PDA

View Full Version : Minotaur 2250 first try

majorglory76
09-10-2006, 03:48
My first try at making a Minotaur Beast army. Wanting to go with big guys, namely so I don't have to paint so much.

Doombull (MOK, Great weapon, Hvy Armor)

3 x Minotaurs 5man(MOK, Great weapon)

Minotaurs 4man(MOK, xtra weapon)

4 x Chaos hounds 5dog

2 x Chaos Giant (Mutant Monstrosity)

Chaos Furies 6monster

Beast Herd 7 gor (Xtra weapon) 5 ungor

Bestigor herd 14 beast, 1 Gouge-horn MOK

the total is 2246. I considered making the army with mark of nurgle instead of Khorne, but I like the idea of the extra dispel dice.

Plan is to have the Doombull with the 4 man squad of minotaurs. The chaos warhounds will run in front of the Minotaur herds to soak up shots.

The Beast herd will take hits for the bestigors

I am really considering dropping second giant for centigors and a chariot to get some speed.

Let me know what you think, please tear it up and help me make it work

Lyquis
09-10-2006, 04:23
I would suggest that you run minos in units of three or four with greatweapons. Two hand weapons are not worth it.

Your beast herds should have more ungors than gors. I would switch the herd to five gors and eight ungors.

You will not need the Bestigor unit. I would take the points for more minos and hounds.

Hope this helps.:)

majorglory76
09-10-2006, 05:00
thanks for the reply.

I will switch out the Xtra hand weapons. I will lower the units to 4.

I am curious about the Ungor/Gor ratio. As I see it Ungors are your shooting soakers, then the Gors are the actual hitters. going forward Ungors are the casualties, but in combat Gors take the hits. Is this wrong or is there something I'm missing. I'm just curious about it.

Would some chariots help out?

Dark Apostle197
09-10-2006, 05:36
My friend plays a mino list. He only brought two units of minos though.(which won him the game) he runs them 4 with 1 having a standard, the other a champ, with the doom bull. a Bestigor unit led by beast lord. 5x5 hound. two giants. a chariot, 4 trolls, 5 cenitaurs(sp?). worked well in his last game

majorglory76
09-10-2006, 07:53
Updating list, trying out changes mentioned, and adding a few ideas of my own to see what happens. Keep it up, I thinking its starting to take some kind of shape.

4x Minotaurs 4 bull(MOK, Great weapon)

1 x Minotaurs 3 bull (MOK, Great weapon) Doombull goes here

5 x Chaos hounds 5dog

1 x Chaos Giant (Mutant Monstrosity)

Chaos Furies 9 monster

3 x Tuskgor Chariot

1 x Centigor 5 man

2250 on the dot.

Dropping all beastmen on foot. Calvery base or bigger only (except furies, but they are "special"). Big speed, heavy hitting.

druchii
09-10-2006, 17:44
Updating list, trying out changes mentioned, and adding a few ideas of my own to see what happens. Keep it up, I thinking its starting to take some kind of shape.

4x Minotaurs 4 bull(MOK, Great weapon)

1 x Minotaurs 3 bull (MOK, Great weapon) Doombull goes here

5 x Chaos hounds 5dog

1 x Chaos Giant (Mutant Monstrosity)

Chaos Furies 9 monster

3 x Tuskgor Chariot

1 x Centigor 5 man

2250 on the dot.

Dropping all beastmen on foot. Calvery base or bigger only (except furies, but they are "special"). Big speed, heavy hitting.

I like the look of the list.

But I have always found great strength in pairs of units. With five minotaur units, you're missing a compatible unit for one of them.

I also think you'd be completely cool for taking some chaos trolls.
If I had finished my doombull army(minotaurs are $20 each!) I would have had my Doombull running with some chaos trolls.

They're "big" guys, and they offer some variety, somehow seeing 20ish minotaurs is neat, but it lacks some depth.

I'd also hazard you to look at some dragon ogres. Man, both the models and their rules are rather spectacular. Toting such a high number of attacks, and a decent armor save, these guys can really become your "heavy hitter" unit in an army of heavy hitters.

I definately like the centigors. ALL armies need something with which to chase noisy flankers and skirmishers into the trees. Alot of people forget thet centigor can travel through woods at no additional impedement, and usually over-extend a flank on accident.

I'd drop the giant, and one chariot, and spring for either a unit of dragon ogres or a unit of trolls. Add in a 6th "hardcore" unit so you can terrorize your opponent a bit more!

d

majorglory76
09-10-2006, 20:42
A little more variaty sounds good. I've have several of these models just sitting around collecting dust, so I shouldn't have to spend too much to get this all together. The biggest problem is modifying the minotaurs from standard bearers and 2 hand weapons to great weapons. Not hard, just time consuming.

Let try list 3, keep it coming. I see it taking shape.

1 x Chaos Trolls 3 troll(Doombull goes here)

4x Minotaurs 4 bull(MOK, Great weapon) 2 units w/ light armor, spare points

1 x Dragon Ogres 4 Beast(Light Armor, Great Weapon)

6x Chaos hounds 5dog

Chaos Furies 10 monster

2 x Tuskgor Chariot

1 x Centigor 5 man

metro_gnome
09-10-2006, 21:15
find room for the 4th troll so your doombull cant be targeted...

druchii
10-10-2006, 13:28
A little more variaty sounds good. I've have several of these models just sitting around collecting dust, so I shouldn't have to spend too much to get this all together. The biggest problem is modifying the minotaurs from standard bearers and 2 hand weapons to great weapons. Not hard, just time consuming.

Let try list 3, keep it coming. I see it taking shape.

1 x Chaos Trolls 3 troll(Doombull goes here)

4x Minotaurs 4 bull(MOK, Great weapon) 2 units w/ light armor, spare points

1 x Dragon Ogres 4 Beast(Light Armor, Great Weapon)

6x Chaos hounds 5dog

Chaos Furies 10 monster

2 x Tuskgor Chariot

1 x Centigor 5 man

I like that list ALOT more.

Suddenly you've got a minimum of six(!) threatening monster units. All of which are capable of giving most rank and file fits.

The hounds add a good bit of "bait and flee" and can act as additional flankers. Remember not be too shy about getting your doggies right up in someone's face, forcing them to over extend their charge.

Although the furies are a bit on the large side, I like this. It compensates for some casualties that will inevitable come their way.

Obviously the chariots are fantastic, in tandem. Don't be affraid to stagger your deployment. Alot of people will expect you to surround your chariots with other units, you should try the refused flank sometime. In the beginning turns of the game, toss down the chariots, and a unit of hounds in a far-off corner of the board.

Try to lure your opponent into setting up some units opposit them. Then deploy everything else in another corner :D

Good list!

d

majorglory76
12-10-2006, 07:24
I'll look and see about the 4th troll.

Thanks Druchii. That may be the first compliment I have recieved on any list I've posted.

OK, now the next step to building this army. How do you think I will do competitive-wise? Is comp OK?

Also, any ideas model-wise to make it stand out. Any tricks to make it look extra spiffy?

popisdead
15-10-2006, 23:55
Take the Slaughterers Blade on your Doombul.

don't take 5 man units of minotaurs, just 3-4.

I dunno about two giants.

14 beastigors will do nothing but loose combat.

You're REALLY short on support units other than hounds.

I'd get a few small herds in there for harrassment, etc.

Also with LD 9 in the army I'd not pass up Trolls, and Centigors are just really good too.

druchii
16-10-2006, 01:12
I'll look and see about the 4th troll.

Thanks Druchii. That may be the first compliment I have recieved on any list I've posted.

OK, now the next step to building this army. How do you think I will do competitive-wise? Is comp OK?

Also, any ideas model-wise to make it stand out. Any tricks to make it look extra spiffy?

Ideally I think the army will perform admirably in comp.

You've got a wide selection of units, and only your core units(minos) threaten to over-define the army. Most of the army makes sense (ok, all of it) and it obviously fits together well.

Initially, I'd give an attempt at converting the giant. Make him a big minotaur. There's a great example in the back of the BoC book, and I think you could do something similar, easily.

You could even order a bloodthirster head ,and swap that right onto the giant's shoulders. Instant "giant-minotaur".

Take some time to "mess" with your minotaurs. The minotaurs with greatweapons models are limited, and your bound to run into the "same model syndrome". So I'd put a bit of thought into differentiating your units.

Clip the weapons off of some of the 'taurs, and swap them for some homemade items. You can easily make rather dangerous looking ball and chain-ish flails by gluing randon sprue bits together (forming the "ball") and fastening them to some cheap modelling chain.

Hell, they even move for you!

Larger great weapons would be nice, too. Take a look at the Ogre Kingdoms Ironguts, and you'll notice their greatweapons are almost as tall as they are!
Imagine HOW COOL a minotaur army would look with properly sized GWs!

Again, if you don't like the minotaur miniatures from GW, why not try out some of the Wulfen models from the rackham range? They're absolutely fantastic, and it won't be hard to imagine them following the minotaur rules.

Another neat idea I had was to buy and assemble some goblin spider riders, minus goblins.

Suddenly you've got a VERY cool, colorful and characterful unit in your doombull army!

IIRC they're also cheaper than buying the all metal doggies.

Although this idea was initially reserved for my nurgle doombull army (spiders are just creepy!) I think you could go to town painting the spiders all red/black and brassy.

regards.
d

ps. Make the army BRIGHT! Alot of players get sucked into the pitfall of dulling the colors of the army down, tyring to make it look "evil". While this might, dull colors don't grab our eyes nearly as well as bright, well done, even colors.

Try for a dull-red coat on your minotaurs' skin (I'd start off with dark flesh, red-gore, etc. approach, rounded with a glaze of red ink) Check out the painting and modelling forums, someone posted a PERFECT "red" painting guide there)

Take the Slaughterers Blade on your Doombul.

don't take 5 man units of minotaurs, just 3-4.

I dunno about two giants.

14 beastigors will do nothing but loose combat.

You're REALLY short on support units other than hounds.

I'd get a few small herds in there for harrassment, etc.

Also with LD 9 in the army I'd not pass up Trolls, and Centigors are just really good too.

Hey man, try to read the entire thread before you post. He's obviously swapped in a few different units that make the army alot more competitive now.

Azazel
16-10-2006, 01:25
That Spiders for Hounds idea is awsome. I think I'll steal that. :p

majorglory76
16-10-2006, 04:54
I will have to look into the spiders, regretfully, I already own all 30 hounds, plus some to spare.

I have to make due with GW minotaurs, my tourney coordinator is a stickler for GW models, but I can understand, that's all he sells. I definately like the idea of using weapons from Ogre kingdoms. I have only a couple greatweapon minotaurs, and I am working converting addional hand weapon minos and standard bearers.

I already have the giant done if I ever use him, I did the beast head, and replace a claw for the hand. I have him part painted with his pants looking like its assembled from various banners.

I agree the colors need to be brighter, dark and dreary looks terrible as a whole army.

Keep the ideas coming. I think it might almost be ready to play.

druchii
16-10-2006, 17:42
That Spiders for Hounds idea is awsome. I think I'll steal that. :p

Just be sure to tell people whom you stole it from :D

Another note on the Great Weapons:
While stealing them from Ironguts might LOOk cool, It'll be expensive.

I'd make my own.

I know around here, wooden dowl-rods are pretty darn cheap, and so is a basic hand drill.
I would get drilling and start making some mean-looking GWs. Fairly few supplies are needed; the affore mentoned sprue rubble, string, stones from your yard, and slightly thick card-ish material.

You can take a knife and split the rod in two, down the middle near the top, shove a rock in between, and use some string to make a sick looking "tree-hammer". You can make some easy and brutal axes from card and a dowl.

hell, if you feel frisky, make a board with nails pounded into it! Nothing says MEAN like a board with nails through it.

Oh, and I'm sorry you wasted money on the metal hounds, that makes baby d cry at night :cries:

I'd love to see pictures, too!
d