PDA

View Full Version : New Wood Elf pics (Orion, Treeman and a character)

Jonathan =I=
29-06-2005, 06:13
Im not sure if these have been posted yet but here they are.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/woodelves/catalog/images/WE_eternalgdcmd1.jpg
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/woodelves/catalog/images/WE_treeman.jpg

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/woodelves/catalog/images/WE_orion.jpg

Kul
29-06-2005, 06:29
they are from the minitures range on the GW site..

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/woodelves/catalog/default.htm

glimli
29-06-2005, 07:02
the new orion looks pretty good, its not too different dfomr the old one but that was a cool model to begin with.

i wonder what his bow will let alone the spear!

Galonthar
29-06-2005, 08:06
they are from the minitures range on the GW site..

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/woodelves/catalog/default.htm

OMFG :eek: OMFG :eek: OMFG :eek: OMFG

AT LAST,... ALL THE PICS ARE THERE!!!...

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Zeb
29-06-2005, 08:22
The treeman and dogs look really really weird, I could probably get used to the treeman, but those dogs, nope! Thank God I never use special characters.

Damn, it looks as if I have to convert my riding mages...

Sylass
29-06-2005, 08:35
With a bit of Green stuff to cover the open wounds and mutations, the Chaos Hounds would make a quite nice replacement for the Orion dogs. They'd look much wilder then.

And I agree about the Treeman. I think I don't like it at all. Sure, the old ones looked a bit like they escaped from a comic, but this one? I think I'd prefer using the LOTR Treebeard miniature...

Kordos
29-06-2005, 08:57
And I agree about the Treeman. I think I don't like it at all. Sure, the old ones looked a bit like they escaped from a comic, but this one? I think I'd prefer using the LOTR Treebeard miniature...

I think GW aced the treeman look with treebeard then had to do something significantly different for the WE treeman

boogle
29-06-2005, 08:57
Orion - Really Nice, looking good with his hounds back
Twilight Sisters - have always loved that dragon, don't like them though
Drycha - she really brings out the essence of the spirits
Characters - the Mounted Lord is the weakest of them, and the male spellsinger isn't that great
Glade Guard - the do look nice actually
Glade Riders - love the Artwork, don't like the horses
Dryads - much nicer than the previous ones
Eternal Guard - they are really nice, love the command models
Wardancers - the BEST looking unit in the Army, i do expect these to figure in lots og GD entries
Wild Riders - they look too chaotic
Warhawk Riders - too Tony Hawk rather than Warhawk
Treekin - very nice
Treeman - I really really don't like this model at all, its horrible
Waywatchers - very nicely posed i like em

over all some nice stuff, but not enough to make me want them badly, the cavalry let them down (but then again they are woodland based folk)

Sylass
29-06-2005, 09:57
Something I just noticed...is that a quiver full of arrows on Orion's left hip?

Is he shooting with something similar to the OK Hunter's crossbow or the Stegadon's Giant Bow now? Or just a regular bow? Although that sounds odd..looking at the size of the arrows alone!

Obviously the Spear of Kurnous and the Horn of the Wild Hunt seem to be back too...wasn't the mantle a magical one as well?

NetGuru
29-06-2005, 09:58
How come the noble on foot (http://public.fotki.com/VPLaime/wood_elves_picture/noble.html) isn't on the site?

I hope it doesn't go the same way as the Skaven Warlords that were featured in the Lustria book.....

Brandir
29-06-2005, 11:06
Orion - Really Nice, looking good with his hounds back
Twilight Sisters - have always loved that dragon, don't like them though
Drycha - she really brings out the essence of the spirits
Characters - the Mounted Lord is the weakest of them, and the male spellsinger isn't that great
Glade Guard - the do look nice actually
Glade Riders - love the Artwork, don't like the horses
Dryads - much nicer than the previous ones
Eternal Guard - they are really nice, love the command models
Wardancers - the BEST looking unit in the Army, i do expect these to figure in lots og GD entries
Wild Riders - they look too chaotic
Warhawk Riders - too Tony Hawk rather than Warhawk
Treekin - very nice
Treeman - I really really don't like this model at all, its horrible
Waywatchers - very nicely posed i like em

over all some nice stuff, but not enough to make me want them badly, the cavalry let them down (but then again they are woodland based folk)

Boogle, I completely agree with your summary.

We must be related.

Jedi152
29-06-2005, 11:30
Interesting to see that wardancers are listed as being sold in boxes of ten, and not 3 per blister as stated in the release schedule on the UK flyer...

Keravin
29-06-2005, 11:36
I do like the character.

Glad I have some old Treemen.

Orion looks as cretinuous as ever and those looked like Sheep with him initially to me.

thalamus
29-06-2005, 11:51
What about the monstreous mounts?
I miss an mounted spellsinger/weaver and I also miss an unicorn and especially the great stag.

Does anybody know, what's up with these things??

Dr Death
29-06-2005, 12:26
At last the range is revealed! There are alot of interesting models in there for sure but heres my breakdown-

Orion- Nice model but doesnt have the same grace of posture as the one done by Matt Parkes a few years back

Sisters of Twighlight- I have always been a fan of the dragon, still am but if i was to buy this i would prefer to have it without those idiot wannabe gnoblars crawling all over it. The sisters themselves im none to keen on either.

Drycha branchwraith- Nice model, this could look like a work of art with a slightly more ambitious paintjob.

Lord with Great weapon- Love this model, really does have a sense of the wind in the leaves about it, very graceful.

Waywatcher lord- I never really got the point of these kinds of unit heroes. The model itself doesnt look too woodelfy, the bare chest with the hood seem to counteract the point of one another too so im no big fan.

Mounted lord- not a good model, detailed, but not a good model.

Spellweavers/singers- Nice models, even the male one i think looks pretty cool. Nice to see more of he "casting" mage miniatures.

Wardancer lord- Not all too great a model, not bad just not great. Again why have unit lords?

Glade Guard- I really like these models, very befitting the classic guardians of Athel Loren would have liked to see some armed with spears but that might have detracted from what is the classic armnament of them.

Glade riders- I really like the horses of these models with just a little exception- the shaped leather, against such graceful creatures the leather just looks wrong. Lovely unit though.

Dryads- If ever there was a more welcome image change than the new incarnation of the dryads i have not seen it. These models are truly stunning, i would have prefered more agile poses but that does not detract from the beauty these models have.

Eternal Guard- Something about these models i really dont like, it might be the paintjob but the headresses dont look like they belong in the wood elf army, they're a bit too sci fi for my tastes.

Wardancers- These are lovely models arnt they? They look agile and yet muscular like a gymnast and dont suffer from "too slight for that sword" syndrome. The mail order only models only increase the coolness of this unit.

Wild riders of Kurnous- I dont like these models, they seem altogether too slight to be out there baring their chest and the furs just make them look like wannabe chaos marauders.

Warhawk riders- The hawks are lovely, fantastically dynamic. They really do put the previous warhawks to shame. The riders do however look wrong, lacking in the fey grace of many of the other woodelf models, theres more than a wiff of the green goblin from spiderman about them too which is highly unwelcome.

Treekin- I cant make head nor tail of these models, after ogre kingdoms and the abysmal new ratogres ive rather lost my love for 40mm based regiments so im none too fond.

Treeman- Impossible to judge from this angle alone, it doesnt look promising but it does look like a model that would be better in the flesh.

Waywatchers- Not as good as the old models i have to say, mainly due to rather cramped poses. The look of them is pretty good but you really cant tell what on earth they're doing from the poses.

Dr Death

erion
29-06-2005, 13:18
I've never been a fan of GW's dragons. If I do decide to get the Twilight sisters I'll be converting them to ride Reaper's viridius.

http://www.reapermini.com/albums/specialedition/Viridius_af.jpg

Sure, he's $80, but he's huge and beautiful.

Other than that, I am counting down the days until the army box releases in the US (22). This is the first time I've been excited about a new army release since 6th ed started.

glimli
29-06-2005, 13:38
yeah some of the range has clealry been inspired by the scale mail 4 th ed elves. very evident on the twilight sisters. i dont like the wild riders they hark back to the bad old days of overly static repetitive poses.

Sylass
29-06-2005, 13:43
I'm not keen on the Wild Riders too. You summed up the reason: very static look.

Maybe Wild Riders could be converted using the Glade Riders box contents & bare Chaos Marauder torsos? Not sure about the sizes, but probably worth a try...

*edit*
typo

Galonthar
29-06-2005, 14:13
I have to see how those spear wielding arms of theirs are fitted to the rest of the model,... I might cut them of, and place them in a more "charging" angle, and like Sylass said; using GL bitz to add some details (I hope the GL have some spare capes,.. I think that would make a good addon)

and d*mn Erion.... now that`s the way GW should make all of their dragons!!!, looove that model (allthough IMO I would have painted it a bit darker)

Crube
29-06-2005, 14:20
Boogle - I too agree with most of your summary. Couple fo exceptions though....

1. I actually like the new Treeman. it's sufficiently different to anything else

2. Again, the Warhawks I don't find too bad. The hawks i like, and the riders aren't too bad. My only issue is the surfing aspect of it, but even that i can cope with

3. Horses are better than the old ones, but if you look at a picture of the unit from a certain angle it looks like one's riding with something stuck up his bum....

Erion - Now THAT's a dragon :D Myself and Mrs Crube are particularly fond of Dragons. That may have to find its way into the Crube household in the not too distant future.

erion
29-06-2005, 17:11
I should clarify that's NOT my paintjob. I do have one or two of reaper's big box dragons, but I've been waiting for an excuse to get that one. Woodies may have provided that excuse

The plastic One-size fits all dragon parts that GW has gone to just don't do anything for me, and I'm a big fan of reaper's stuff anyway.

Lady's Champion
29-06-2005, 17:12
yes, it's a new SPELLSINGER!!!!!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=523

Brandir
29-06-2005, 17:27
Crikey.

Yet another Wood Elf mini.

This new incarnation of the Wood Elves is going to be expensive!

erion
29-06-2005, 17:29
This line is certainly going to put a strain on my gaming budget for a few months.

Zeb
29-06-2005, 17:49
That looks very much like a renegade male Dark Elf sorceror... Didn't like it from this angle, might be better in a close up or live. But it might work in my Druchii army... ;)

boogle
29-06-2005, 18:07
Interesting to see that wardancers are listed as being sold in boxes of ten, and not 3 per blister as stated in the release schedule on the UK flyer...
the 10 model boxes are US only i'm afraid

Crube - its BECAUSE of the riders i don't like the warhawks, i wold have preferred them to be riderless rather than have surfers on them

Lord Setra
29-06-2005, 18:10
Wow very nice, just wondering if that top picture is a wood elf highborn with the eternal guard kindred?

Falkman
29-06-2005, 20:25
Wow very nice, just wondering if that top picture is a wood elf highborn with the eternal guard kindred?
Nah, itīs one of the two Eternal Guard champion models.

Xxcha
29-06-2005, 21:09
Why two different champions, the only other range that i can remember having multiple champions for the same units were the dark elves.

Brandir
29-06-2005, 21:17
Aren't some of the Eternal Guard (and Wardancers) Mail Order only minis?

Keravin
29-06-2005, 23:02
Aren't some of the Eternal Guard (and Wardancers) Mail Order only minis?

A few Wardancers and one Eternal Guard.

Half Eldar
02-07-2005, 00:35
I must say, for the Wild Riders I'm bloody well just planning to use Glade Riders with spears with two ends or something. Not only is it cheaper, it'll look less... bad. I don't like them much at all. Perhaps mail order the horse heads, but I'll probably be too cheap.

I like the EG, but if it's going to be a nice large core unit, I'm going to try and see if I can't do the same stunt with Glade Rider torsos as well as spears... who says they actually have to hold their staves with two hands all the time? Hopefully no ultra-fanatical GWite refuses to play me. Give them a nice paint scheme that's different, for both the EG and the WR, and they should be sufficiently distinct from the GG and GR.

Heck, if my cheapness reigns, even the Waywatchers and perhaps the Treekin are asking for a conversion; plus I don't much like the waywatchers for some reason.

Maybe a soul less lazy than I will do up conversions for these and I can just follow them.

therisnosaurus
02-07-2005, 00:56
lol, I was gonna do a forest spirit army that would cost me about 30 bucks: 3 bags of bases, 25mill, 40mill and 50mill. Go out to the back yard and collect a good deal of twigs and sticks.... :P

boogle
02-07-2005, 09:16
I must say, for the Wild Riders I'm bloody well just planning to use Glade Riders with spears with two ends or something. Not only is it cheaper, it'll look less... bad. I don't like them much at all. Perhaps mail order the horse heads, but I'll probably be too cheap.

I like the EG, but if it's going to be a nice large core unit, I'm going to try and see if I can't do the same stunt with Glade Rider torsos as well as spears... who says they actually have to hold their staves with two hands all the time? Hopefully no ultra-fanatical GWite refuses to play me. Give them a nice paint scheme that's different, for both the EG and the WR, and they should be sufficiently distinct from the GG and GR.

Heck, if my cheapness reigns, even the Waywatchers and perhaps the Treekin are asking for a conversion; plus I don't much like the waywatchers for some reason.

Maybe a soul less lazy than I will do up conversions for these and I can just follow them.

no-one should be bothered about the conversions, but remember, please show the finished pics of your units

Half Eldar
03-07-2005, 05:29
Well, if I do, I'll try and get pics. Wild Riders and Eternal Guard out of plastics are definately looking like an option though. I don't even like the Wild Rider models, and the Eternal Guard will be expensive and static otherwise.

I think, if I get the army box, the only other things I'll get aside from characters are some more Wardancers, perhaps some Warhawks and some Treekin if I can't convert some from Dryads. Oh, and just maybe a Treeman, but I think I'd prefer to do an all Elf army anyway, and this could just as easily then be found fighting in the mountains or some plains as in a forest. I need to go through the background in the book to see if there's any hope there's 'Wood' Elves elsewhere in the old world, and by Wood I mean Wild.

Arthion
03-07-2005, 12:08
According to other sources there is no mention of wood elves outside Athel Loren. So no luck there, but I dont mind. Launelorn and the wood elves near Praag are as good as official to me, there certainly are more around hunting for beastmen.

And pray tell how do you want to convert old dryads to treekin? If you mean old treemen - that I would understand.

Galonthar
03-07-2005, 14:21
Launelorn and the wood elves near Praag are as good as official to me,

ehm...
I`m not familiar with the old edition WE armybooks & a great deal of the fluff,....
where`s Launelorn????

Lord-Warlock
03-07-2005, 16:24
In the Empire, lies in Nordland IIRC.

Arthion
03-07-2005, 16:30
Its a forest to the north west of Middenheim. Fluff only from WFRP afaik, only few wood elves live there and hide their settlements with illusions.

Edit: Actually its outside the empire - on the border :).

tzeentchgiant
03-07-2005, 19:58
I really love the new orion, I can see a great complimentary daemon prince conversion, I think it would go great with the Be'lakor model, the whole structure is similar, and I think with suitable GS you could create very cool things....

Only problem is dough

TG

Half Eldar
04-07-2005, 05:36
And pray tell how do you want to convert old dryads to treekin?

Well, I'm not actually sure what size of the Treekin are, but I was thinking that I'd probably be able to get a bunch of old Dryads on the cheap, perhaps even bits from old Treemen. Basically take a whole bunch of woody looking parts together, along with spare bits from the new Dryad sprues, and put them together with some green stuff bark to cover up the stranger areas. Make them rather largeish.

As I said, it depends on just what the new Dryads and the Treekin look like sizewise and partwise. Or I might not bother with forest spirits.

thalamus
04-07-2005, 07:38
Well, Treekins and Dryads have different sizes if you mean that. Treekins are the ogre-sized forestspirits and and dryads just the "normal" forestspirit infantery.

You should go better witth lots of greenstuff. I don't see, that parts of Dryads seem very compatible with Treekins. But hey, you may have lots of phantasy :)

HiveTrygon
04-07-2005, 16:21
I love orion and the waywatcher lord. I think they are some of the best range around in warhammer right now. I know I said I'd never collect another warhammer army but these are going to be very tough to resist.

zulusan
04-07-2005, 21:56
check this out!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakka/Default.aspx?tabid=27&g=posts&t=8440

as you can see yourself, it is stolen from dakka.

enjoy

Lord Setra
04-07-2005, 22:00
Hmm that will be the army deal then.

They look very nice, love the new plastics they are so good.

Brandir
04-07-2005, 22:04
Looks like a staff member has scanned in his/her purchase!

boogle
04-07-2005, 22:13
well my local store has an army deals worth of stuff painted in their cabinet

Sagatarius
05-07-2005, 06:30
Well, i like the details and the butterfly or whatever it is.

Galonthar
05-07-2005, 06:39
hmm. nice :)

the dyads have a lot of bts you can add (d*mn you half eldar, that converting dryads to treekin might even work!! :wtf: ..)

Sagatarius
05-07-2005, 06:40
If you realy confert them to dryards, please lets see a picture.

Xxcha
05-07-2005, 19:08
I think Im going to take all the woody parts from the three boxes and put them on the bases of the dryads, as i think that it will strengthen the theme of them drawing all there power from the forests around them. It might even look good.

Half Eldar
08-07-2005, 07:46
Well, if I can I'll let you folks know how they go, if I do go through with it at all. I;ll almost certainly be getting a battalion, maybe even two, but I think I'll have to pass on the army deal as I just can't shell out $285 CDN for it at once, and this is at a deep discount from www.gc-minis.com(they're sold out) including tax and shipping and all.

At $295 from GW + 15%... not looking nice. I can get two Battalions for $182 plus tax and shipping from GC, might go with that. I don't even game at the local GW anyway.

malisteen
08-07-2005, 13:39
Only get one batallion, at least to start. You shouldn't need more then 24 archers, at least right away. One batallion, then get the rest of the characters and units you want seperately.

Kiro
08-07-2005, 23:23
Why does the Lord look very...chaotic? :wtf:
Man, those treemen are simply awful I'm not that overly critical of miniatures, but jeez, they really stink!

The boyz
09-07-2005, 12:26
I am not to keen on the new Treeman minature. I prefer to have a Treeman that looks like the Ents from the LOTR.

Nazguire
12-07-2005, 00:54
I am not to keen on the new Treeman minature. I prefer to have a Treeman that looks like the Ents from the LOTR.

Then buy 2 Treebeards and combine together. Then add as much WE gubbinz as you can find.

Why does the Lord look very...chaotic?
Man, those treemen are simply awful I'm not that overly critical of miniatures, but jeez, they really stink

Agreed, the new Treeman reeks of can't be bothered finishing it. It seems that Chaos is more insidious then we thought if it can invade the Athel Loren and retard the Treemen so.