PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elves, the miniatures

takenoko
28-06-2005, 20:24
Ok, now ev've seen all them rules, and watched at least close to all the new miniatures. So what do you guys say? I've come to a few conclusions...

a) Wood Elves do have the most beautiful plastics ever done by GW. Honestly. The Dryads are great, but the true power lies with them Glade Riders! Who on Earth sculpted them? They're sooo pretty! :eek: Glade Guard is a great regiment to, but the new Elven steeds are just so good.

b) GW's gone dynamic. Anyone else out there that noticed the difference between the first character models for 6'th edition (Empire and Orcs) and the new Woodsies? Man, they're jumping! I wonder if this is a new trend that will continue through all the forthcoming races, or if it is elves-only... Once more: Who sculpted the characters, wardancers and waywatchers?

c) GW must have let one ***** do one job for an otherwise excellent range. Who did the Wild Riders? :mad: They're terrible! They look like something taken from one of the really old editions, static riders with both hands raised, holding a weapon in each hand. I swear, if they let Ally Morison in on that one, I'll never forgive them!

But that's just my personal thoughts. Please, post your own comments on the great new miniatures, and please, someone, answer my sculptor queries, please! :D

takenoko
28-06-2005, 20:26
Damn it! I just realised that this is not a rumour. But on the other hand, neither is the commentary thread on the new rules, so I should be fine. Any angry mods out there, please forgive a humble foreigner! :p

Lady's Champion
28-06-2005, 20:29
Ti sort of a rumour- they are rumoured models

Jedi152
29-06-2005, 09:21
b) GW's gone dynamic. Anyone else out there that noticed the difference between the first character models for 6'th edition (Empire and Orcs) and the new Woodsies? Man, they're jumping! I wonder if this is a new trend that will continue through all the forthcoming races, or if it is elves-only... Once more: Who sculpted the characters, wardancers and waywatchers?
This will most probably just be WE. They are meant to be dynamic!

I agree the glade riders are the best models i think. New elven steeds are the best steed models ion a long time. GG are good, but seem to look less good everytime i see them.

Wardancers are amazing, not too sure about waywatchers. The old ones seemed to be more stealthy than these ones, which is how i saw them. Not keen on archer models (especially elite archer units) waving around swords either. I know they have HW's, but i just don't like it!

And i know a lot of people don't like it, but i'm a big fan of the new treeman. It looks different to the old ones as i guess they had to get as far away from the look of the LOTR Ents as possible.

All in all, i think i will get the battalion box and make a small force and see how they play. I think i might try painting them in an autumn theme too...

Galonthar
29-06-2005, 11:06
hmm....
LORDS`N`HEROES:

fighty lords`n`heroes: awesome models... simply.... unbelievable (exept the chaos knig .....AHEM.... mouted *wood elf* highborn, it looks nice,. but it isn`t a WE)

spelweaver / singer: YAY those chicks are great!,.. I like the magic plants they stand on. I don`t really know what to think about the male one,.. lets just say: weird. (BTW,.. what the other thing on the GW site with the woodie pics?, it hasn`t been with the rumour pics of the mages? (the "not flying" one))

CORE:

- GG: OMFG(positive), but they should have left the heads uncovered,... unless it was done with hoods,... I HATE giving the MODEL armour (soo unwelfy, those helmets) but not making that a possibility in the rules (what i`ve heard of it)

- GL: :eek: awesome :eek: , pity they lose the little armour they had... :cries:

- dryads: sweet, and the rules,.. wel.. euhm... RULE :)

-eternal guard: too stiff,.. but further,.. I like em ( you always need at least one rank`n`file unit)

SPECIAL:

- wardancers; MUUUUCH better that in the previous ed. I like the idea of adding females (in whole the army,...)

- treekin: freaky,... but cool

- pigeo....err.... WARHAWK ri.. oh yeah..SURFERS..: don`t know what to think about them....maybe you could be convert them nicely...

RARE:
treeman: nice

waywatchers; like jedi152 said.... the old ones were stealthier,... on the other side,.. the new ones aren`t THAT bad

risK
29-06-2005, 13:10
I'm glad not having to buy the Treeman or a the WildRiders... (since there is no inner voice forcing me to do so...)
But the rest is pretty good.

That not-floating mage is male and wears a half mask, painted too dark...

Falcon
29-06-2005, 16:28
I have to say, I really like the new treeman.

Face it, its not an ENT, or a man. It's closer to a tree deamon. This realy ancient sentinent tree gets p*ssed off enough that it tears its roots out and charge the enemy with the only intent to turn them into fertilizer. The new model shows that. I can also now see why it would cause terror.

With all due respect, the old model was nice, but never terror causing. (Granted, it was scary ... a bit at least. Like something out of 'Mr Bunsy got lost in the woods :p )

Besided, they had to make it more scary than the Dryads. Now those girls are scary :eek: You can actually hear the ice wind sing through those rib cages.

Xxcha
29-06-2005, 21:00
I believe the reason for GW going all 'dynamic' is to compete with confrontation. Currently, if you want a model just to paint you go to them because they are more detailed and more varried. GW wants this to stop and has pulled out all the stops with this wood elf range.

Avian
29-06-2005, 22:05
I must say that the only models I really like are the Dryads and the Hero with the Great weapon. The rest range from "fine" to, well, NOT fine (Tree-Kin, etc.) if you ask me.

malisteen
10-07-2005, 15:49
I love most of the range. The models I don't love are the treeman, treekin, warhawks, and wild riders, all of which I think are at least good. While I'll still use the warhawks (which I think are perfect apart from the canvas bags on their heads), I'm going to use old treemen as my treekin, treebeard as my treeman, and converted glade riders as my wild riders.

Brandir
10-07-2005, 16:16
The range of Wood Elves is a good sign for the future. Along with the new High Elves, we have seen the introduction of some superb plastics and metals that are clearly superior to GW's rivals. Perhaps the success of some rivals (I am thinking Rackham and Privateer) has encouraged GW to try and compete on quality. Go capitalism!

I just hope that this trend continues and we see similar dynamic models for the Dwarves, Goblins/Orcs and possibly Skaven we may see next year. Although the terms dynamic and Dwarf are possibly not that compatible. Or perhaps they are - Trollslayers jumping up and around like the Wardancer models would be good!

malisteen
10-07-2005, 17:00
While I think the brets still hold the prize for best GW mini range overall, the new wood elves are quite impressive, and promise good things for the future.

Galonthar
10-07-2005, 17:29
While I think the brets still hold the prize for best GW mini range overall, the new wood elves are quite impressive, and promise good things for the future.
hmm.... IMO the brets weren`t that great (duh, they`re humies..... *don`t kick mee!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: *),... or well at least the knights were ok, but the infantry, and especially the yeomen created a great "OMFG, take that away, they`re hurting my eyes!!" effect (they`re just as stiff as the WE wild hunt), GW could have made them great models (they`ve proven their skill at fast cav. with the new GL)

kanluwen
10-07-2005, 18:09
The mounted yeomen were the same as the mounted squires from last incarnation of the Bretonnian book. They made a few minor alterations near as I could tell, that's about it.

samw
12-07-2005, 03:25
You're kidding? The Men at arms with the Tower shields are ACE! Great, true, peasants, not this poncy empire nonsense. And plastic Pegasi, and the Questing knghts, wow! I'll admit the Grail Knights were a tad disappointing but we can't have everything.

malisteen
13-07-2005, 19:05
I wasn't really counting the mounted yoemen, since as far as I can tell they're the same from last edition. The rest of the bret peasants were great, imo. Lots of personality.

Jericho
14-07-2005, 01:42
Actually not all the Wild Riders are in the same both weapons raised pose... at least one is holding his spear in both hands, and at least one has it levelled. The standard bearer has his straight up too, obviously.