PDA

View Full Version : Grimgor's Ard Boyz - how do they fare?

feintstar
29-06-2005, 10:27
Looking at the list and being new to fantasy, I am struck by the aparent strength of this list while also subtly being aware of its unexpected weaknesses.

Due to its total lack of screening units, this brutal, tough and well armoured army looks like it could be totally mashed with aparent ease. (slow, small, no defence, no skirmishers, no fliers, no warengine hunters, low magic, not undefeatable in combat either.) I could be wrong of course.

So how Is this army supposed to work? 100 Black Orcs? :evilgrin:
Where is the Boar cavalry supposed to fit in? How can you conduct limited strikes against enemy warengines? Indeed, is it at all possible to do so?

Speaking of which, in this list, it is possible to feild an Orc Army consisting almost entirely of Boarboyz. Now I have little idea of how effective such a list would be, but it certainly seems like fun... Particularly the animosity checks :p

I'm just wondering, firstly, how effective are boarboyz, point for point?
Also, just how much in the way of actual tactics could you include in such a list?

Darwin_green
29-06-2005, 12:54
well... for boar boys, you should just stock up on the Command Sprue. You get three orks, one nob and two boys with an extra pair of boar riding legs for about $5-$6. $3 extra for a boar seems like a deal.

Megilain
29-06-2005, 14:11
The orcs have never really benefitted from good warmachine hunters as they never had any scouts nor units of flyers and quite frankly, gobbo riders abilities as a warmachine hunters are mostly overrated. On the other hand, one of the most efficient rank&file fighting units gets better as the ordinary orcs get one of the toughest heroes in the game to lead them for one hero choice and at the same time get their main disadvantage, the animosity, almost eliminated.

It is true that they lose some of the nastiest tricks the O&G book has to offer, i. g. Fanatics, possibility to heavymagic and slight cost-effectiveness reduction of the shooty orcs, and their magic defence can be a major setback, but their infantry at least in my opinion reaches a new height.

I´ve never used more than one unit of boar boyz, but even their charges, if they get any, are mighty impressive, only shame is that black orcs on boars still take an extra hero slot...

Tormentor of Slaanesh
02-07-2005, 12:15
they are soooooooooo easy to outflank. One determined charge can win you the battle

Bortus
04-07-2005, 08:29
Let's not forget about the Biguns' option boys!!! Love the list!

Scactha
04-07-2005, 13:35
It´s made for checkerboard horde tactics. 16 Orcs with shields just pushes over a hundred points yet is a threat vs most stuff out there. The problem is everyone and their green grandmum plays the Fanatics + Waagh list ad nauseam so everything else is by default considered bad.

But if you´re new to the game I wouldn´t recommend it because it is slow and not the easiest to play list.