PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Lords in 2000 points?

Toddums
10-10-2006, 10:16
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I have recently built up a 2000 point chaos army (allthough not all of it is fully painted yet). I was hoping if some veterans could suggest to me if I should be using a chaos lord or not. Thanks,

Toddums

der_lex
10-10-2006, 10:41
We'll need more to go on if you want to get a decent answer. What kind of troops does your army consist of? Are you going to go undivided or will you attune yourself to a specific chaos god?

Jedi152
10-10-2006, 10:44
Over 2000 points it's typical to always use a lord level character. Their kill-ability or spell-ability cannot be ignored.

Toddums
10-10-2006, 10:51
Well as of right now my army consists of fast, hard hitting units.

Marauder Horsemen x2

Chariot (converted to be a "marauder" chariot, with an aspiring champ).

Chosen knights of nurgle

Exhaulted demon of nurgle

another unit of knights that I have not painted yet

Dragon ogres

Nurglings

I have no infantry and only a scroll cady for magic. I was building a nurgle themed force, but right now its more of a nurgle/undevided force. I haven't completely decided on which way I want to go with it.

Neknoh
10-10-2006, 10:53
However, in games o 2k, a Lord will cost faar too much to be worth his hefty investment unless you only give him something like a Hallberd and a Chaos Steed, in which case you'd have been better off with a decked out Exalted Champion instead.

But, in 2k, there is one Lord level character which I encourage, it is the Beastlord in a Beastherd. Make the herd a Battle Herd (i.e. 18+ models and Full Command) and mark the Beastlord, depending on what mark he gets, give him one of the following:

Mark of Slaanesh: Chaos Runesword or Daemonsword
Mark of Khorne: Daemonsword, no other options!
Mark of Tzeentch: the Goretooth or the Staff of Change
Mark of Nurgle: The Crown of Everlasting Conquest and either the Blade of Blood or the Slaughterers Blade.

Use this unit as a second or third tank, the first one being a unit of Knights (chosen or not) and an optionable second one being either a Shaggoth, some Dragon Ogres, some Trolls or some Warriors.

Neknoh
10-10-2006, 10:54
In a list like yours, I'd make the Exalted Daemon the general by giving him Master of Mortals, alternatively, I'd take an Exalted Champion, the Daemon and a Beastlord in order to put up as many mobile threats as possible.

Toddums
10-10-2006, 11:04
Thanks for the advice Neknoh, but a Beastlord doesnt really fit my theme. Its more of a Mortal list with Demons kinda thing.

Neknoh
10-10-2006, 11:09
Then go for a normal Exalted Champion, or alternatively, a level 2 Daemon and a level 4 Exalted Sorceror of Nurgle in a Chariot with the Berserker or Daemonsword, then go for an Exalted Champion to lead the army.

This would give you 6 levels of magic in the army, one which is on a highly mobile source and the other which is on a highly punchy source. Now, the Exalted would serve as a main line character and ride with your Knights.

Pravus
10-10-2006, 11:26
I use a chaos lord but then his leadership 9 is essential in my horde of marauders. It might be of value as well if you're using Nurgle or Tzeentch troops too simply because they are the weakest, psychologically of the four marks. The thing is with Chaos Lords is not to go overboard on the points, especially at 2000. Try to remember that he needs very little in terms of equipment - he's a hard ass straight out of the box. With the advent of 7th edition a steed of somekind is a big advantage - at 2000 points a chaos steed will suffice - both for the additional save and the out-of-unit mobility.

One thing I would say in particular is that in a meta-game sense don't get too attached to your Chaos Lord. I've seen loads of chaos players lose a game to save their lord because they lose sight of the big picture when their "main character is in danger. In the words of a wiser man than me:

"don't be soft; have a fight"

kyussinchains
10-10-2006, 18:54
I know many people tend to use 2 exalted champions instead of a single lord, if you mark them nurgle, you'll have 2 characters which are the equal of pretty much any lord level character you're going to come up against (vampires aside)

Shaitan
11-10-2006, 08:28
Exalted Sorceror of Nurgle in a Chariot with the Berserker or Daemonsword

Wow, an Exalted Chaos Sorcerer with a Daemonsword. Never thought of that but it would be a cool surprise to your opponent :)

Toddums
13-10-2006, 01:59
Well I ended up using the hellfire sword and I must say it was quite disgusting in how good it was...its kinda cheesy even. With only having One wound out of 5 attacks wound, I destroyed his Stegadon, Buffed out Scar Vet on a Carnasaur, and the Carnasaur itself. WITH ONE HIT WOUNDING! It basically won me the game. Along with my dragon ogres.

So...ya

Neknoh
13-10-2006, 05:00
Haha, yeah, if you hit and wound, you have a 5 in 6 chance of killing most Lord Level characters out there.

Toddums
13-10-2006, 05:43
I know its 75 points, but you have such a good chance of one-shotting just about everything in the game, so I don't see why this isn't a standard choice. It doesn't even seem to be a POPULAR choice based on these forums. I don't get it, its EXPENSIVE, but you can EASILY slaughter every character or monster in the game...Seems worth it to me

Shaitan
13-10-2006, 08:47
But if you're Lord with the Hellfire Sword is only coming up against rank and file troops you have prety much wasted the 75 points!

Jedi152
13-10-2006, 08:48
Eactly. It's a trade off whether you want a character/monster killer or a troops killer.