PDA

View Full Version : Advertising in 40K

Iuris
29-06-2005, 08:32
OK, I just read today's TurnSignalsOnALandRaider and it got me thinking: How would advertising look in 40K? Probably the ecclesiarchy and administratum demand that X% of every pannel be dedicated to Imperial cult propaganda...
Things like:
"Lucky Strike - supporting the troops since M02"

I really doubt those below would survive for long...
Vid of people worshipping chaos in the living room. Inquisitors bash the door in, and are greeted by a smiling inhabitant. "Let me guess, sale at Ikea?"
An Adeptus Mechanicus digging himself from under a heap of G-strings: "Axe effect"
A dead Hive Tyrant with an insecticide can next to it.

malika
29-06-2005, 09:31
Well...depends how companies work in the Imperium, I dont think in the "comical" way you described it, the people are kept naive about the truth. Local companies would have some sort of advertisement, probably something similar as in mid eaval Europe or early industrial England.

Chuffy
29-06-2005, 09:41
I like the idea of propaganda more:

"After a long campaign the alien menace of the Tyranids has been utterly eradicated from the universe. Hive fleet Behemoth as it was named has been utterly crushed in the Ultramar system by the brave men of the Imperial Guard and Adeptus Astartes. Tyranid casualties estimated to be in the millions with minimal casualties for our illustrious fighting forces. That'll show those bugs who's in charge!"

"They're doing their part! Are you?

Enlist today citizen!"

I think within the Imperium everything is too controlled by the Administratum and Eccelsiarchy to be too comical or non-serious. How do companies work anyway? Are they left to their own devices and monitored? Or is everything controlled directly by the Imperium?

Ikkaan
29-06-2005, 09:50
I have some spontaneous ideas:

- As laser weapons are common as muck and many worlds have loose weapon laws, advertising for arms or the idea of being armed would be more common. ("Be prepared for traitors. Be armed.")

- Spying on your fellow citizens ("The Emperor protects. But he appreciates your help. Try your best to keep your surroundings free of traitors."),

- IG-Propaganda (can you say starship troopers commercials ? "And they keep fighting and fighting and fighting...join the guard today !")

- Thoughts for the Day from the Ecclesiarchy (well-formed for the unexpecting masses, like "Hard work is the basis of freedom").

marineowar
29-06-2005, 09:50
I think that adertising would depend on the world and its govenor. Some would allow corporations pretty much free reign while others would control every little thing. Just like our world today really.

But I'm still waiting to see a guard army with big banners "Coke adds Life" "There's no other store like..." "Advertise Here! Call 18000guard" etc, etc

malika
29-06-2005, 10:02
I think that most people in the Imperium are kept naive about evil things such as Chaos and Xenos. So propaganda like "our Ultramarines defeated the Tyranids, want to join up?" kind of propaganda isnt really there.

However if a world IS invaded by lets say Orks or other stuff there would be propaganda (look at the Armageddon stuff for that)

Barbarossa
29-06-2005, 10:35
"Got promethium?"

Iuris
29-06-2005, 14:18
Er, propaganda is a given. Remember the IG primer, the Tyranid posters and such. I only referenced it as a possibility in the context of "OK, yes, you can advertise your cola, but you have to leave 50% of the AD space to us and we get to okay everything".

Oh, the slogans could be great. Could someone make a gothick version of Coca Cola? Oh, and I just got an idea...

x-esiv-4c
29-06-2005, 15:06
I would imagine that there would be commercial advertising for goods, perhaps more pious planets use a greater amount of propoganda.

malika
29-06-2005, 15:14
Er, propaganda is a given. Remember the IG primer, the Tyranid posters and such. I only referenced it as a possibility in the context of "OK, yes, you can advertise your cola, but you have to leave 50% of the AD space to us and we get to okay everything".

Oh, the slogans could be great. Could someone make a gothick version of Coca Cola? Oh, and I just got an idea...

I doubt there would be a company as powerful as the Coca Cola company.

If you are interested in companies etc in the 40k universe, you should check the Anargo Sector Project, check here (http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/index.php)

Specific threads there:
The position and role of corporations within the Imperium (http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130)
Inter-subsector trade (http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78)

venusianfurs
29-06-2005, 15:20
Oh, the slogans could be great. Could someone make a gothick version of Coca Cola? Oh, and I just got an idea...As an Alpha Legion or Genestealer conpiracy, it could read backwards "there is no Emperor, there is no Terra".

Iuris
29-06-2005, 15:22
Um, embarassing. I just spent 15 minutes creating Confessor McDonald, but I can't upload the jpg...

Says something about:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 635 is not allowed to access /srv/www/htdocs/warseer/html/forums/attachments owned by uid 644 in /includes/functions_file.php on line 274

Warning: filesize(): SAFE MODE Restriction in effect. The script whose uid is 635 is not allowed to access /srv/www/htdocs/warseer/html/forums/attachments owned by uid 644 in /includes/functions_file.php on line 286

What gives?

venusianfurs
29-06-2005, 15:26
I told you, conpsiracy. Get out of the house now!

charlie_c67
29-06-2005, 15:29
Host it on photobucket and post the image link.

Khaine's Messenger
29-06-2005, 20:30
It would depend on the world, but you have to think that on the more totalitarian worlds, advertising in the modern sense would simply be unnecessary. It's like Jeeps in WWII...no one cared who made them, because almost everyone had a contract to build 'em (of course it doesn't stop collectors from trying to parse out the manufacturer info, but as far as everyone else is concerned, beggars can't be choosers). The arms market is probably like this in the Imperium...while various "types" and "makes" would be of interest to the collector or discerning buyer, there's no need to advertise because there's just the product, and everyone knows about it, with manufacturers being largely unimportant and equipment being referred to mostly by the origin (of the design) and the "mark number." Any advertisement is done by word of mouth or is represented in the form of "market share = turf."

On worlds or in markets where quality control is an issue, local manufacturers (and dealers) are in open competition, or where the niche is supplied mostly by small local establishments, it's possible that advertisement would be more important and could theoretically approach or surpass modern advertisement inundation, though....

Easy E
29-06-2005, 22:06
Corporations exist. They advertise on their own planet. Since there is a corporation we will assume it is civilized or better. There are cultural themes that would be used just like today. The propoganda would be done seperately by the government. The government probably regulates advertising and informtaion similar to today.

The question I have is, does a system (or galaxy) wide corporation exist? Is it possible given the necessities of Warp travel, Cultural differences, planet types, and instability? Does it advertise?

susu.exp
29-06-2005, 22:12
Icaan wrote:

"- As laser weapons are common as muck and many worlds have loose weapon laws, advertising for arms or the idea of being armed would be more common. ("Be prepared for traitors. Be armed.")"

Join the ILA - Imperial Lasgun Association.

I´d expect ads for household servitors in upper-crust quaters. And I guess different forge worlds have "knight expos" on knight worlds (the Castellan 7 comes with an extended range battlecannon and a coffee mug holder.)

There´s also the famous ad campaign run by a rough trader guild who imported a lot from water caste contacts. Their tag line was "Shop at Xe-Mart for the greater goods".

Iuris
01-07-2005, 09:13
Right, let's see if this will work:

Confessor Ronnaldinus McDonaldinus, mascot of the McInquisitor Fast food chain:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b304/Iuris/McInquisitor.bmp

Navigator House Bellisarius slogan:
"Where do you want to go today?"

The Black templar chapter raised enough funds to construct an additional Fortress monastery by allowing the slogan: "Breakfast of champions!" to be presented with Emperor's champion Quirinalis' image in the background.

AdeptusMechanicus is still trying to decypher the origins of the occasional message "It's so easy to use, no wonder it's number one!" in the comm network mail.

Minister
01-07-2005, 10:46
Allied Imperial: Driving the engine of Humanity.

Downhive All's Eatery and General Store: Eats, Booze, Stuff.

And remember, citizens:

BE PURE! BE VIGILANT! BEHAVE!

Sai-Lauren
01-07-2005, 11:25
I doubt there would be a company as powerful as the Coca Cola company.

Of course there are, and there's almost certainly corporations more powerful than that.

The question I have is, does a system (or galaxy) wide corporation exist? Is it possible given the necessities of Warp travel, Cultural differences, planet types, and instability? Does it advertise?
I would say that there probably is at least one such corporation, but it would have to have survived from humanities first expansion into the stars - having ancient charters, leases and so on that even pre-date the emperors rise to power. It's probably been rebranded many times, changed it's core products even more often and moved it's head office for tax reasons on average once a century, but it's probably still out there.
As to who they are and what they produce, who knows? My best guess is some bank or other financial institution.

malika
01-07-2005, 12:20
Of course there are, and there's almost certainly corporations more powerful than that.
You think there are companies in the Imperium with politican influences, similar to the influence United Fruit had on the US' Latin American policy?

Sai-Lauren
01-07-2005, 14:04
You think there are companies in the Imperium with politican influences, similar to the influence United Fruit had on the US' Latin American policy?
Absolutely. Even the high lords of terra would want more power, money, prestige and all the other benefits they bring.

LimeLord
01-07-2005, 19:08
Exactly, every high nobel and planetary tychoon would want a piece, Plus i could easily see guard recruitment posters. "see the Galaxy, join the Imperial Guard today" or on somewhere like Baal or Promesthus i could see big posters and stuff for trying out for the Resident Chapter. Kinda like "Do you want to be a legend? Want to show your martial prowness? Sign up for the Initiation tournament today!"

malika
01-07-2005, 19:23
I doubt the Space Marines would need to make commercials for their Chapters. They just check out the local population and pick the strongest of them.

Iuris
04-07-2005, 08:09
Humm, who knows.

Imagine a Tzeentch infiltrator ovecoming himself and actually telling the truth:

"OK, boys, here's the deal. You get to take 19 surgical operations, no anaesthetics. You have about 10% chance of surviving them. One of the enhancements allows you to eat wood. It follows that it was put there for a reason. Also you get to be 7 feet tall, with average doorways being 6 feet high.

If you survive, you get a suit of armour you cannot scratch your back in and a fifteen minute break every day.

In exchange you have to protect ungraterful civilians, who are having all the fun you are not allowed to have. This is usually done by charging genestealers and "distracting" greater demons by bleeding all over their axes while the power fist wielding sergeant gets into position to smack 'em onna noggin.

As a relaxant, you only get to pray for several hours every day, since you can't even get drunk on alcohol due to your new mega liver. And that is IF you have a nice chapter master.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, befor getting the big suit of armour, you have to be a scout. They get way thinner armour. You still cannot scratch your back in it, though.

Oh, and no nookie. Ever."

Imagine the face of a wolf priest arriving at the big fire they spotted from orbit and finding out that it's not a battle site but a hippie get together...

When Black Roses Bloom
04-07-2005, 08:24
I've seen some propaganda posters form the Imperial Guard codex that were saying "Consolidating with the alien is considered heresy!!" and had an Imperial Guard trooper pointing at something. I think that the ads tend to be more like the WWII Soviet propaganda posters with people working happy in factories producing armors and weapons for the troops in the front. But then again imagine happy servitors of the Mars Forgeworld in the posters with the lobotomised drooling smile in the poster. That would be something :skull:

Sai-Lauren
04-07-2005, 09:29
I doubt the Space Marines would need to make commercials for their Chapters. They just check out the local population and pick the strongest of them.
Yes, all marine chapters choose their recruits, and don't get volunteers.

Gorbad Ironclaw
04-07-2005, 09:48
Sort of. The Blood Angels actually do host a tournament to pick prospecting initiates. Of course, there is the small matter of getting there in the first place, fighting mutants, surviving the radiation etc. And then there is the fighting at the end. But I do think that most, if not all, are picked from those tournaments.

EmperorsChamp01
04-07-2005, 10:13
"Dont be a heretic kids, Buy the Emperors brand Cigarettes or youll burn in the 7 depths of hell with all the other traitors"

Talkie Toaster
04-07-2005, 13:43
"Dont be a heretic kids, Buy the Emperors brand Cigarettes or youll burn in the 7 depths of hell with all the other traitors"
"Warning: Magos Biologis have determied that cigarettes may impede you in your duty to serve the Immortal Emperor of Mankind"

Iuris
04-07-2005, 14:05
That's the spirit, guys!

When Black Roses Bloom
05-07-2005, 06:04
On a poster where an Imperial Guard is been eaten by a Hormagaunt:

"Consolidating with the alien is considered herecy!!!"

liquiddream78
05-07-2005, 16:31
I really don't think they have to advertise to get people to join the guard on some planets. Some worlds train all their citizens in the art of war like on Hesperus. Other planets recruit IG armies’ b/c of the glory it brings.

I would have to imagine that there are galactic companies that influence political ideals just like governments here get influenced by lobbyist. That is probably why the communist run Imperium is so spread out fighting some useless war on some distant planet.