PDA

View Full Version : Necromunda to Urban War...

FlyingViking
10-10-2006, 15:14
I've been playing Necromunda for quite a while, and I've got Urban War but not managed to play it yet. I'm going to suggest to my weekly Necro. opponent tonight, that we give UW a try soon, using our Necromunda gangs.
Now, not sure whether we'll just try using a gang setup with the UW ruleset, or whether we'll just proxy the models for a Militia army in UW.

Has anyone else tried anything like that? Did it work?

Just from a quick run through of the UW armoury, I'm thinking of translating weapons thus:

Autopistol, Stubber, Laspistol => Auto Pistol
Autogun, Lasgun=> Auto Rifle
Shotgun => Riot Shotgun
Bolt Pistol => Gauss Pistol
Boltgun => Gauss Rifle
Heavy Bolter => Heavy Machine Gun
Heavy Stubber => Heavy Chain Gun
Grenade Launcher => Grenade Launcher
Flamer => Flame Thrower
Knife => Combat Blade
Chainsword => Coraline Blade
Powersword => Vibro Scythe

Do any of those seem out of whack? OK, I know the weapon mix is not going to fit the militia armylist, but we're not bothered about that, we just want to be able to use GW necro gangs in a consistent weapon proxy, without having to remember what represents what.

We have played VOID a couple of times, and found it had a nicer feel than 40K, the main one being alternate unit action, of course, but we did find that melee got a bit confused. However, it seems UW should be more manageable.
Who knows, if we like the alt-act thing, we might just incorporate that into Necro anyway. We're always up for new things (genestealers + zombies v cawdor was a good laugh, and we've talked about a trukk-borne gorkamorka ork gang taking on my mate's very shooty orlock gang sometime).

Sleazy
10-10-2006, 15:58
sounds about right, go for it, cant go wrong with the rules free to download.

would work well the other way too, wouldn't mind my Triads storming a hive using Necromunda rules.

Luke
10-10-2006, 16:20
Autopistol, Stubber, Laspistol - Auto Pistol / gauss rifle
Autogun - Auto Rifle
Shotgun - Riot Shotgun
Lasgun - Pulse rifle (though the lasgun really sucks in comparrison) I would go for a gauss rifle.
Bolt Pistol - no equivelant, pulse carbine maybe a Gauss Pistol
Boltgun - No equivelant. Pulse carbine maybe or HGR at a push
Heavy Bolter - Heavy Machine Gun or chain gun
Heavy Stubber - Heavy Machine Gun or chain gun
Grenade Launcher - Grenade Launcher
Flamer - Flame Thrower
Knife - Combat Blade
Chainsword - Coraline Blade
Powersword - Vibro Scythe
Heavy plasma gun / plasma gun - plasma projector

Thats a bit more like it I think. The way the wepoans work is totally different and nothing really compares.

Spacemunkie
10-10-2006, 17:11
My Viridians are diminutive Hasslefree Grymm... :D

FlyingViking
10-10-2006, 20:04
Luke, thanks for the thoughts.
What my original conversions were for, is balance.
Having looked at the Damage v Toughness stats, it looks like in UW, Dam4=S3, Dam5/6=S4 and Dam7=S5.
That's pretty much what I used as a basis for the rough conversions above.
I'll give it some more thought, and see what my mate says. (speaking of which, I should be heading over there right now...!)

Luke
10-10-2006, 21:20
I was working more towards how the weapons work but I se your thinking. Remember that Boltguns are nowhere near as powerful as they are supposed to be.