PDA

View Full Version : What is the Status of Hive Fleet Leviathian?

Da Reddaneks
07-10-2006, 13:28
At the end of Warriors of Ultramar hive fleet levithian had its back broken with the destruction of the mother hive ship. Leviathian was "relatively" easy pickings (for nid ships anyway) at that point and its threat value had been greatly stymied.

in the nid codex it mentions how kryptman, through a sneaky oomie trick, diverted leviathin into the ork empire of octavius where it has not been heard from since.

is there any other news about this hive fleet?

wascloud
07-10-2006, 13:45
the hive fleet in warriors of ultramar was a splinter fleet, it was only a fraction of leviathen's strength. as for your question, i dont think anyone knows because no one wants to go ask the orks how its going! :p
wascloud

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 14:00
The Hive Fleet in Warriors of Ultramar was one of Leviathan's 'jaws', ie, one half of it. A huge area of space between the slowly closing 'jaws' was cut off by an interesting Horror in the Warp effect, making communication and shipping hard in that area, as well as isolating it from the wide Imperium.
Leviathan was tricked inte Octavius by the Corporaptor (genestealers) offspring-generations' psychic beacon-signal. Tasty ground, it indicated. And it was. Now the digested orks' heavily engineered DNA might prove to be far worse than Leviathan is, but some of history's worse crimes have been committed by the self-righteous, so no surprise there.:D

Some guy (UK)
07-10-2006, 14:00
I can remember something about the Imperium buying themselves about a century to prepare for the full onslaught of this particular hivefleet, but, it's anyone's guess what the nid's could mutate to with Ork DNA in there.

Later, Some Guy

ryng_sting
07-10-2006, 14:05
Strictly speaking, splinter fleets are small clusters of vessels from Hive Fleet Kraken that escaped the Tyranid's crushing defeat at Ichar IV.

The Ultramarines destroyed Leviathan's lead tendril, the fleet nearest the Solar System. This was only half the Tyranid's strength, as their newest fleet is moving in a two-pronged formation, not unlike the shape of a closing jaw. The best the Imperium could hope for was to divert the other half into the Octavius system. The Imperium has stationed some astropaths and deathwatch teams to monitor the progress of the Octavius War. In strict time-terms this has only just happened. And there is no mention of estimates of when the Imperium thinks one side will prevail whatsoever.

So far neither side is winning, and each is taking a heavy toll on the other. If the Orks respond en masse to the threat, than the resulting Waaagh! will eventually spill over into the Imperium with armies of beefed-up veteran Orks at its forefront, courtesy of a prolonged confict and the Orks' unique metabolism; and if the 'nids win, they'll spill over into the Imperium with armies of beefed-up 'nids at its forefront, courtesy of the 'nids having ate their greens.

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 14:07
Really? Read my post above and you might change your mind about that 'deadlock' state.

Da Reddaneks
07-10-2006, 14:28
;994532']Now the digested orks' heavily engineered DNA might prove to be far worse than Leviathan is

The best the Imperium could hope for was to divert the other half into the Octavius system, where it remains today. Neither side seems able to gain the upper hand - yet.
That is actually as i understand it. In the nid codex it basically talks about "if" the nids defeat the orks it should take at least a hundred years to do so. But i have not read anything to tell us how the nids or orks are doing in that battle. But i think we can all agree that it would be a war of such a scale that it would make armageddon look like a kindergarden wrestling match.

;994547']Really? Read my post above and you might change your mind about that 'deadlock' state.
As far as i can tell it is only speculation that nids are winning in the octavius war. Or that orks are for that matter. that is basically my question, is there any Black Library source or other GW reference for what happened next?

All other things being equal, personally, i believe that based on the reproductive and recycling nature of both species it probably would result in a deadlock.

Voronwe[MQ]
07-10-2006, 15:49
QUOTE:
As far as i can tell it is only speculation that nids are winning in the octavius war. Or that orks are for that matter. that is basically my question, is there any Black Library source or other GW reference for what happened next?

All other things being equal, personally, i believe that based on the reproductive and recycling nature of both species it probably would result in a deadlock.

RE:
I meant that stying said that it was a deadlock between the Imperium and the Tyranids, though I might have misunderstood it. Status Quo won't remain in the Octavius forever, believe me. It'll be all about who's the most 'engineered' and can adapt to it best. It'll be tough, but I thinks GW hints on the Tyranids will eventually win.

ryng_sting
07-10-2006, 19:14
;994547']Really? Read my post above and you might change your mind about that 'deadlock' state.

See my post above and Codex Tyranids and you will perhaps change yours.

Da Reddaneks
07-10-2006, 22:25
If the Orks respond en masse to the threat, then the resulting Waaagh will eventually spill over into the Imperium with armies of beefed-up veteran Orks at its forefront, courtesy of a prolonged confict and the Orks' unique metabolism; and if the 'nids win, they'll spill over into the Imperium with armies of beefed-up 'nids at its forefront, courtesy of the 'nids having ate their greens.
completely agree with that conclusion of the end result. either way its going to suck for whatever imperial systems are nearby.

Maybe GW will give us a glimps of what is happening in the Octavius Empire in the new ork codex.

Khaine's Messenger
08-10-2006, 06:10
The major result of Hive Fleet Leviathen (besides stirring up the Orks but good) is the gradual colonization of worlds by the Nids. It's buried in the early 4e background, but--

A number of worlds have been taken by the Tyranids, not to be stripped of every last trace of life, but to be cultivated to provide a source of energy for the race that they may build up huge reserves before pushing further into Imperium-controlled space.

(link->here (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/galaxy-damnation/3/))

This is a major change in Nid background, and likely has its reasons...although it really hasn't been capitalized upon.

Gorbad Ironclaw
08-10-2006, 08:04
Of course, there are also the very likely option that once the war really have started, the Imperium will add there own contribution, with strikes at intended to prevent any one side from gaining a decisive advantage. Effectivly keep the deadlock going for as long as possible. And then attacking the weakened winner.

2_heads_talking
08-10-2006, 10:37
Its been done before... they've used Imperial assassins to keep rival Ork warlords fighting amongst themselves by intervening whenever one side raches a position of dominance. They could do the same in this situation.