....

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 12:52
they're part of the mutable rules tho, so your opponent gets an extra brute squad and an extra 10pts to spend on his Brute Boss!

jacobus
05-10-2006, 12:54
I though it was under the Immutable laws?! :confused:
(Which incidentally can be broken but grant more bonuses to the Brute player if they permit the rule break)

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 12:55
i'll have to check that out later
:wtf:

jacobus
05-10-2006, 12:59
<please let me be right, please let me be right>

ahem...:angel:

Personally, I dunno why that's a limitation, just another points sink really. I mean, I wouldn't have a problem going up against more than one heavy weapon, after all they all have to be fired at the same Brute squad anyway *shrugs*

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 13:05
In all fairness that Eldar Pirates kill team was pretty much breaking a LOAD of mutable rules: 2 rangers? +1sq, +10pts. 3 types of squad (Guardian Def, Guardian Storm, Rangers)? +1sq, +10pts. 1 Storm Guardian (to act as "Sarge")? +1sq, +10pts. 7 Guardians? +1sq, +10pts. This is a total of +40pts on the Brute Boss and +4 Brute Squads. Seeing as how there are two Sniper Rifles, 7 Shuricats and a Shuritol (hehehehehe), that's not a lot of shooting. Rifles can't shoot if they move, Shuricats/tols won't be in range if they don't. PLUS all brutes get Klaxon markers each time the Kill Team shoots

The Song of Spears
05-10-2006, 15:43
Depending on how familiar you are with KT, i think they are best played in regards to a Campaign setting where there is a reason for the skirmish. It helps build a reason into why there are certian squads available (i.e if you are playing IG the KT would have the same doctorines as you regular army as that is what they would be a detachment from for this particualr scenario)

Also IMO, every brute squad has a base view distance of 4, with the armies out there that have init 2, it makes it WAAY to easy to win when i just have to scoot around their pituful vision.

Also if the are not challenging for your kill team, then make them harder, otherwise you are just wasting your time (IMO)

Atherakhia
05-10-2006, 16:55
each klaxon marker accrued adds 1" to the sight distance, and klaxon markers are placed on units when the KT shoots, or the Brute squad spots them.

Brick
05-10-2006, 22:11
WOW!! thanks for the great read guys!! I have read the pages in the rule book now, and have come to a decision to do a kill team inspired by Ben Counters great “Grey Knight” novel. Justicar Alaric will lead his small squad against impossible odds. What do you guys think? i have to say im excited about it!!

Latro_
05-10-2006, 23:13
kill team was a real buzz game when the new book came out.
I dont see it played too much anymore, 40k in 40mins is still consistent however.

Sekhmet
05-10-2006, 23:21
3 immortals + 2 pariahs + camo gear = fun. You can walk backwards and kill one brute squad at a time, then hide and wait for klaxons to go down.

Latro_
05-10-2006, 23:49
i always thought 30 grots would make a good kill team :P

Atherakhia
06-10-2006, 07:52
LMFAO
oddly enough I was thinking the same about Ripper Swarms LOL

Inq. Veltane
06-10-2006, 12:37
Is anyone else feeling the urge to do a Harlequin Kill Team?

Atherakhia
06-10-2006, 14:59
Not particularly.
Troops. You may take 100pts of Troops. not elites LOL

The Song of Spears
06-10-2006, 15:05
Not particularly.
Troops. You may take 100pts of Troops. not elites LOL

Incorrect. You may take 160 points of any models from any single unit entry(you may even mix and match squads by breaking a law for price though). There are laws or what kind of models you can take, such as no more than 12 (sorry no grot kill teams) no more than 1 wound (sorry no rippers) etc etc... but then again some of those laws can be broken for a price.

Tastyfish
06-10-2006, 23:05
Planning on doing a Tau kill team based off the unused alien concept sketchs, will probably use the LatD list (with its wide range of mutants and big mutants)

Thinking a squig and an ogre for the body of the heavily armed, multiple armed character being a big mutant boss, then wolves (possibly chaos hounds) and beastmen torsos for the lion like quadropeds. Couple of kroot mercs perhaps as other kroot mercs and a HQ marine with daemonic flight or somesuch as their Tau superviser in a XV20 suit. Not sure how I would do the dronebikes, but they are certainly tempting.

Maximus_Prime
07-10-2006, 00:23
I made a grot kill team
they killed an entire brute squad of SMs

Chem-Dog
07-10-2006, 01:22
In all fairness that Eldar Pirates kill team was pretty much breaking a LOAD of mutable rules: 2 rangers? +1sq, +10pts. 3 types of squad (Guardian Def, Guardian Storm, Rangers)? +1sq, +10pts. 1 Storm Guardian (to act as "Sarge")? +1sq, +10pts. 7 Guardians? +1sq, +10pts. This is a total of +40pts on the Brute Boss and +4 Brute Squads. Seeing as how there are two Sniper Rifles, 7 Shuricats and a Shuritol (hehehehehe), that's not a lot of shooting. Rifles can't shoot if they move, Shuricats/tols won't be in range if they don't. PLUS all brutes get Klaxon markers each time the Kill Team shoots

Missing the point a little though aren't we? The simple application of a couple troops from different units applied with a dose of ingenuity makes a stonking good looking Unit.

LMFAO
oddly enough I was thinking the same about Ripper Swarms LOL

3 wounds = not allowed :(

Is anyone else feeling the urge to do a Harlequin Kill Team?

The Harlequins should instantaneoulsy make Kill Team THE game to play OR make it the game nobody wants to play.

Personaly I'm working on an Inquisitor's warband, The Inquisitor actually represents an Accolyte on a mission for his master with a few loyal Henchmen.

Edzard
07-10-2006, 09:05
I made a grot kill team
they killed an entire brute squad of SMs

Haha, i'm gonna try this!