PDA

View Full Version : Special Factions

Champion of Biel-Tan
05-10-2006, 12:43
Me and my friends where going to have a little tournament today and we decided not to use special factions. But what counts as a special faction?
Are SM chapters special factions or feral ork lists?
So what's the definition (spelling?) of a special faction?

Llothlian
05-10-2006, 13:13
Just take straight basic Codex lists. No Blood Angels, no Craftworld Eldar (although I think that codex is out dated now), now Feral Orcs etc. I always would say no traits, since most armies basic codex is really outdated.

Rigel
05-10-2006, 13:58
This should also include special deployment formations represented in Codexes: Specifically Farsight Enclave Armies; Lysander Wings etc.

Velict
05-10-2006, 14:27
Any army list that is not a standard list for that army. This includes, but is not limited to:

Space Marine non-Codex Chapters/Traits, Special Characters that change army list choices (ala Farsight), Craftworld Eldar Lists, Armoured Companies, Feral Orks, Kroot Mercenaries, and more.

TheWarSmith
05-10-2006, 14:54
Exactly, just limit army selection to the BASIC list, no variations.

The one thing i'd be iffy on are chaos lists. Should they have to go black legion?

Velict
05-10-2006, 15:05
Meh...that is the problem, isn't it?

Chaos, I'd say go with the normal rules for Legion armies. It's in the Codex, and it's just as updated and balanced as the rest of the Chaos Codex (and going to Black Legion would kill half of Chaos player's armies).

The only problem would be a 5 year old codex army getting wiped out by Min-Maxed Iron Warriors or such :(

Zerosoul
05-10-2006, 15:24
Me and my friends where going to have a little tournament today and we decided not to use special factions. But what counts as a special faction?
Are SM chapters special factions or feral ork lists?
So what's the definition (spelling?) of a special faction?

Shouldn't that be for you and your friend to decide? If you've decided not to use them, then surely you should know what they are.

Champion of Biel-Tan
05-10-2006, 15:52
Well we decided not to use special lists but not special traits and/or doctrines and such.
i lost though :(