PDA

View Full Version : Playing an Ace / BloodRaven Theory %SP%

unknownps
12-10-2006, 23:25
a theory and a question :confused:

when is the stakes high enough for a company to play one of its trump cards?
the death of a major hero.. the revelation of a new race.. the removal of an old race.. the revealing of a Legion?

from previous post's around warseer the idea seem to be that the red marine pad found on the BR planet in Ascension seem to indicate they where thousand son descendants, but what if it really was a BR pad ? could the stakes be high enough for a major revelation in 40k history? i mean millions of people became aware of 40k through dawn of war, if this isnt big enough what is? Gw keeps things vague so later on years down the track reveal information, like the necrons and so forth for a long time where just a name mentioned in the brief fluff sections now there here

whats your take? would you like it if it was true? is it big enough? will it ever be known about the lost legions? this may be just the start we find a legion years down the track we find out about another primarch? maybe they deleted the records on themselves because the big guy fell but the legion stayed loyal to the emp! e.g. luna wolves vs sons of horus ??

delete / flame at will!

Icarus
13-10-2006, 00:03
I like to belive that the Blood Ravens are related to the Thousand Sons, either as a surviving loyalist contigent, or a post-heresy plot to use traitor geneseed. The only thing that could be bigger really is if they were one of the lost legions, but I find that very unlikely, as I see that as one place GW will not go unless there is real advantage in it.

Khaine's Messenger
13-10-2006, 00:51

That is not a question you should really ask GW...White Wolf, perhaps, as they've gone through a few full setting reboots. GW prefers to let things idle around five seconds to the apocalypse while expanding on intangibles such as history 65mya.

would you like it if it was true? is it big enough?

I'd think something along the lines of "so what?" I personally don't care whether they're Thousand Sons or not. Or what the two missing legions are doing for that matter.

schoon
13-10-2006, 15:24
As cynical as this is...

They continually feed interesting tid-bits of fluff in Codices and novels to keep the fans speculating (ala the two missing legions) and because authors like to write about new and "mysterious" stuff.

As for the creation or elimination of races: it happens when the game designers and marketing people want it to.

The Squats were eliminated by the designers because they didn't feel they'd done them right. Many races have been added and/or modified over time to sell more stuff. Nothing terribly sinister in that.

zealousheretic
13-10-2006, 20:43
The lost legions and other mysteries of the 40k universe should stay mysterious.

There's a lot in the setting that would get much less interesting if GW actually explained it all. I don't think GW should create canonical fluff that explains where the Tyranids come from, or whether they evolved on their own or were created by something (I would prefer the former, "bio-weapon gone horribly wrong" is such a tired old cliche), what happened to the lost legions, exactly what's going on with the Void Dragon, etc. these are far more interesting as mysteries.

That said, speculation is fun. My money is on the BR being connected to the TS somehow.

Kaoslord
14-10-2006, 06:51
The BloodRavens seem to be quite a standard chapter, with the exception of the whole "Thirst For Knoweldge" thing going. I'm more inclined to say they're just a bog standard UltraMarine Successor who've had a couple of chapter masters who were a bit too into their reading.

I'm hoping and praying that we do not eventually hear that a half thought out attempt at making a set of barely one-dimensional characters less than totally tofu is actually one of the much speculated about Legio Incognito

This would annoy me.

leonmallett
14-10-2006, 06:53
a theory and a question :confused:

the death of a major hero.. the revelation of a new race.. the removal of an old race.. the revealing of a Legion?

from previous post's around warseer the idea seem to be that the red marine pad found on the BR planet in Ascension seem to indicate they where thousand son descendants, but what if it really was a BR pad ? could the stakes be high enough for a major revelation in 40k history? i mean millions of people became aware of 40k through dawn of war, if this isnt big enough what is? Gw keeps things vague so later on years down the track reveal information, like the necrons and so forth for a long time where just a name mentioned in the brief fluff sections now there here

whats your take? would you like it if it was true? is it big enough? will it ever be known about the lost legions? this may be just the start we find a legion years down the track we find out about another primarch? maybe they deleted the records on themselves because the big guy fell but the legion stayed loyal to the emp! e.g. luna wolves vs sons of horus ??

delete / flame at will!

Do you mean that you suspect that the BR were one of the two unknown Primogenitor chapters? I ask because I haven't read the novel you speak of. Hasn't there been a CA on Blood Ravens that might help disprove this (or am I imagining this?)? Plus the fluff doesn't always tally with BL books which could mean the author (C.S. Goto) may be doing his own thing and therefore it may ultimately mean nothing.

Dais
14-10-2006, 08:33
in 40k fluff a suspision with any tangible or doccumented evidince supporting it at all is as close to a fact as you are going to get. how much writing is there on the herresy? yet there are still huge questions hidden in the story. why horus went chaos?, why konrad was so looney?, what happened to mannus and vulkan?... theese are all in the most doccumented story in 40k background.
i take the BR-1k sons link as very likely (but maybe a trick, that airhiman is sneaky). and i am quite happy with the ammount of background that blood ravens have gotten in their short time in the spotlight. there are a few founding legions with less fluff.
in short- never expect answers cut and dry in 40k