PDA

View Full Version : Sign of the Aquila?

Pingomannen
06-10-2006, 21:40
Anyone know how this salute looks like?

I'm reading Horus Rising now and every once in a while this salute shows up.

So, anyone know how exactly this is done?
I mean, is it like a normal salute with the hands on the side of the head or what?

Anyone know?

Sephiroth
06-10-2006, 22:00
You know how you make the 'birdie' shadow puppet using your hands? Do that over your chest. That's the sign of the Aquila.

Elcampbello
06-10-2006, 22:07
I believe it's made my linking the thumbs with your hands across the chest. could be wrong though.

Kage2020
06-10-2006, 22:51
Check out the film The Crow (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109506/). There's a scene towards the end where the "Big Baddie" does an impression of a crow. Remind sme of the sign of the Aquila... ;)

Kage

jimbobodoll
06-10-2006, 23:02
lookee here... Yes i am bored... :chrome:

Kage2020
06-10-2006, 23:03
<contented sigh>

Exactly. :D

Kage

Kromando33
07-10-2006, 04:30
Aquila is the symbol of the Imperial Eagle, it's a relatively new salute in HR as their still in the Great Crusade, as some older Luna Wolf officers still use the Unity salute which is kinda like beating your fist across your chest, kind like a Roman-like salute. It was used by the proto-Astartes in the Unification Wars on Terra.

Stormhammers
07-10-2006, 04:53
Check out the film The Crow (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109506/). There's a scene towards the end where the "Big Baddie" does an impression of a crow. Remind sme of the sign of the Aquila... ;)

Kage

heh, "caw caw, bang! F_ck I'm dead!" yeah, I've nevr thought of it like that

7thOffensive
07-10-2006, 06:26
Its your hands over your chest locking at the thumb.
me thinks.

Kegluneq
07-10-2006, 09:24
I suspect that they're more likely to be doing a one handed version, perhaps with the fingers splayed. Two handed salutes (a la the Full Rimmer) wouldn't be possible whilst holding a boltgun, after all.

The two handed version also looks incredibly sissy...

Lord of ???
07-10-2006, 09:30
i actually think that the sign of the Aquila is exactly the same style as some who makes the sign of the cross on their chest

As i see people making the sign of the Aquila at the mention of a bad omen such as Chaos or the mention of an alien invasion

I just cant see people linking their hands like that.

CELS
07-10-2006, 10:59
Well, I hate to break it to you, Lord of ???, but you're just plain wrong :p

Sir-Killedalot
07-10-2006, 11:15
In one off the last pages in the Imperial Guard codex (62) where they explain Imperial Guard thermes. It says that the sign of aquila is "a sign of devotion to the Imperium that formes the Imperial eagle, by crossing the hands with the palms pressed to chest and thumbs linked."

When Black Roses Bloom
07-10-2006, 12:04
Aquila is one of the family of Eagles but in this case I think that actually the Imperial Aquila derives from the Imperial Buzantium Aquila/Former Roman Empire. The meaning of this insignia what that their Imperium was spread from east to west, hence and the two headed Eagle-the two heads that where watching over the Imperium that spread from West to East:

Byzantium

http://www.nationstates.net/images/flags/uploads/-byzantium--.jpg

Rome

http://www.bible-history.com/archaeology/rome/2-roman-eagle-bb.jpg

Warhammer 40K Universe

http://www.nightserpent.com/minis/aquila.jpg

Note that the Romean Aquila turns its head towards the East (the Romean conquered lands in comparison to the geographical location of Rome) and after the unison with the Byzantine Empire (or Holy Romean Empire) the Aquila became two headed to show that the new Empire was spread from West (Rome and it's conquered lands) through East (Asia Minor, Asia and Far East).

heretics bane
07-10-2006, 12:10
i already started a thread about this.......search for it as it has all the stuff your looking for

Kage2020
07-10-2006, 13:09
You'll find that this threads get repeated quite regularly, Heretics Bane. Don't worry too much over it.

Kage

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 13:44
Palms against chest, thumbs linked and fingers spread. That's the sign of the Aquila.

EDIT:
There is always the eagle wing-charm to superstitiously ward against evils. We see it in Blind: it consists of one simply pressing ones fingers on one hand against each other stiffly whilst pressing the thumb into the palm.

Stormhammers
07-10-2006, 16:04
In one off the last pages in the Imperial Guard codex (62) where they explain Imperial Guard thermes. It says that the sign of aquila is "a sign of devotion to the Imperium that formes the Imperial eagle, by crossing the hands with the palms pressed to chest and thumbs linked."

took y'all long enough, I was waiting for someone to mention that!

cybertron2000uk
07-10-2006, 17:45
ah so thats what it looks like...I thought it would be more level....
its still dumb tho......fist to the heart is better

Kegluneq
07-10-2006, 18:11
There is a difference between sign and salute, of course. It may be that they're doing a British army salute with the thumb crossed to the palm - although clenched fist to breastplate is obviously more dramatic...

Gen.Steiner
07-10-2006, 18:16
I think salutes vary from world to world and thus regiment to regiment. The sign of the aquila is the equivalent of crossing yourself, and will thus be very widespread, if not ubiquitous.

Of course, different sects of the Imperial Church will have subtly different signs and ways of doing it, but by the sound of it the sign of the aquila is the most common.

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 18:21
Hm, though I think that the only veriation to the certain Aquila sign can be with your two lower fingers on each hand bent into palm; if you ain't a mutant, of course.:D

Pingomannen
07-10-2006, 18:41
I thought that it looked that way, with the thumbes locked and all.

It just strikes me as silly-looking having a 2,5 meter Space Marine doing shadow figures. But that's me.

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 18:52
Yes, but confess it's a damned good, original idea of GW for once:)

Sarge
07-10-2006, 19:04
The same can be said of the french salute, but thats not what we're here to discuss now is it? No, were here to discuss what the salute of the Aquila would be.

Two handed salute is most likely in prayer, an action that many people do by holding there hands before them lips either in one large mass or pressed palm to palm. So most likely the two handed aquila would be the thumbs interlocked and held over the chest in prayer.

While the one handed salute whould most likely be a millitary salute, with one hand tumb parted from the rest of the hand, and held against the chest.

Sybaronde
08-10-2006, 09:50
As far as I remember from Abnett's books, the Sign of the Aquila is more a show of faith (like christians hold their hands when praying), rather then a military salute. Though, this may vary from the religious culture in the regiments.

Gen.Steiner
08-10-2006, 12:16
I'm having great difficulty forming my right hand into an aquila's wing and using it as a credible military salute. My favourite so far is to hold it flat, thumb crooked to form one of the heads, and place it against my left breast.

That frees the left arm to hold things like your rifle, or officer's umbrella, and you can still come to attention, stand at ease, march, etc, while saluting like this.

Alternatively, we can argue that the salute is still raising the hand to the brow, but Cailus might get miffed at that because it's european. :p

I think my favourite is the Roman Salute, because, well, Imperium... Rome... it just fits.

Kegluneq
08-10-2006, 19:01
Erk, imagine if it were the Roman salute with the hand opened and the thumb crooked - it would basically be a Nazi salute. Vaguely fitting, I suppose...

Gen.Steiner
08-10-2006, 19:22
The Italian fascists and the NSDAP used the Roman salute for a reason - it drew on the imagery of Imperial Rome, which they both wished to link to (albeit for different reasons).

I think that the Roman salute fits very well indeed with the Imperium...

lapis_lazuli
08-10-2006, 19:25
I think that actually the Imperial Aquila derives from the Imperial Buzantium Aquila/Former Roman Empire.

Hmm... I always thought the Imperial Aquila derived from the Hittite cult symbol of the double-head eagle (minus the helpless fluffy wabbits). Since a) the Emperor supposedly came from prehistoric Turkey and b) the Imperium is a theocracy, so an emblem that is at once political and religious would be fitting.

But that's just me I guess...

Gen.Steiner
08-10-2006, 19:28
Hmm... I always thought the Imperial Aquila derived from the Hittite cult symbol of the double-head eagle (minus the helpless fluffy wabbits). Since a) the Emperor supposedly came from prehistoric Turkey and b) the Imperium is a theocracy, so an emblem that is at once political and religious would be fitting.

But that's just me I guess...

It's most likely that GW got it from the generic double-headed eagle of many Empires, e.g Czarist Russia (IIRC) and the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

The fact that it fits the Hittites is probably just happy coincidence... :D

Sikkukkut
09-10-2006, 01:36
There are also references in a couple of BL books - I think The Traitor's Hand is one - to "pressing the palm", which is an abbreviated version of the gesture. You hook the thumb around and press it into your palm while splaying your fingers, creating the appearance of an outstretched wing.

Gen.Steiner
09-10-2006, 10:24
There are also references in a couple of BL books - I think The Traitor's Hand is one - to "pressing the palm", which is an abbreviated version of the gesture.

Aye, and probably quite useful for soldiers in combat who can't take both hands off their weapon. As far as I can remember, pressing the palm also makes an appearance in the Ravenor books (and probably other books by Abnett).

Llothlian
09-10-2006, 13:04
It is quite commonly used in Faith and Fire by the Sisters of Battle as a sign of faith. They also use it along with saying Ave Imperator, sorta like a salute when they get an order.

rushputin
09-10-2006, 13:06
As far as I remember from Abnett's books, the Sign of the Aquila is more a show of faith (like christians hold their hands when praying), rather then a military salute. Though, this may vary from the religious culture in the regiments.

But this is 40k. Religion, military service, it's the same thing!

MacVurrich
09-10-2006, 13:23
The Sign of the Aquila is mentioned a lot in Gaunts Ghost

Only problem I have with the hands on the Chest is that it often reffered to in the books while the Soliders are on guard or has a Gun in one of their hands.

Voronwe[MQ]
09-10-2006, 19:33
I suppose they made the sign of the Aquila fast; after all, they're used with it.

Kage2020
09-10-2006, 20:42
One has to wonder if there is a "brief" version that doesn't involve both hands. After all, dropping your lasgun in reflex to make the sign of the Aquila when you see that daemon is not the most sensible of moves.

Kage

Gen.Steiner
09-10-2006, 21:05
I think that's probably either a statment or the shortened, "pressing the palm" version... the combat one, I mean.

Hammer Of Heretics
09-10-2006, 22:00
too right, sissy is the word, bet the Emperor had many a laugh. Bet he still does in his golden throne. what suckers mankind are

Kage2020
09-10-2006, 22:01
Ah, couldn't remember an example of that one. Then again, that's not surprising. Most of the Guard novels and inclusions tend to be rather generic.

Kage

MacVurrich
11-10-2006, 08:50
keeping coming to mind the Connan the Barbarin movie with Arnie , where he the pit fighter and the salute he give after each victory

Paddy
11-10-2006, 10:17
There are also references in a couple of BL books - I think The Traitor's Hand is one - to "pressing the palm", which is an abbreviated version of the gesture. You hook the thumb around and press it into your palm while splaying your fingers, creating the appearance of an outstretched wing.

That sounds more like the good luck gesture from the Ciaphus Cain books (refered to as thumbing your palm).

Gen.Steiner
11-10-2006, 18:58
It's quite possible that the various authors borrow from each other to create a coherent universe, you know. :p So it's quite possible that the 'thumbing of the palm' is the same as the 'pressing of the palm'...

And crossing oneself is as much a good luck gesture as a religious one.

Voronwe[MQ]
11-10-2006, 19:01
One has to wonder if there is a "brief" version that doesn't involve both hands. After all, dropping your lasgun in reflex to make the sign of the Aquila when you see that daemon is not the most sensible of moves.

Kage

That's right, so it'll be pressing the palm then; i.e, the eagle wing.

EDIT:
It's good if the authors borrow from each other to create a coherent universe: after all, diversity or locality won't get lost just because of that, and it gives something to build on, too.

CELS
19-10-2006, 01:12
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I just need to share this video with you. As you can see, the sign of the Aquila is already in full use. Brrrr!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HzK1JxQtCPo

Gen.Steiner
19-10-2006, 08:56
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH, heresy, treason, etc etc, burn the sinners! :p

MacVurrich
19-10-2006, 12:37
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGH, heresy, treason, etc etc, burn the sinners! :p

Your spell check is playing up

that should be burn the singers

:p

Voronwe[MQ]
19-10-2006, 13:35
Your spell check is playing up

that should be burn the singers

:p

Anyway, just burn them!

Though nice girls. :)

cav da man
19-10-2006, 18:41
Anyone know how this salute looks like?

I'm reading Horus Rising now and every once in a while this salute shows up.

So, anyone know how exactly this is done?
I mean, is it like a normal salute with the hands on the side of the head or what?

Anyone know?

As far as salutes go you would have to qualify a normal one, they change wildy depending on where you go and what culture they have there.