PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Scorpion

Nagrael
09-10-2006, 16:33
Hey all.

The Tomb Scorpion has several attacks (don't think I'm allowed to post the number) he also has poisoned attacks with his tail and killing blow with his claws. No number is given to say which piece is what number of attacks though.

How should we divy it up? 2 poisoned attacks and 2 killing blow attacks?

DeathlessDraich
09-10-2006, 16:45
4 poisoned attacks. Any rolls of less than 6 then qualify for killing blow.
The rules do mention this.

Nagrael
09-10-2006, 19:09
Yeah but it's worded funny so it was kinda hard to say..

Von Wibble
09-10-2006, 19:35
I thought any 6s to hit could roll to wound to see if they got killing blow? If they fail to wound it still counts thanks to poison, if they get the killing blow then even better.

gukal
09-10-2006, 20:19
I thought any 6s to hit could roll to wound to see if they got killing blow? If they fail to wound it still counts thanks to poison, if they get the killing blow then even better.

Unfortunately this in not true. Cumulative effects as you describe would give full respect to both abilities.

Based on the rules, however, a successful poison attack eliminates the to-wound roll entirely for that attack. If you aren't empowered to make the to-wound roll, the killing blow effect cannot be triggered.

Therefore, with some irony, a poisonous killing blow attack is less effective than a regular killing blow attack against heavily armored foes. This is a good subject for a house rule IMO.

- Gukal

EvC
09-10-2006, 20:47
What? Don't be crazah, Tomb Scorpions are powerful enough already without the extra chance to do yet more damage.

Tutore
10-10-2006, 04:52
The scorpion is enormously powerful, poisonous attacks with a very good strength is far enough.

lord_blackfang
10-10-2006, 09:21
Poison comes from the tail tip. Killing blow comes from the pincers (the chance to clip someone's head clean off).

If you roll a 6 to hit, the attack was obviously made with the tail, so why should it get killing blow?