PDA

View Full Version : Rule of burning iron

Latro_
10-10-2006, 14:27
excuse my noobness i am still learning fantasy. just wonder this:
if this spell is cast on say a character in a unit of knights.

say a unit of empire knights with a grand master, Does the grand master get look out sir?

as far as i can see from the rules he does not, since the attack does not state its self as being any form of missile weapon.

Just thinking, on 1+ save characters this spell is rather evil for its casting value.

Also does this spell enable you to say snipe standards and musicians or does the rule about other models picking standards up etc come into play here?

NakedFisherman
10-10-2006, 14:43
No, he doesn't get 'Look Out, Sir!'

The spell is not allowed to target musicians or standards. In fact, nothing can.

WLBjork
10-10-2006, 14:44
Another oversight by GW?

Rules as written, the character can be picked out without a Look Our Sir! save as the spell does not have a template.

Unit Standards and Musicians cannot be targetted.

NakedFisherman
10-10-2006, 14:48
Why would it be an oversight? It's intended to work that way.

Templates have nothing to do with Look Out, Sir! anymore, anyway.

mageith
10-10-2006, 14:50
excuse my noobness i am still learning fantasy. just wonder this:
if this spell is cast on say a character in a unit of knights.

say a unit of empire knights with a grand master, Does the grand master get look out sir?

See page 74:
Is it a "ranged attack"?
"have unique targeting rules"?
"allow a player to deliberately aim his shot at a character inside of a unit"?

It fits the first sentence, but doesn't fit the examples.

"missile weapon"?
"war machine that works in a different way"?
"use a template"?

as far as i can see from the rules he does not, since the attack does not state its self as being any form of missile weapon.

I agree its not a missile weapon as defined on page 57.

Just thinking, on 1+ save characters this spell is rather evil for its casting value.

You still have to get it off two or three times.

Also does this spell enable you to say snipe standards and musicians or does the rule about other models picking standards up etc come into play here?
Sure but they aren't removed as you say.

Latro_
10-10-2006, 15:03
The first paragrap of the LOS rule is not actually as i read it the rule its self.

I read it as.
the first paragrap denotes that it is infact possible TO target a chracter. and give example of how. e.g. if people didnt already know its possible in some cases to target one.

It then goes onto imply that missiles etc... you get the look out sir.
To which aforementioned speel conforms to none of the criteria.

You dont have to get it off two or three times, losing a wound is losing a wound. for a 5+ spell it looks quite scary. However most chars should have wards so hmmm amybe its not that hard.

metro_gnome
10-10-2006, 15:04
i like it :)... especially vs. tomb kings...
can you snipe unit champs with it?

Tutore
10-10-2006, 15:36
They meant to create the spell as it is to rejuvenate the metal lore. It's a good spell. Anyway you MAY choose the target without look out sir.

Latro_
10-10-2006, 16:13
They meant to create the spell as it is to rejuvenate the metal lore. It's a good spell. Anyway you MAY choose the target without look out sir.

they certainly did that, the last spell is killer!

WLBjork
10-10-2006, 19:51
Why would it be an oversight? It's intended to work that way.

Templates have nothing to do with Look Out, Sir! anymore, anyway.

Point one, it does make a low-level spell quite powerful, and extremely attractive, hence the query. Of course, we're unlikely to know for definate either way.

Point two
It also applies to any other ranged attack that uses a template (like some spells and magic items)

GranFarfar
10-10-2006, 20:13
i like it :)... especially vs. tomb kings...
can you snipe unit champs with it?

VS. TK? Then the spell will be next to worthless, since TK has barely any armour save to talk about.

Oh, and I agree with the Fisherman. It is probably ment to be able to snipe characters. Consider it still has itīs limitations.

metro_gnome
10-10-2006, 21:38
TK characters are flamable... double damage...

vorac
10-10-2006, 21:58
Yeah and have very low armour and high toughness so the spell will be strength 3 or 4 so good luck with that one, the spell really becomes a great spell when facing chaos,dwarfs,brettonia and empire or any army with a lot of knights especially the last spell thats gotta hurt.

Tutore
11-10-2006, 06:44
I use it against dwarves. First kill the runesmiths, then other charachters :)

heliodorus04
11-10-2006, 14:27
I used Lore of Metal a lot in a recent tournament with a 2nd Generation Slann. The spell isn't THAT great. But I sure did take my chances on lesser heroes against dwarves and empire. You only need it twice to take out most Heroes, presuming 1) it goes off and 2) there's no ward save to deal with.

Problem is, if you're stuck in this Lore of Metal against a lot of armies that aren't uber-armor, it's a bad "default" spell.