PDA

View Full Version : Save the ratlingun

Slekith
05-10-2006, 09:32
As a skaven player, I'd like to know how ppl are using their ratlinguns and warpfire thrower now that they can be targeted without restrictions.

vorac
05-10-2006, 09:48
they're not, every skaven player i know has shelved them, and i am not complaining, they were abusive and more powerfull than elven boltthrowers for practically half the price, now warpfire throwers those were much more fair and in character.

neXus6
05-10-2006, 10:07
Hide weapon team behind unit.
Move unit out of the way and shoot.

Doesn't seem to hard to me.

Infact considering Skavens access to cheap skirmishers it's not a problem at all, just have a small screen.

Slekith
05-10-2006, 10:21
Hide weapon team behind unit.
Move unit out of the way and shoot.

Doesn't seem to hard to me.

Infact considering Skavens access to cheap skirmishers it's not a problem at all, just have a small screen.

It doesn't seem but it is, unless you use skirmishers (which are not cheap at all) as a shield 'cos if you don't you can't use this tactic. The ratling gun has 15" range (I guess:D it's 38cm in Spain) and a small infantry unit, say 20 slaves, it's 10 cm (4") wide. That means, you have to be AT LEAST 11" close to the enemy. , and that's quite close. Not to mention you need to spend 40p for that unit, plus 65 for the ratlingun it's a total of 105!! Not a bargain anymore....

Revlid
05-10-2006, 10:33
It doesn't seem but it is, unless you use skirmishers (which are not cheap at all) as a shield 'cos if you don't you can't use this tactic. The ratling gun has 15" range (I guess:D it's 38cm in Spain) and a small infantry unit, say 20 slaves, it's 10 cm (4") wide. That means, you have to be AT LEAST 11" close to the enemy. , and that's quite close. Not to mention you need to spend 40p for that unit, plus 65 for the ratlingun it's a total of 105!! Not a bargain anymore....

Wow. You have to pay 105 points to get a unit of 20 models and an overpowered warmachine. Clearly, a tragedy.
And Skaven have access to the cheapest skirmishers in the game. USE THEM!

Chiron
05-10-2006, 10:35
it's a total of 105!! Not a bargain anymore....

absolutely not, its a fortune for a reliable machine gun and a unit meant to distract the enemy and die in the name of the horned rat :rolleyes:

Freak Ona Leash
05-10-2006, 10:52
Freak would say most skaven players are using less ratling guns now. Which is a good thing, as they were ovwerpowered. But they arent useless now. They are still a great warmachine, you just have to put actual thought into using them. Yes, Freak knows it is unfair and that GW sucks for making you have to think in their wargame but it is the sad truth :(

ZomboCom
05-10-2006, 11:06
Rattling guns are now what they always should have been, a support unit useful for flank protection etc.

Place one behind your units, and bingo, fast cav and flyers beware. Nothing will be able to come round behind you now.

Previously rattling guns were probably the single most broken thing in warhammer. Now they're still extremely powerful, just a little more fragile. They're still a perfectly useful choice, it's just that skaven players have been spoiled by having it far too easy for too long.