PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars Anyone?

Frankly
29-06-2005, 15:07
Three simple questions;

Is anybody playing it?

Is it any good?

How does it rate(game wise)against World of Warcraft?

Cheers

Nautilus
29-06-2005, 19:43
I bought it when my WoW account kept crashing my machine. I've played a few evenings with it and its had great reviews but to be honest its not a patch on WoW. Nowhere near as slick. The movement is more cumbersome and restrictive, the interface is nowhere near as nice. I just found myself missing WoW everytime I played it. The towns are a mess of communication with apparantly peoles chat coming thick and fast with no real clues as to whos talking as it seems that the chat log picks up chat from a long way off. As soon as you leave town you are either with your group or on your own, there is no out-of-town encounters with other people. I was immediately hooked on WoW but I've been left pretty uninspired by Guild Wars.

No subscription though...

Frankly
01-07-2005, 02:39
Just one person playing the game ... not very popular.

Vanus
01-07-2005, 06:24
Hrm, what Nautilus said pretty much sums up my experience with it as well. Interacting with, and moving within, the environment is a bit cumbersome. Cities are quite the mess of communication, with there being no real distinguished chanel for anything except trading. I'd have to agree, the game left me uninspired.

f2k
01-07-2005, 19:59
There have been 2 threads about Guild Wars before. But none of them got very far – seems that people are just not very interested in that game…
A shame really, since, IMHO, this game is much better than WoW. But that’s just my personal opinion…

Frankly
02-07-2005, 13:22
Why do you like its better?

f2k
02-07-2005, 18:19
Hard to say. It’s just the ”feel” of the game that I like. I never really liked the “feel” of WoW.

The greatest difference is probably that you’re playing in your own little world. WoW felt very crowded in some places – with your own little world GW never feels crowded in the same way. You have a big world to explore, and you can do it in your own time without interference from other players. I like being able to walk around without being jumped by a PK’er.

I also like the world of GW better than WoW. The first time I got from pre- to post-searing I went: “Holy *bib*! What happened here?”. I never had that kind of experience with WoW.

But as I said – all of this is just my personal opinion…

On a technical side, I never managed to get WoW to run smoothly. That’s, IMO, is a constant problem with Bnet – lag, lag, lag… GW has, so far, not lacked at all. I’ve encountered a few synchronization problems – but those are few and far between. And nothing like the skip-lacking I encountered in WoW…

Frankly
03-07-2005, 07:16
Cheers f2k