PDA

View Full Version : Morality of eating Aliens.....

jimbobodoll
06-10-2006, 13:33
The title says it all. What is the morality of eating aliens? Sounds a bit freaky doesn't it? But why not? It isn't cannabalism because they aren't human... Surely space marines do (Flesh Tearers especially), but why not good ol hungry guardsman? The imperium preaches the alien as worthless inferior scum anyway... Is it just bipedal prejudice not to eat somethin that looks vaguely human? What about non humanoid aliens? Or, to extend the arguement further, what if GW introduced sentient aliens that looked exactly like cows... What are the ethics then? Finally, Grox sure aint native to earth so they are alien and humans eat them....
In summation, why not chow down of grilled Eldar? :confused:

Your thoughts?

wascloud
06-10-2006, 13:38
they probably all taste real bad;)
and anyway, you are what you eat, so if you do 'chow down' on some eldar, then you become one and get lynched for it!!!

Josiah
06-10-2006, 13:41
Associating with aliens is heresy, and being a heretic usualy results in death.

But I still eat them.

CELS
06-10-2006, 13:42
Yeah, I've thought about this as well. I think it's a bit of a grey area, because of the changing fluff (i.e. the fluff on grox is older than the new fluff where all aliens are an abomination and mockery of the God-Emperor).

I suppose the ethical reason for not eating Eldar is that all aliens who are a threat to the Imperium of man and who might get in their way of their destiny as the rulers of the universe, are considered unholy or whatever you want to call it. It would be like a jew scarfing down swastika-shaped cookies during WWII :p

Does it make sense? Nope. But then, the decisions to treat cows as holy isn't entirely based on logics either. (No offense, anyone. I'm just saying it's a matter of faith)

Ikkaan
06-10-2006, 14:14
Even the iom agrees that xenos are capable of high intelligence. They are just cowards, inferior, etc. And they are enemys of mankind. Enemys. Not food. You donīt eat your enemys unless your cultural background encourages it. Most imperial cultures donīt have customs of eating your enemy, so itīs no topic to talk about.

It would be the same discussion if the earth is invaded by grey big-eyed aliens tomorrow and you tell a u.s. marine to eat the remains. He would give you funny looks.

Llothlian
06-10-2006, 14:22
If I were armed with a Melta Gun and a cow ran at me I wouldn't think twice about eating it. :p

Kegluneq
06-10-2006, 14:29
Eating unknown organisms = baaad. Odds are that they may have intolerably high levels of particular chemicals within their bodies that would poison any non-Marine; they probably wouldn't taste all that good on the whole anyway.

*imagines accidentally eating ork spores...*

Voronwe[MQ]
06-10-2006, 14:36
Eating unknown organisms = baaad. Odds are that they may have intolerably high levels of particular chemicals within their bodies that would poison any non-Marine; they probably wouldn't taste all that good on the whole anyway.

*imagines accidentally eating ork spores...*

Yes, it'd be like eating a human from another, different, long-since established world; one simply can't eat one and expect to survive easily. Different bacteria fauna/flora is one thing, viruses and the victim's own organic components something else.
Now this is if you were a cannibal, which 99.99% of all Imperial citizens isn't, but I wouldn't mind flaming a cow:D

Kage2020
06-10-2006, 14:52
I doubt it would be considered ammoral, but I'm guessing that it would be considered a "taboo food". Corruption can spread from unlikely sources, after all.

Kage

Ko Improbable
06-10-2006, 15:05
I doubt it would be considered ammoral, but I'm guessing that it would be considered a "taboo food". Corruption can spread from unlikely sources, after all.

Kage

My $0.02: I think that a Guard regiment that is cut off from resupply and is facing the choices of A.) Starve, B.) Eat each other, or C.) Find out if Orks are edible, will chose option C first. It might be something like Colonel Whatshisname ordering some soldier he's taken a disliking to, to eat an Ork steak and have the medics monitor him to see if it's had a too bad an effect on him for it to become a regiment-wide order to subsist off of dead Orks.

Most likely, it could result in an unhealthy dose of attention from the Ordo Xenos, who would fear some kind of taint, but most people are willing to take "die later" over "die sooner," even if their career is to get shot at on a daily basis.

Some really devout regiments would probably prefer to starve or cannibalize, but I think the majority will pick a guinea pig and find out if Eldar Burgers can be added to the menu in extreme situations.

And, a bit of information on real-world situations. Human-like doesn't mean humans won't eat them. People eat chimpansees, which are the closest relatives to humans.

Ikkaan
06-10-2006, 15:38
IF i was joe guardsman and i was left to A) starve or b) eat each other or C) eat dead orks...

i would choose D) eat squigs. Still high hazard food, but the recognization factor: "Animal" is a lot better.

Llothlian
06-10-2006, 15:41
If you eat Orc, you eat the spores, so do you get Orcs growing inside you? :D

Tymell
06-10-2006, 15:46
By our standards today, it would be debatable, though kind of depends what you mean by "aliens". Simply creatures from another planet, then they would probably just be classed as animals from this planet, and therefore the same rules would be applicable. If you mean sentient beings, then today at least there would big debate about how justified it is.

Purely in the 40K universe I'd say it would largely depend on the culture the people come from. There are so many differing worlds and ways within the Imperium that there would be a lot of different views on it. The purely Imperial view would probably frown upon it, but I think most guard would do it. If they have no problem killing them, and are drilled from an early age to think of aliens as worthless scum, then why not? The only reason they might have an aversion I suppose is because they wouldn't be used to thinking of them as a food source as such, which could put you off.

But that isn't morality, so I kinda strayed off-topic there. Morally speaking I think they'd be fine with it, the main objection would probably be from staunch upholders of the Imperial creed, who might claim that to consume an alien is heretical. So if stuck without supplies I think guard would probably eat the commissar first, then the aliens ;)

Species would of course play a role too. Taking the ones we know of, Necrons are obviously not edible, so let's leave them. Tyranids might leave people suspicious, simply because I'd worry about any number of toxins or other such things in them. Eldar and Tau might cause more moral worries than others simply because of their physical similarity to humans.

The most likely candidates to get eaten would probably be either Orks or Kroot (oh the delicious [pun intended, sorry] irony! :D ).

Incidentally, with Orks, could that count as a vegitarian option since they're grown from fungus? :p

If you eat Orc, you eat the spores, so do you get Orcs growing inside you?

Were you the one who as a child worried about fruit growing in you when you ate the seeds? ;)

Voronwe[MQ]
06-10-2006, 15:51
People have eaten their dead comrades in extreme isolated emergency situations. And sometimes you must take risks. Eating a alien is a risk:p

Llothlian
06-10-2006, 15:58
Were you the one who as a child worried about fruit growing in you when you ate the seeds? ;)

An apple is slightly different than an Ork. They do drift through space (the spores) and populate planets. Slightly more survivable than a seed. :P

lapis_lazuli
06-10-2006, 16:00
It's human nature to ascribe anthropomorphic attributes to living creatures. It would be even more pronounced for humanoid races like Orks, Eldar and Tau. In the Galaxy of Damnation piece in the 3rd Ed rulebook, the author chastises those who anthropomorphise the Eldar simply because they look human. In Xenology, some Imperial Guardsmen give a humorous nickname to an Ork boss they encounter regularly. And in the old Codex: Tau, a Rogue Trader strikes up something approaching a friendship with a Tau merchant.

So eating sentient beings like those above would almost certainly be repulsive to most people in the Imperium. The most obvious exceptions would seem to be a) If your supply lines have been cut and it's a choice between eating enemy corpses or starving (as noted by other posters already) and b) If you come from a culture with unusual beliefs (such a warrior culture where eating the enemy is seen as a great honour or a particularly zealous culture that views all aliens as nothing more than tasty vermin).

Of course, alien crops and livestock that have been familiar among human society for thousands of years (such as the grox and rhinodon) are a different matter. They're just that - crops and livestock. Any objection to eating them would be based on toxicity rather than morals.

Voronwe[MQ]
06-10-2006, 16:04
Zealous bastards thinking xenos is tasty vermin? That sounds a bit extremistic in the Adeptus Ministorum, but just what you expected to find:D

Kage2020
06-10-2006, 16:28
There is a difference between taboo foods and the pragmatic requirement to consume said foods. Consider the story of the football team lost in the Andes in 1973 which was the focus of the film, Alive.

Kage

Voronwe[MQ]
06-10-2006, 16:37
A isolated emergency situation. Very true.

Sarge
06-10-2006, 17:34
And, a bit of information on real-world situations. Human-like doesn't mean humans won't eat them. People eat chimpansees, which are the closest relatives to humans.

Yes, but chimps don't look human, or even vaguely attractive as the Eldar, so I don't see the connection. Now most moral implications actually stim from a human beings sexual impulses (Fraud), and it isn't hard to see how a man would find it easier to eat another man over eating a woman. Think about it, the body prepares us our entire lives to reproduce and in doing so builds in certain stigmatas that would other wise make it difficult within the society we live in to reproduce.

Now on a side note, many of you have rated certain victims of canabalism in this fashion:
Kroot/Ork - Tau - Eldar - Human
With Necron and Tyranid out on their own, the first of which is unedible and the second of which would require adapting ones self to toxins like the boys of Catachan Swamprats did in the Catachan codex. But what you also notice is that those species with indeterminate sexes are first, Kroot and Ork, followed by the vaugly human Tau, than the much more humanoid Eldar, followed by human beings themselves. Why is this? Fraud would have you beleive it's because out of all potential mates (or rape victims) that Kroot and Ork are last while the more humanoid races, Tau and Eldar, would be first. Think about it, you're stranded on a planet with a viable ecosystem and either a Tau or Eldar honey, I'm sure before long you're going to give up on rescue (as you have no way to hail ships) and just enjoy life with your new xeno mate as you both live off the land.

Now this is all from the human perspective, from the Kroot perspective eating is a form of breeding, you ingest the genes of your prey and they become part of you, to pass on to your offspring, to hopefully strengthen the kindred (Kroot community).

Hope my interesting insight has gotten you to start thinking about other possiblities of what morality stims from. But as it has been stated before, only the staunchest supporters of Imperial conduct would outright refuse canabalism, while the other guardsmen would resort to it if the curcumstances were dire enough.

LostTemplar
06-10-2006, 17:40
Given the reaction of the Guardsmen to the Kroot, and the general human (well, in our society at least) reaction to canibalism, i would believe that it is as much of a tabu/offense to the imperium as it is today.

Besides, Aliens are impure, filthy things... And you wouldn't want to eat impure, filthy things. Besides, other than kroot, eatign the dead seems to be something slightly out ofo rder in the general wh40k universe.

Tymell
06-10-2006, 17:46
Besides, Aliens are impure, filthy things... And you wouldn't want to eat impure, filthy things.

There are still many people eating at KFC and Macdonalds. Anything's possible :p

Dat Wildboy
06-10-2006, 17:47
i don't think anyone would eat a tyranid, even if they wren't toxic. kroot won't eat tyranids and they eat any meat, so i don't think any human would.

i'd imagine they'd go mad, it would be like tapping into the hive mind through your stomach. you'd froth at the mouth, your guts explode and you die very painfully, all the time screaming in agony from the corrosive venom too.

tasty.

Icarus
06-10-2006, 17:52
"Remember Fry, if you kill anyone - eat their heart... to gain their courage.... their rich tasty courage.....mmmm..."

jfrazell
06-10-2006, 17:53
Its only immoral if they taste bad. :angel:

Mmm....chicken fried stealer legs. The COlonel would approve...

Sarge
06-10-2006, 18:00
Yeah, but you must first allocate your body to their toxins.

Lothlanathorian
06-10-2006, 18:43
Yes, but chimps don't look human, or even vaguely attractive as the Eldar, so I don't see the connection. Now most moral implications actually stim from a human beings sexual impulses (Fraud), and it isn't hard to see how a man would find it easier to eat another man over eating a woman. Think about it, the body prepares us our entire lives to reproduce and in doing so builds in certain stigmatas that would other wise make it difficult within the society we live in to reproduce.

Now on a side note, many of you have rated certain victims of canabalism in this fashion:
Kroot/Ork - Tau - Eldar - Human
With Necron and Tyranid out on their own, the first of which is unedible and the second of which would require adapting ones self to toxins like the boys of Catachan Swamprats did in the Catachan codex. But what you also notice is that those species with indeterminate sexes are first, Kroot and Ork, followed by the vaugly human Tau, than the much more humanoid Eldar, followed by human beings themselves. Why is this? Fraud would have you beleive it's because out of all potential mates (or rape victims) that Kroot and Ork are last while the more humanoid races, Tau and Eldar, would be first. Think about it, you're stranded on a planet with a viable ecosystem and either a Tau or Eldar honey, I'm sure before long you're going to give up on rescue (as you have no way to hail ships) and just enjoy life with your new xeno mate as you both live off the land.

Now this is all from the human perspective, from the Kroot perspective eating is a form of breeding, you ingest the genes of your prey and they become part of you, to pass on to your offspring, to hopefully strengthen the kindred (Kroot community).

Hope my interesting insight has gotten you to start thinking about other possiblities of what morality stims from. But as it has been stated before, only the staunchest supporters of Imperial conduct would outright refuse canabalism, while the other guardsmen would resort to it if the curcumstances were dire enough.

I like it mispelled as 'Fraud', one could call that a 'Freudian Slip'.

Though I don't agree with the way Freud layed out his psychological philosophies, I do agree with the order the list here was placed in simply because the less human it looks, the easier it would be for me to want to eat it. And Orks, IMHO, do count as a vegetable lol.

As for the 'Nids, I don't think that it is possible to eat them at all for a normal human. I think that, for the most part, Marines wouldn't even be able to eat them. Tyranids aren't even from our galaxy and their every body part is adapted as a weapon, even their own blood. I don't see anything other than the big digestive pools they use to break down matter as being able to eat them.

Sarge
06-10-2006, 18:53
Yeah, spell check didn't catch that, so neither did I lol

lapis_lazuli
06-10-2006, 19:25
Think about it, you're stranded on a planet with a viable ecosystem and either a Tau or Eldar honey, I'm sure before long you're going to give up on rescue (as you have no way to hail ships) and just enjoy life with your new xeno mate as you both live off the land.

Erm... if I understand your meaning by "enjoy life", I wouldn't recommend it! Think of all the unpleasant, potentially lethal, alien infections you would catch. :eyebrows:

jimbobodoll
06-10-2006, 19:32
Interesting posts put forward.... I understand the biological aspects problems of Eldar burgers (et al) and i like the idea of an NCO picking on a runt as a test diner.... I can easily see zealous (death cult assassin types?) imperial citizens viewing aliens as completly inferior (therefore non humanising, 0 empathy) chowing down on said Eldar burgers in order to continue the Emperor's holy work. The Emperor commands humaninty to cleanse the alien and rule the galaxy, that requires eating, and about that the Emporer seems a bit quieter... ;)

I'd personally have no problem eating qu'orl or H'rudd if i was hungry enough and it was safe and cooked thoroughly....

Final slightly OT post... but i started this thread so nurr..... and its amusing.... Alien rights protestors in 40k? "No eating aliens, aliens have rights too!" Tehehehehe.....

Sarge
06-10-2006, 19:37
Erm... if I understand your meaning by "enjoy life", I wouldn't recommend it! Think of all the unpleasant, potentially lethal, alien infections you would catch. :eyebrows:

Oh and you think human females are any safer?

Lothlanathorian
06-10-2006, 20:20
Eldar are stalked by temptations from Slaanesh, so I don't see disease being so bad lol. And, as for protesters for alien rights, I think they would definitely get dead courtesy the =][=. And who is to say that Eldar STDs would even be communicable to a human? BUT, the point is, you could all the way htrough, people.

sanctusmortis
06-10-2006, 21:04
It also scales as to intelligence. People don't like to eat things which can communicate. You will note that, as the list goes does, the creatures become more communicable...

Kage2020
06-10-2006, 21:45
One might argue the point of dolphins... ;)

Kage

Sarge
06-10-2006, 21:50
It also scales as to intelligence. People don't like to eat things which can communicate. You will note that, as the list goes does, the creatures become more communicable...

Except humans would be second to last (just above ork and kroot)

Horusaurus
06-10-2006, 22:00
I don't think Imperials would have a problem eating aliens because of their intelligence/sentience. More likely they would not want to eat them because they are xenos filth and thus are unclean. Sort of like how some religions prohibit eating pork, shellfish, etc. It would be more a case of "eating aliens is wrong because they're gross" rather than "eating aliens is wrong because they have feelings".

People eat chimpansees, which are the closest relatives to humans.
And Chimpanzees eat people! It's all part of the circle of life.

El_Phen
06-10-2006, 22:11
One might argue the point of dolphins... ;)

Kage

They're TASTY! :D

jimbobodoll
06-10-2006, 22:42
I don't think Imperials would have a problem eating aliens because of their intelligence/sentience. More likely they would not want to eat them because they are xenos filth and thus are unclean. Sort of like how some religions prohibit eating pork, shellfish, etc. It would be more a case of "eating aliens is wrong because they're gross" rather than "eating aliens is wrong because they have feelings".

And Chimpanzees eat people! It's all part of the circle of life.

I agree with your general... but i feel you over extend your arguement when you refer to, "imperials". You seriously refer to a galaxy of uncountable gazillions of humans with that kinda generalisation? Your analogies to shellfish and pork today are valid... but even on this single little planet, along with those people who dont eat those foods there are people who eat everything else imaginable, rats (can't control their bladder, filthy things), insects (cockroaches?) excetera.....

I don't think in a galaxy, "where there is only war!" there would be time for squeamish front line grunts so the idea that eating aliens is gross or unpleasent or that alien flesh is unclean (based on the evidence we have about humanity already... ) seems moot. Can somebody get me to change my mind?

Ork burgers grilled on a hot chimera/russ engine (soya?!) and chowed down with 'recaf' with crushed 'stims' as a seasoning seems a nice idea to me... :D

Lothlanathorian
07-10-2006, 08:36
I agree with your general... but i feel you over extend your arguement when you refer to, "imperials". You seriously refer to a galaxy of uncountable gazillions of humans with that kinda generalisation? Your analogies to shellfish and pork today are valid... but even on this single little planet, along with those people who dont eat those foods there are people who eat everything else imaginable, rats (can't control their bladder, filthy things), insects (cockroaches?) excetera.....

I don't think in a galaxy, "where there is only war!" there would be time for squeamish front line grunts so the idea that eating aliens is gross or unpleasent or that alien flesh is unclean (based on the evidence we have about humanity already... ) seems moot. Can somebody get me to change my mind?

Ork burgers grilled on a hot chimera/russ engine (soya?!) and chowed down with 'recaf' with crushed 'stims' as a seasoning seems a nice idea to me... :D

Though deep fried Ork cook thoroughly in the right holy unguents can be nice, I must say, I am not a fan of choking on the spores.

To make a point, however, I must say that yes, there are all sorts of people here on Earth that eat all sorts of weird, crazy things, in 40K there is the religious aspect. If the Ecclessiarchy were to say, 'Hey, don't eat Eldar corpses or the Emperor will punish you for it,' I doubt many people would disobey.

Dakkagor
07-10-2006, 09:42
I think orks are toxic (or unpaletable enough) to stop anyone eating them. I think in the gorkamorka spore fluff, the scientist mentioned the idea of "farming" orks, and said that orks where so inedible that the idea was impractical, despite the stupidly harsh conditions you could grow ork spores in and still expect a decent sized crop.
Fungus beer has a taste, alcohol content and texture of petrol with flour in it. I doubt its drinkable. Squig pie (the other ork staple) might be edible, but I doubt many orks practice food hygiene.
Eldar on the other hand, they look like you could get some tasty eatin of them. . .

lapis_lazuli
07-10-2006, 11:11
@Sarge and Lothlanathorian: Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. I wasn't talking so much about your garden variety STDs as alien bacteria, enzymes, secretions etc. that would have an unpredictable effect on the human body. You might, for example, have the misfortune of withdrawing a melted stump from a Tau female because she is so acidic. Or not. Funnily enough, this is not a direction GW has chosen to take its fluff so we don't know how compatible species are (well except Tyranid lovin' is pretty much guaranteed to be a bad idea)... :angel:

Erm, anyway, I'd best get back on topic before this train of thought gets me in trouble! I agree with jimbobodoll that we can't really generalise. Religious prohibitions may play a part in people's attitudes to eating aliens, but ultimately it's down to the individual and their culture/upbringing as to what extent they consider certain species sentient and others not. Someone from Imperial planet A may look at an Eldar and see something resembling a person, and thus feel uncomfortable about eating one, while someone else from Imperial planet B might completely fail to make the connection.

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 13:53
One might think it's about 'not eating humans', but I can guarantee that it is rather more about 'not eating intelligent beings'. Then there is always cannibals and the occasional insane 'tasty-xeno' cult, but theirs is another story as is the effects of their diet.
Anyway, in isolated emergency situations, one eats dead, grudgingly, but one have to do if one is to have any chance of survival.

Da Reddaneks
07-10-2006, 14:17
If you eat Orc, you eat the spores, so do you get Orcs growing inside you? :D
Realistically, probably so. because of the survivability of ork spores you would probably have to cook / burn ork "meat" to the point of loosing all nutritional value. In the ork fluff it talks about having to instigate basically scortched earth policies to "cleanse" an area of ork infestation. It is very easy to a person getting a "fungus infection" considering that the insides of a living being are pretty much idea places for ork fungus to grow. i.e. warm and moist. While orks may be potentially viable sources of food the downside of it would probably ensure that they never become part of a regular menu.

IF i was joe guardsman and i was left to A) starve or b) eat each other or C) eat dead orks... i would choose D) eat squigs. Still high hazard food, but the recognization factor: "Animal" is a lot better.
in a pinch i would eat squigs too. but once again because of the ork physiology and squigs basically having the same spore issues orks i doubt they would be a viable long term food option either.

i don't think anyone would eat a tyranid, even if they wren't toxic.
Once again, i think nids issues as a food source would be more about microscopic organisinisms than taste or being able to prepare it. I am sure there is some "crab leg" part that could be prepared and eaten in a pinch but simply cooking the meat would probably not kill the nid micro-organisisms. Eating nid on a wide scale would, i am sure, result in a reversion of 2nd edition rules where we have genestealer cultists and such.

we don't know how compatible species are (well except Tyranid lovin' is pretty much guaranteed to be a bad idea.
If its good enough for Captain Kirk then its good enough for me. I would take my chances with eldar, dark eldar, tau, deamonette or necron if she were hot!

Tymell
07-10-2006, 14:51
Realistically, probably so. because of the survivability of ork spores you would probably have to cook / burn ork "meat" to the point of loosing all nutritional value. In the ork fluff it talks about having to instigate basically scortched earth policies to "cleanse" an area of ork infestation. It is very easy to a person getting a "fungus infection" considering that the insides of a living being are pretty much idea places for ork fungus to grow. i.e. warm and moist. While orks may be potentially viable sources of food the downside of it would probably ensure that they never become part of a regular menu.

Hmmm...personally I don't see Ork spores realistically being able to grow in a person. The reason they need to burn Ork corpses is because they release spores after death, not because the spores themselves are likely to grow into Orks. If I recall, the Ork codex says that the majority of Ork spores will never find a suitable place to settle, because they need very specific conditions. Scorched earth tactics are simply because the Ork spores are hard to detect and get rid of by any other means, and because any Orks killed can release more spores. Individually Ork spores are not likely to grow, it's just that they release so many of them. So considering how potentially hostile the human digestive system is I doubt the spores would have a chance to survive and settle.

Horusaurus
07-10-2006, 15:00
;994523']One might think it's about 'not eating humans', but I can guarantee that it is rather more about 'not eating intelligent beings'.
I don't think so. This is 40k we're talking about here. Modern moral sensibilities, like respect for other intelligent beings, do not apply. In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium people kill intelligent beings all the time without batting an eye.

Skrittiblak
07-10-2006, 15:09
No one would eat Tyranids or Orks man. Thats just gross. And eldar look too much like people.

Tymell
07-10-2006, 15:24
No one would eat Tyranids or Orks man. Thats just gross. And eldar look too much like people.

Take a look at the diet of people nowadays. What's so much more gross about Orks or Nids? (not that I'm saying I would or it's healthy)

Da Reddaneks
07-10-2006, 15:25
Hmmm...personally I don't see Ork spores realistically being able to grow in a person. The reason they need to burn Ork corpses is because they release spores after death, not because the spores themselves are likely to grow into Orks. If I recall, the Ork codex says that the majority of Ork spores will never find a suitable place to settle, because they need very specific conditions. Scorched earth tactics are simply because the Ork spores are hard to detect and get rid of by any other means, and because any Orks killed can release more spores. Individually Ork spores are not likely to grow, it's just that they release so many of them. So considering how potentially hostile the human digestive system is I doubt the spores would have a chance to survive and settle.
Fungal infections (http://www.doctorfungus.org/mycoses/human/human_index.htm) grow inside poor unfortunate souls all the time. They are extremely bad infections to have as many are extremely resistant to drugs, human immune system and even things like chemotherapy. People are often treated with steroids for fungal infection initially over long periods of time and if that does not work will often have to undergo surgery to physically remove the infected areas. Fungal infections are some of the worst and most virulent infections a person can have. And unfortunately they are not uncommon.

This all, of course, depends of the type of fungus but I think its a fair assumption to assume that ork fungus would be rather virulent.

As far as fluff goes, the bodies are burned to eliminate the spores to prevent further spreading. Orkoid spores thrive in warm moist environments but also have reproduces on ice-worlds. The Anzion effect on the spores is the primary thing which, according to the fluff, reduces or increases the growth of the spores. The more orks in the area the greater the chance of the spores developing into orks. On a world where a battle was raging between orks and humans i believe the anzion effect on the spores would be quite strong. However, even without any anzion effect at all there are still references to spontaneous outbreaks of orkoids in the depths of hive cities where no orks had been previous reported.

Regardless (as this discussion is the very definition of moot), my point is not that by simply eating an "ork steak" one would become Kane from “Alien” and his chest would erupt with a dancing snotling doing a ditty like the WB Frog but that as a source of food it would be considered, far more likely than not, unacceptable because of micro-organism contamination.

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 15:44
I don't think so. This is 40k we're talking about here. Modern moral sensibilities, like respect for other intelligent beings, do not apply. In the grim darkness of the 41st millenium people kill intelligent beings all the time without batting an eye.

Wars as always, then? That's just normal, and applies here too. But there is a basic sensibility of respect towards intelligent beings, and the Imperium understands they are smart, skilled etc. but the Adeptus Ministorum's dogmas teaches that they are impure xenos and deserves a good flaming, and as such most thinks that too.

jimbobodoll
07-10-2006, 17:51
(more) Re: Ork Burgers...

Does the fantasy fluff about Grom the paunch hold, and is it of use as a parallel for humans eating cooked orks? Grom ate raw troll flesh which constanty regnerates inside him causing him pain... But.... He did gain some measure of regeneration.

Might a similar thing be possible for your average Joe Guardsman? after eating enough ork burgers, a guardsman might start to go a bit greenish in skin colour and find themselves a but more resilient to pain? After all the fungal spores would spread throught the organism.

On the other hand... Other creatures must eat Orks... And yet i dont know of any fluff which mentions unpleasent side effects for them. Also, Orks are only half fungus they are also half meat... (mmmmm, nutricious!)

What about Ogryns eating 'non human' aliens? Is that more acceptable to the imagination? An ogryn chowing down on a Tau leg as it blasts away with its ripper gun? And if that is ok, why not humans eating Ogryns? ;)

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 17:57
Hm, I don't think so, because:
1) Warhammer Orcs and Warhammer 40'000 Orks is biologically different.
2) A greenskin would perhaps react that way in 40k (gaining some measure of their 'chosen' diet's characteristics: given that they eats almost solely that creature for enough time) but not a human. Perhaps the fungoid spores would kill a human and give them something to feed on without irritating natural self-defence cells that attacks them and prevents any serious reproduction or mutation.

ArtificerArmour
08-10-2006, 11:26
Jus tto take this in a different direction, what about Xenos eating humans and other xenos?

We know for a fact the kroot do. The Orks also probably do. The Tau and Eldar would consider this barbaric and unnecessary (and probably share the Vulcan point of view that touching food with the hand is disgusting and should be avoided).

Chaos followers probably wouldn't thin twice about cooking a guardsman (some taking it more for a torture point of view, keeping the thing still alive while they eat it). There's even a passage about devram korda pulping an entire planets populaton for a vial of elixer. Dark Eldar consume people's souls, so why not their bodies? Necrons and nids are also pretty much based on consuming others.

And we all know of the Space marines eating each others brains, but that's another matter.

Triceron
08-10-2006, 20:25
I don't see why not. They probably all taste like chicken anyways. :P

I don't think the Imperium would do that though, unless it was a means of survival. Standardization is what the IG are all about, they're not accustomed to 'change', and I wouldn't see any typical IG human even wanting to eat an alien, even in starve-or-death situations. I can totally see those situations leading to temporary survival before the inquisition comes and purges their uncleanliness :D

Da Reddaneks
08-10-2006, 21:35
after eating enough ork burgers, a guardsman might start to go a bit greenish in skin color and find themselves a but more resilient to pain? After all the fungal spores would spread thought the organism.

On the other hand... Other creatures must eat Orks... And yet i don’t know of any fluff which mentions unpleasant side effects for them. Also, Orks are only half fungus they are also half meat... (mmmmm, nutritious!)
I agree with the previous postulation that eating ork on a regular basis would probably simply result in the death of the guardsman after a period of months. Subjecting a human, or almost any other animal for that matter, to large doses of a virulent fungus on a regular basis would simply result in the need for serious hospitalization or a mortician.

Nids eat / assimilate orks but that is a totally different biological process as i understand it. Kroot eat orks when they can according to the fluff but i would imagine either their immune systems are far superior to humans as they are omnivores or their adaptive natures assimilate the ork DNA as referenced in the kroot Merc list with their "Ork toughness" thing they can buy.

As some of the old / long time players may remember the assimilation of orks by genestealers has been addressed. And I only mention this for the sake of reference but in the old 2nd edition and earlier fluff (waaargh the orks or freebooters) genestealers assimilate orks and look like genestealers. However, each generation of genestealer afterwards gains more "ork traits" and fewer "genestealer traits." After 4 generations the ork genome has reasserted itself and the genestealer is for all intents and purposes an ork.

I don't see why not. They probably all taste like chicken anyways. :P
i cant believe this thread went all the way to page 6 before someone made a "tastes like chicken" joke.