PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Archery in Warhammer

skyfurnace
09-10-2006, 00:32
What's a good, solid unit size for average to below average archers in Warhammer? I mean, a BS of 3 isn't absolutely abhorrent... but it certainly isn't up there with an Elf or what have you.

I'm working up a horde of Orks & Goblins, and I'm thinking that two ranks of six (for a total of 12 per unit) would be a good size for the goblin archers.

Is there any advantage to going any larger than that? These guys will more than likely never stand against an assault, choosing to flee if given the option, so I don't see a huge advantage at making 24-archer strong units out of them.

Let me know what you think?

Darkspear
09-10-2006, 01:04
for poor quality archers, i suggest 2 x 10. you can deploy each unit as 2 x 5. 20s3 shots is almost standard

Lyquis
09-10-2006, 04:15
I agree with Darkspear. More archers in a unit usually just leave more standing around without los.

laughingman
09-10-2006, 06:23
goblin archers are minimum 20 not because you want to but because you have a minimum unit size of 20.

Neknoh
09-10-2006, 06:46
however, not necessarily a bad thing, do remember that all models in an archer unit can shoot at a Large Target if one would apear close enough to them for all of the models to shoot

Edric
09-10-2006, 07:57
Like it was said, you kneed to put 20... Deploy in 2 rancks (makes a wide front, I agree, too wide even...) then move towards your enemies (16 of range makes that a must...) Hom about those fanatics? Add to that ten (5+ to hit, I know it's not good) shots and whatever dammage those mushroom crazed maniachs can do, you can put a big hole in enemy formations.

But, I prefer using Wolf Raiders, more manuverability (more points too) and the possibility to outflanc enemies... Much more usefull than those lumbering buches of infantry...

Not to mention you will be clogging up charge paths, lign of sight... It will be a nightmere!

Edric

Pravus
09-10-2006, 09:50
Goblin archers do offer one interesting tactic that may be of use in some situations. With minimum unit size of 20 its always going to be a problem maximising your shooting opportunities, so a wide unit deployment seems obvious - wide enough to hide other units behind it. If we also consider that goblins don't panic orcs you could use goblins to screen your advancing orcs - if the gobbos get into shooting range so be it, if they don't so what?

The only thing I would say about doing something like that is that the orcs, with the WAAGH rule, would probably be hindered rather than helped by a gobbo screen.

For archery in general, I'd say unless you're taking an elite shooting army or a massed firepower army e.g. wood elves and empire respectively, archery is effectively a supplement to the main thrust of beating the enemy over the head with a big stick. One thing archery does excel at is threatening fast cavalry and flyers - I've seen 10 peasent bowmen panic my marauder cavalry more times than I care to remember.

Keller
09-10-2006, 22:22
With run-of-the-mill ranked infantry archers/gunners, you are generally better off with several smaller units, as opposed to large units. 2-3 units of 10 or 12 work for most armies. Its hard to deploy more than 12 wide, as then you start to block the battlefield too much. Of course, I have found it effective to mass archers on one side of the table to force enemies to the otherside, usually where they can be bottlenecked and dispatched at will. With 20-40 shots coming on one side, most opponents will try to avoid it. Another bonus of multiple smaller units is that you can divide shots, or pour them into one target to try and whipe it out completely.

If you have a skirmishing unit, such as Empire Archers, you can go as big as you feel practical. You can make them all able to shoot without blocking too much of the battlefield. Again though, multiple smaller units may be better to be able to divide shots.

Some races are a bit different when it comes to archers. Dwarves for example are known to be quite tough, and their archer units can double as combat units. Such units that intend to reach hand to hand battle should be larger, but not so large as to waste points on all of the bowmen who cannot shoot. 16-20 is about right for such units. Deploy in archer formation, thne reform when the enemy is near. Other units include HE Seaguard, Kislev Kossars, and even DE Crossbowelves w/ armor.