PDA

View Full Version : Are Goblin Chars in Chariots Special?

SlaaneshSlave
11-10-2006, 17:48
Kind of a dumb question, but I hoping for a "good" answer...

If I put my Goblin hero in a chariot, will it still take up a special slot?

There was a rumor that with the new book it would not take a special. But after reading the book I don't see an exemption for this. Am I just wishing to little too much...

Multifarious
11-10-2006, 18:23
In 6th ed it said something along the lines of "If you have a chariot bought from special you may mount him on it" 7th has nothing about that, just that you can buy one for him.

EvC
11-10-2006, 20:58
It doesn't say it, and you wouldn't assume it if you hadn't read other army books, thus it doesn't count as a special choice. Nice way to make up for the fact that two-for-one goblin chariots don't exist any more :o

SlaaneshSlave
11-10-2006, 21:30
Nice way to make up for the fact that two-for-one goblin chariots don't exist any more :o
That was the thought...

Gekiganger
11-10-2006, 23:13
Kind of a dumb question, but I hoping for a "good" answer...

If I put my Goblin hero in a chariot, will it still take up a special slot?

There was a rumor that with the new book it would not take a special. But after reading the book I don't see an exemption for this. Am I just wishing to little too much...

IIRC the rules previously made him take an extra special, now they don't. Simple and clear.

Multifarious
12-10-2006, 00:12
It is also kind of likely that a goblin would use a chariot as well. They get to look impressive.

Ganymede
12-10-2006, 01:41
The rules as to whether or not an orcish character in a chariot counts as a special choice are whollly ambiguous. The relevent passage could be read to mean either interpretation. My advice would be to forrm a consensus with your local gaming community until a FAQ is released.

Brother Maynard
28-10-2006, 20:20
Has anyone heard more on this? Because as it stands or is interpreted, the chariot can either be part of the character; his equipment and furnishings, or it can be a seperate unit on its own taking up a special slot. To me, this is a huge descrepancy that can be widly exploited. Think about it, you buy 2 cheap-o characters, mount them in chariots, you now have 2 decent killing units and still an open selection for your specials.

Gekiganger
28-10-2006, 20:24
Thundering Threadromancy Batman!

I think it's pretty clear that it's nolonger a special.

Didn't relise people even disputed it anylonger...

Gorbad Ironclaw
28-10-2006, 20:26
Has anyone heard more on this? Because as it stands or is interpreted, the chariot can either be part of the character; his equipment and furnishings, or it can be a seperate unit on its own taking up a special slot. To me, this is a huge descrepancy that can be widly exploited. Think about it, you buy 2 cheap-o characters, mount them in chariots, you now have 2 decent killing units and still an open selection for your specials.

That is kind of the point of it, yes. How is that wildly exploited? If it doesn't say he takes up a special slot(and it doesn't by all accounts), then he doesn't.

T10
28-10-2006, 23:01
Has anyone heard more on this?

Please bear in mind that the 7th edition rules have replaced the 6th edition rules and that the new Orcs & Goblins army list has replaced the old one.

From a beginning player's persective, it would be inconceivable that the chariot upgrade should cost a special choice.

-T10

Gekiganger
28-10-2006, 23:05
From a beginning player's persective, it would be inconceivable that the chariot upgrade should cost a special choice.

-T10

That's the most compelling fact I've heard on this thread. That one sentence prettymuch ends this all. No beginning player would think that it used a special with the current wording.

Ganymede
29-10-2006, 00:14
Big Jakob: No beginning player would ever believe that a goblin character's chariot would cost a special slot.

Lil Timmy: But wait a second Gary, I am a new player and it seems to me that the chariot should cost a special slot.

Big Jakob: OK then, allow me to rephrase... no "True" beginning player would ever believe that a goblin character's chariot would cost a special slot.

T10
29-10-2006, 10:16
It is in the similar vein that a player without knowledge of the old Orcs & Goblins book would not expect Black Orc characters to take an additional Hero slot.

-T10

Ganymede
29-10-2006, 17:20
True, but a beginning player might notice that chariots take up a special slot, and infer that the exact same chariot taken as a ride for a character would take up the exact same slot.

On the other hand, this may be GW's way of making chariot riding charactersw more appealing, as most people are lothe to waste both a character and a special slot on something that generally isn't as good as the sum of its parts.