PDA

View Full Version : Tzeentch Disc Riders

Unclejo
12-10-2006, 18:08
A tactics discussion in another thread has really put a dampener on my planned Tzeentch army...the fact that Disc riders seem to be very expensive and very fragile missile weapon magnets.

Now, dont get me wrong, I love the thought of my champions zipping around, causing no end of trouble to my opponent as they quickly redeploy along my line as needed. But with the new targetting rules meaning that characters can be picked out even when near units, the extra ranks missile troops get to shoot with when firing at large targets and the fact that Discs count as large targets for LOS, surely that fairly hefty points investment is going to go up in smoke when entire units of archers start opening up on them.

Am I worrying too much about these rule changes? What have been your experiences with Discs under 7th Edition? Are you equipping/utilising them differently than you did under 6th?

Oh, and in addition, one very simple question. Does the Disc Rider get +1 to his save for being mounted?

der_lex
12-10-2006, 18:31
You could always pick the disc out under 6th edition as well, since it counts as a large target from a LOS perspective.

It really isn't that much of a problem if you just equip the rider properly. The Golden Eye combined with the spell orange fire really makes it nigh impossible for shooting to hit you. My Skaven opponent has even stopped shooting at my lord on disc with his Ratling guns because he never gets a hit in, even if he dispels my orange fire.
A second rider might be a slight problem, since there are no other items that affect the disc as well (I'd still give the rider gaze of the Gods just to be sure, though). I think you should just give it a go, you might be surprised with the results.

TheWarSmith
12-10-2006, 18:35
I'm not a fan of discs at all personally. Taking the golden eye is pretty much mandatory for disc riders, meaning that only 1 disc rider is a good idea since you can't duplicate. I've just always found that they're better on horseback with a small unit of knights, chosen or not. This allows them to enter combat without coordination of other units and do a good job, because knights alone(non chosen specifically) often can't break ranked units alone, but the champion can.

der_lex
12-10-2006, 19:02
I actually agree is only one disc rider is the best way to go. A lord with the staff of change and the golden eye makes for an excellent mobile weapons platform.
Additional characters are best put in chariots (for that nice berserker sword combo) or in units.

Then again, I might have to add an additional disc rider sometime so i can use the limited edition one I just ordered off of GW germany... :D
(assuming I don't get an 'you can't order this outside of Germany' mail sometime soon...)

Gekiganger
12-10-2006, 19:11
1 disk rider should be anough anyhoo, other heroes can go in units etc.

My combination for avoiding getting shot to shat, Chalice Of Chaos + Golden Eye Of Tzeentch + Mandatory Spell Familiar.

True it's 80 points spent but I love the combo, gives me 20 points left for experimenting with (not much but hey)

Edit: Could always use the Chalice for a second disk rider if you choose to have 2.

Von Wibble
12-10-2006, 20:04
I regularly face chaos. I usually face disc riders.

I never bother shooting them. The golden Eye is too cheap for what it does not to take. I'd rather use the cannonball on a chariot or some knights. Or the giant. Or Dragon Ogres. etc

A 4+ save and 3+ ward is sufficient anyway. Why use extra points when the protection is already strong.

Main reason to use a disc imo. Cheap way to see over units, thus allowing lots of magic missiles to be cast without the risk of being charged.

Von Wibble
12-10-2006, 20:05
Just thought - Enchanted Shield is good protection for a second rider. T4 and 2+ save is sufficient.

Neknoh
12-10-2006, 20:43
1 disk rider should be anough anyhoo, other heroes can go in units etc.

My combination for avoiding getting shot to shat, Chalice Of Chaos + Golden Eye Of Tzeentch + Mandatory Spell Familiar.

True it's 80 points spent but I love the combo, gives me 20 points left for experimenting with (not much but hey)

Edit: Could always use the Chalice for a second disk rider if you choose to have 2.

What would you want the Challice for? The only use I can see for it would be for him not to break from Skirmishers.

Unclejo
12-10-2006, 21:04
Just thought - Enchanted Shield is good protection for a second rider. T4 and 2+ save is sufficient.

Thats what Im going for in my first 1k starter list, hence my question: does the disc give +1 save? If so, I can get a 2+ save without enchanted shield and can thus spend those whopping amount of points elsewhere!

Neknoh
12-10-2006, 21:08
The disc does NOT grant +1 to his save and can therefore NOT gain a 2+ save without the Enchanted Shield, although, at 1k with only one Disc Rider, a Hallberd, a Spell Familliar and the Golden Eye should be enough for him to whoop some serious Skirmisher and Fast Cavalry ass whilst blasting away with magic missiles like noones ever seen before

Unclejo
12-10-2006, 21:31
The disc does NOT grant +1 to his save and can therefore NOT gain a 2+ save without the Enchanted Shield

Dang! Ah well, guess I'll have to stay with the shield and miss out on a Fire Wyrm in my planned 500pt expansion!