PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite magic item in the game?

NakedFisherman
09-10-2006, 12:58
I thought about some of the best-designed (and often, most fun and useful) magic items in the game and was wondering what everyone else's was.

Mine would have to be Van Horstmann's Speculum. After seeing Crom the Conqueror with one strength 3 attack it brought back all the memories of Empire Wizards fighting Vampires, Chaos Lords, Daemon Princes, and others. The best part is that it's not overpowered or too useful. At 25 points it's often wasted, but in some circumstances the Empire player can be particularly sneaky and it can make a big break in the game.

The background for it is really cool, too.

Runner-up is definitely the Fellblade. The sword that slew Nagash, drove the last of the Tomb Kings to insanity and death, and continues to make a total mess of the biggest, toughest stuff in the game can keep opponents guessing when a Warlord issues a challenge. Nothing's better than opponents refusing a challenge when the Warlord has nothing more than a Sword of Might!

blurred
09-10-2006, 13:47
Van Horstmann's speculum is indeed one of the most useful and funniest items in the game. Even greater daemons steer clear of those wimpy, glass-eyed wizards. :D

All those "M9" items like jaguar sneakers and wolf form are funny and extremely useful too. However, I'd have to say that as an orc player my favourite item is Shizzla's shiny baubles (bye bye :cries:). Hilarious and unpredictable, just the way I like it with my orcs. :)

samw
09-10-2006, 14:34
The Bretonnian Silver Lance. Auto-hit at ST6 you say? Priceless ;)

Jedi152
09-10-2006, 15:03
Ring of the Night. It's saved my vampire's **** more than once.

Dillithium
09-10-2006, 15:10
Daith's reaper is pretty nice imo, what, you passed your armor save? well why don't you try again:D

Doomclaw
09-10-2006, 15:11
book of arkhan, it really helps to get those flank charges, but I'm also in love with the hail of doom arrow, bye bye support unit

enyoss
09-10-2006, 15:15
For me it's got to be Armour of the Gods. When they gave it to us it finally gave purpose to all the Magic Swords which relied on basic strength. Then they took it away again :( Oh well...

cheers,

enyoss

truthsayer
09-10-2006, 15:16
Shaga's screamin sword or the amulet of protectyness.

Also a new found fan of Daith's reaper.

Undead_Nippler
09-10-2006, 15:45
As a Lizardmen player I really like the blade of revered tzunki... +1S and no armour saves allowed:eek:

Dtrik
09-10-2006, 16:52
As a Lizardmen player I really like the blade of revered tzunki... +1S and no armour saves allowed:eek:

Agreed, its pricey but well worth every point.

druchii
09-10-2006, 17:00
I've had a few items that always stand out.

The Ogre Kingdoms book has a few:

The thundermace; while pricey at 55pts, I love the idea of an Ogre Tyrant "dropping" a stonethrower on a unit. Ouch.

The Tenderiser; WOW is this thing mean. A tyrant in a challenge with this badboy is usually looking at a nice chunk of CR, striaight from multiplied wounds.

My final favorite is the Gauntlet of the Duel, from the Bretonnian book. I can just imagine some disreputable goon getting pimp-handed by a Bretonnian Lord/Duke, and knowing he'd never be able to live it down infront of his cronies.

skavenguy13
09-10-2006, 19:23
Skaven: warpstone amulet. Great, with a cool drawback, IMO very characterful. I almost always use it.

Orcs: Drog's armor of 1+: the only reason why I'd ever field an orc character on foot (except shamans). I think this means that my boyz will have to win their fights by themselves from now on :(

Ogres: The rock eye: the ability to see every magic item is cool and lets us deal with less nasty surprises.

DOW: Dispel scrolls :)

Azazel
10-10-2006, 00:59
Chaos Daemon Sword. Sure it isn't as effective as its point cost would suggest. I like the fluff so much it makes up for it.

metro_gnome
10-10-2006, 01:42
ok ill be the honest one then... dispel scroll...

Iron Father
10-10-2006, 02:24
Book of Hoeth... only used it once in an escalation league game (we were allowed to take a free magic item, any points) at the time i was indeed playing HE, and was rolling 4 dice and most of my spells were cast at IF. was fun. have never used it out side of that, i think lacks worth.

AngelofSorrow
10-10-2006, 03:55
For me it has to be the black maul while it is pricey but come on when my beast lord has frenzy and S7, gets to use a shield and his Initiative thats awesome.

Tutore
10-10-2006, 05:37
Perhaps the reaver bow of the high elves.

snurl
10-10-2006, 06:11
The rune of forging. Magic cannonballs.

Shaitan
10-10-2006, 07:36
I think I'll go for the Staff of Tzeentch. Being able to reroll any number of DD or PD for a spell is just so great!

Advocatus Diaboli
10-10-2006, 08:07
it's more of a skill, but since it goes under the Magic Item cost, I choose the seer honour. with the previous sistem you could always have your comet to rely on.. oh, good ole days..

lord_blackfang
10-10-2006, 09:18
TK Staff or Ravening (3d6 s2). My opponents never bother to dispel puny Str2 magic missiles. The look on their faces is priceless when I mow down whole units. But they don't learn...

devolutionary
10-10-2006, 09:27
Sword of Might baby. It seems to pop up in every list I make as the Lord's weapon.

Goq Gar
10-10-2006, 09:31
The scimitar of sun resplendent.

Scar vet + Scimmy = pwnage incarnate.

Chiron
10-10-2006, 09:38
Holy Relic, Empire lords arent for winning challenges, just surviving

The boyz
10-10-2006, 10:20
I quite like the Master Rune of Fear, this makes the unit cause fear, which can be quite handy.

Venomizer
10-10-2006, 10:46
it used to be drogs dead 'ard armour

now, it's martogs best basha............a very nice weapon in the hands of a big, angry orc :evilgrin:

Kahadras
10-10-2006, 10:54
Sword of Might baby. It seems to pop up in every list I make as the Lord's weapon.

Agreed. Finds its way into virtualy every list I play to. Its useful as it's cheap (allowing for other upgrades which are more needed like a good armour/ward save) and effects two things (your to wound roll and your opponants armour save). Even if it doesn't go on my Lord there is still a combat Hero around somewhere who could use it.

Kahadras

Gekiganger
10-10-2006, 15:37
Favorite or what I consider to be of most use?

MY fave is Weeping blades or cloak of shadows, most handy is certainly bands of power.

WLBjork
10-10-2006, 20:06
After the Dispell Scroll (or equivalent) you mean?

Rune of Gromril.

Festus
10-10-2006, 21:11
Hi

After the DMS (which is incredibly useful and equally bland), it has to be the WarBanner: 25 points for a +1 CR? I take it!

Festus

gortexgunnerson
10-10-2006, 21:39
For sueful Ruen of abttle, its a Warbanner but you have more and stick another 2 runes on that bad boy fear the units strength 50 Dwarf unit oh yer baby!

For character I like the Staff of teclis as it actually creates a magic user worthy of his fluff. I brough the Witch King down from 11 foot in a 5000 point HE DE match. Though not sure if it counts as is a special character item. So will go for book of hoeth for a similar reason. Also in straight game effective 1 Irressiable force high level spell a turn will swing battles. Give it to a guy with old lord of life and you could laugh your way to the bank

SpinO
10-10-2006, 22:00
The hail of Doom Arrow. It was the first magic item I ever used (back in Ravening Hordes) and I still think it's the best item in the game and I rarely go without it to battle.

sephiroth87
10-10-2006, 22:28
The Banner of Chalons, from Bretonnia.

Me: "I charge that unit."

Opponent: "I'm standing and shooting with my handgunners."

Me: "Sorry, my banner says you can't do that. I'm going to be running you down now."

:D

MascisMan
11-10-2006, 17:48
Mine lately has been Bindings of Slaanesh. Me and your character are going to fight no matter what you say or where he is.

Commissar Vaughn
11-10-2006, 18:29
my favourite has to be the staff of sorcery. 50pts for +1 to dispel doesnt sound like much, but it can decide a game so easily.

Last night I played in a 10000 point game with about 4 or 5 people aside. orcs and gobbos V an alliance of lizards bretonnians empire, dwarfs and chaos(?) oh and my Dogs of War.
We had a only a handful of wizards, a few levels 1s and my own level 2 grey sorcerer. we were up against an army with nearer 25 goblin and orc shamans! That was a lot of power dice against a measly 9 dispel dice! But hand all the dispel dice to my wizard and his staff with a knob on the end and he effectivly shut down the greenskins magic phase. The few spells that got through doing nothing more than bringing their units into charge range of our knights.

I spose it helped that in the 1st turn he assassinated the great shaman in the orc army by using steed of shadows to propel a great weapon armed captain across the table!

That staff always acompanies my human armies to war.

The Judge
11-10-2006, 19:54
Armour of Damnation... very nice indeed for keeping your Lord alive, even without a ward save.

sps62487
12-10-2006, 08:14
hmmm theres a few let me explain
chaos runesword- +1 s,ws,attck and i think initative let em check
gaze of gods 4plus ward cant beat that
now imo the best banner in the game banner of the gods 125 anything withing 6in is stubborn :D gotta love that

helm of many eyes alwasys strike first downside stupidy.
i beat the crap out of a de lord with the sword frome the albion campaign. lol gotta love that high leader ship:D

the axe of whatever from the beastmen book no armor saves o little chosen,ironbreakers,hereos with no wards, or bret nights (go ahead take your 5plus ward once you flee its all over for who)

theres an elf item that gets rid of 1 magic item (iforgot what its called)

o and i got a peak @ the new orc and gobbos
theres a magic banner with howmany ranks you have thats how many casting dice you add to your pool.

kyussinchains
12-10-2006, 16:29
I liked sizzlas shiny baubles, although apparently they got rid of them in the new book.

I love the golden eye of tzeentch, it's great for cannon proofing your dragon/chariot

blade of blood is great too, especially when paired with the pendant of slaanesh.

black amulet is a nice surprise item, especially if your opponent issues a challenge, I love seeing people's faces when their character dishes out a bunch of wounds only to have a couple rebound and kill him.

I love the hellheart from the ogre book, shutting down your opponent's magic phase for a turn? excellent!

Kyuss
12-10-2006, 16:40
Sword of the Hornet - nulifies my Scar-Vet's main disadvantage

Makaber
12-10-2006, 16:52
I always seem to find points for a Sword of Might somewhere. It's a lovely little item. Armour of Damnation is totally awesome on a Beast character, since you practically get the 4+ save for free, and the effect of it is pretty much as good as a 4+ ward.

Another personal favorite is the Shield of Ghrond. On a mounted Lord, it fills the role of an Enchanted Shield, and in addition provides an effect viritually identical to +1 toughness. Absolute bargain for 30 points.

Louis21
12-10-2006, 18:40
My favourite magic item, is Gromril Great Helm - I always granted it to my army standard bearer. In addition I give him Sword of Might;) .

infernus31
12-10-2006, 18:51
Charm of the Jaguar Warrior - my friend is threatening to steal the model from me it works so well

bobtheincredebleviking
13-10-2006, 12:50
destroyer of eternitys (great weapon, killing blow) i love the cpecial attack it gets where it chops all my nasty enemies to fine easily digestible slices
i'm not krazy, just part ork

ardude
13-10-2006, 16:32
as a lizardmen player I love the gleaming pendant of chotec, so funny when you make the enemy overrun in your saurus blocks, flank them the next turn
and even strike first with everything as if you charged!
evil:skull: :skull:

maze ironheart
14-10-2006, 13:08
I thought about some of the best-designed (and often, most fun and useful) magic items in the game and was wondering what everyone else's was.

Mine would have to be Van Horstmann's Speculum. After seeing Crom the Conqueror with one strength 3 attack it brought back all the memories of Empire Wizards fighting Vampires, Chaos Lords, Daemon Princes, and others. The best part is that it's not overpowered or too useful. At 25 points it's often wasted, but in some circumstances the Empire player can be particularly sneaky and it can make a big break in the game.

The background for it is really cool, too.

Runner-up is definitely the Fellblade. The sword that slew Nagash, drove the last of the Tomb Kings to insanity and death, and continues to make a total mess of the biggest, toughest stuff in the game can keep opponents guessing when a Warlord issues a challenge. Nothing's better than opponents refusing a challenge when the Warlord has nothing more than a Sword of Might!

The fellblade because its a monster of a weapon.

10th clancannach rangers
14-10-2006, 15:21
The venom sword is great fun (victims take toughness test on 2D6 or DIE) but a bit expensive to be taken to most games, but I did kill a giant with it once.

StormCrow
15-10-2006, 00:59
gotta go with the destroyer of eternities with cloak of dunes combination. Until my regular opponent figured out a lord combination to defeat him, he used to crush everything in his path.

English 2000
16-10-2006, 04:21
Cursed Book and The Banner of the Barrows

Alathir
16-10-2006, 14:22
Big fan of the amber pendant, always striking first is beautiful. But my favourite item or uh.. spite... would have to be the annoyance of netlings. That thing has made my highborn able to contend with exalted demon lords.

Jedi152
16-10-2006, 14:24
But my favourite item or uh.. spite... would have to be the annoyance of netlings. That thing has made my highborn able to contend with exalted demon lords.
Is that the challengers only hit on a 6 jobber?

I managed to nobble Crube's Branchwraith with it with a crafty double 6. I had to laugh, it was one of those had-to-be-there things.

sillywopper
16-10-2006, 15:25
the dispell scroll

ardude
16-10-2006, 18:07
lame......:p

NakedFisherman
16-10-2006, 18:22
gotta go with the destroyer of eternities with cloak of dunes combination. Until my regular opponent figured out a lord combination to defeat him, he used to crush everything in his path.

The combination of three ranks, a standard, and outnumber?

madden
18-10-2006, 20:47
:skull: The ogre seige braker plus 3 st and compareing my ws to there inititive good fun on a brusier and a steal at 30 pts.

woytek
18-10-2006, 21:06
:skull: The ogre seige braker plus 3 st and compareing my ws to there inititive good fun on a brusier and a steal at 30 pts.

UNDERPRICED!!!!!!11!1!one

Sir_Turalyon
18-10-2006, 22:41
it used to be drogs dead 'ard armour

It used to be Lady Champion's Sword - reroll all to hits and wound rolls for what - 50 points?.

Nowadays, it would be soul shadows standard - ability to flee then countercharge is invaluable for cold one knights.

Bortus
18-10-2006, 22:58
O&G player here primarily so for me it's got to be Drog's Dead 'Ard Armor, naturally, but if I had to choose a close second then it would have to be Buzgob's Knobbly Staff! Comes in very handy believe you me!

Toddums
19-10-2006, 00:52
Hellfire sword

Freak Ona Leash
19-10-2006, 00:59
Master Rune of Smiting. "Ok, so that is how many points of Overkill in that challenge?"

Melchiah
19-10-2006, 02:04
a couple comboes if been toying with for my O&G are
Martog's best basha + Bigged's Kickin boots
Sneaky Skewerer + Amulet of potectyness
The collar of zoga + Brimstone bauble

MarcoPollo
19-10-2006, 05:24
Staff of Darkoth

Finn Sourscowl
19-10-2006, 14:54
Banner of the Lady of the Lake plus the Virtue of Duty... "no you don't get any rank bonus and I get +2 combat res on top of any wounds caused". Seriously nasty Bret BSB.

I've recently fallen in love with the Rune of Slowness (or whatever it's called)... it's allowed my dwarf hammerers to get the charge on at least 3 units now :D

Alathir
19-10-2006, 15:00
Is that the challengers only hit on a 6 jobber?

I managed to nobble Crube's Branchwraith with it with a crafty double 6. I had to laugh, it was one of those had-to-be-there things.

Yeah thats the one.

Sadly last game I played, I challenged an exalted demon lord and got him down to one wound in the first round of combat... second round he rolled 3 sixes to hit.... my highborn fled, but lived to tell the tale.

wingedserpant
19-10-2006, 15:32
The new iron nashas from the new orc and gobbo list. The dispel scroll is ace and darn handy.

Atzcapotzalco
20-10-2006, 13:38
I've been playing 500 points of wood elves and at the moment my favourite item is the banner of springtide (always stand and shoot, at any range). Combined with strength 4 at close range, it makes them difficult to get near.

Yaffar
20-10-2006, 14:28
For my VampireArmy:

Rod of Flaming Death 50 P ...never say never...

"those w3 S4 hits and a panic test if i lose a wound.... that woud never happen to my big unit of Ironbreakers near the table edge... never.... ähhm.... ooops"

->Nightgoblins on the flank.... gone in the first round...MW5 ... ha !

and the Book of Arkhan ... Game Winner for 25 Points!

Empire: Van Horstmans Spekulum
Orcs and Goblins: Iron Gnashas on my GoblinWaaaghBoss
Darkelves: Lifetaker ... Horror for Waywatchers

Corai
21-10-2006, 18:21
Sword of change. Hands Down. Since 5th edition there's nothing quite as much fun as turning your opponents prize character into a chaos spawn, then making him attack his own unit. It used to be most fun to do it to Steamtanks, but I believe 6th ed (quite rightly) nerfed that.

and I'm not sure if it counts, but Chaos Armour. All the way. On everything that can take it.

Iron Clad MacFearson
21-10-2006, 19:56
My favorites, Banner of Murder (+D6" on the charge) for DE, and Bands of Power for Skaven. Both make it in to most of my lists if I have the points, but I generaly sacrifice items for troops.

Morentez
31-10-2006, 09:23
The chaos runesheild has to be my favorite... just because noone i play makes a character without an expensive (50+pts) magic weapon! (lol i annoy my Dark elf playing freind when he realises malekit can do anythign to my items!) :D

Slaaneshi Slave
31-10-2006, 12:19
The banner which gives my unit Sophoric Musk... I forgot what its called... >.<

Morentez
31-10-2006, 12:20
The banner which gives my unit Sophoric Musk... I forgot what its called... >.<

rapturous standard

Arhalien
31-10-2006, 17:50
For me it's got to be Armour of the Gods. When they gave it to us it finally gave purpose to all the Magic Swords which relied on basic strength. Then they took it away again :( Oh well...

cheers,

enyoss
:confused:
When did they take it away? To the best of my knowledge it is still a viable magic armour choice for an Elf army. Nobody's complained at my store so far, and I;ve posted my lord combo of swordmaster, armkour of the gods and guardian phoenix on the GW forums without anyone saying it couldn;t be used any more.

MarcoPollo
31-10-2006, 18:51
The Bindings of slaanesh and the d3 wounding sword (I forget the name). Let your opponent run into your lone character with a huge unit of 3 ranks. Pick a fight with his puny champion and score 6 for you combat resolution. Break him by one point. Ah! So special!

Also the staff of darkoth allows you to plan your magic around moving units which can really help maximize the abilities of beastmen well.

Also, the banner of Huanichi. you get the extra movement that he can not flee from. Even if this means getting off a frontal charge, you can still hit a cavalry unit and break it from the outnumber, fear. Then you are behind enemy lines with saurus block coming up the front.

intellectawe
31-10-2006, 19:24
ok ill be the honest one then... dispel scroll...

Then I will also be another honest poster.

Dispell scrolls.

Entreri Bloodletter
31-10-2006, 20:19
Goblin Big Boss with Brimstone Bauble.

Priceless suicide bomber with endless uses.

"oh you killed my boss, now take D6 S6 hits..hehe"

Fredrik
31-10-2006, 21:05
Blood drinker - Vampire counts
This weapon is the best purley becasue it is written wrong, I regenerates one wound to it wearer for every model killed in in close caombat. But they ignored the part by the wielder. In short the bearer off the sword regenretes a wound as soon as a model (including him, he is a model) dies in CC, thus he can never be killed in CC because then he regenerates a wound. hehe freaky right.

Staurikosaurus
01-11-2006, 04:43
Enchanted Shield. I never deploy without it.

In additon for:
Lizardmen: Aura of Quetzl
Vampire Counts: Book of Arkhan

Voltaire
01-11-2006, 10:01
Chaos Runesword - the concept of it is something that I love. I never let my Chaos Lord leave home without it.

Revlid
01-11-2006, 10:18
Skullmantle, oh how I love thee, as my Butcher gobbles down tasty grey matter to cause Panic Tests at -1Ld.
Manticores, Warmachines crews, General's units, and Crossbows, Repeater or otherwise. None are immune. :p

Slaangor
01-11-2006, 14:21
as a beastman player = Staff of Darkoth
as a HoC player = Book of secrets
and as a slaanesh lover :D = Rapturous Standard
in general Cloak of Mist and Shadows (which i hate to see)

JJpenguin
01-11-2006, 20:02
Blood drinker - Vampire counts
This weapon is the best purley becasue it is written wrong, I regenerates one wound to it wearer for every model killed in in close caombat. But they ignored the part by the wielder. In short the bearer off the sword regenretes a wound as soon as a model (including him, he is a model) dies in CC, thus he can never be killed in CC because then he regenerates a wound. hehe freaky right.

:eyebrows: meh! be like that :o TBH it seems a cool thing anywhoo!

jjpenguin

Panzer MkIV
01-11-2006, 21:43
Rune of stone

Can be taken by any non-slayer character and is a complete bargain at 5pts in order to get +1 armour save AND it's not affected by the Rule of Pride

Drakensoul
02-11-2006, 02:41
i really love the sword of change, go into a charge, finish and win combat with 4 extra multi wound guys lol

Gimp
05-11-2006, 11:42
von Carstien Ring 4+ ward save and regeneration not to mention you are toughness 5 with 4 wounds

RoXxOrS
05-11-2006, 11:45
yep its gotta be the speculem
the look on your opponents face is priceless

warboss48
05-11-2006, 12:41
Armour of damnation & the bane shield.

stonefox
07-11-2006, 05:07
Dispel Scroll. x4.

Bloodknight
07-11-2006, 05:35
Destroyer of eternities; an almost granted +3CR and a killing blowed hero about every 3rd CC phase is just mean.

thalamus
07-11-2006, 06:43
I go on with the Hail of Doom Arrows. Definitly one of the best items in the game. First round to ged rid of daemonettes on steeds, DE- & HE- Boltthrower or a nasty mage or whatever.

Darmon
07-11-2006, 17:03
Lifetaker on my High Sorceress, 2 shots that always hit on 2+ and re-roll to wound? what's not to love?
She's my etheral/deamon/tree-spirit killer :evilgrin:

After that it's the hydra blade: "I attack you unit, that'll be 4+d3 attacks, no that's not the unit, only the character." :D

Omegakai
07-11-2006, 22:27
ok i havent read all of them. but HEART OF WOE 5th ed. KABOOM