PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter nights. Is this my game for the summer??

Lord Setra
29-06-2005, 18:31
Well following on from the thread on WoW I am now thinking of getting NWN.

I would like to see what you guys think of this game. Is it great, ok, or crap.

Is the online play laggy or smooth, and is the gaming oppurtunities good.

So come on Warseer, talk to me.

Lord Setra

Snoozer
29-06-2005, 18:39
well I love it, one of the best games I've ever played...

never tried it online though, I don't really care for online gaming.

:D

Shuya
29-06-2005, 18:40
I Was planning to buy NvN and the exspansion packs also for the summer (if theres a complete set out in the UK i would be gratefull) becuse im have alot of free time

Lord Setra
29-06-2005, 18:43
well im not sure if im allowed to do this but,

www.play.com has the best deal for NWN and the expansions. Just do a search for deluxe version.

That was the one I was thinking of getting.

Ozorik
29-06-2005, 18:47
TBH I found it a bit tedious. Its feels like a totally stipped down version of baldurs gate and the plot is hardly special.

Its worth playing but I wasnt able to play through it again (I gave up halfway through the prison level).

Lord Setra
29-06-2005, 18:48
Did you have the expansion sets at all?

My friend told me that I would need all the expansion sets to play online.

x-esiv-4c
29-06-2005, 19:00
NWN is a pure dungeon crawl when compared to games like Baldurs gate, if you like that sort of thing then it's a really good game.

Lord Setra
29-06-2005, 19:01
Hmm dungeon crawl reminds me of Diablo, is it anything like that?

Bloodthirster90
29-06-2005, 19:11
I dont know about being like Diablo, but i recently got it with the two expansions and I have been amazed so far. If you ever played Runescape and liked it, you will like this.

Ozorik
30-06-2005, 10:15
IMO its inferior to diablo. It plays in a similar way but at least Diablo revels in its dungeon crawling nature.

hairyman
30-06-2005, 11:35
Yeah, it's dull, repetative and lacking in atmosphere. It reminded me of a poor quality Dungeon Siege.. especially the horrible looking inventory screens... not a fan of this type of game. I like my rpg's meaty and detailed, like Baldur's Gate or Morrowind. Neverwinter Nights owes more to monster bashing 2d arcade games.

I also don't like the way you play a lone character, I think it's the worst translation of D&D to a PC that I've seen (even temple of elemental evil reproduced the system better, even if it was bugged to :eek: ), and I found it too easy.

Sorry for such a negative post, but I felt really let down by this game. With all the time, effort and hype - and the design tools - I was really hoping for something better. :mad:

DisruptorX
30-06-2005, 15:46
I agree with the above, also factor in horrible graphics and a clunky engine that makes it a chore to open chests, and you have a mediocre at best game.

You would be better off just getting Baldur's Gate II or Torment, much, much better AD&D games.

Arnizipal
30-06-2005, 16:02
NWN is a pure dungeon crawl when compared to games like Baldurs gate, if you like that sort of thing then it's a really good game.
Is it like Pool of Radiance? Now that was a boring game!

x-esiv-4c
30-06-2005, 16:31
Yeah it feels like Pool of Radiance, that game did suck quite heavily....

skavenguy13
30-06-2005, 17:12
I don't like this game because it's really long, linear and HUGE. I mean, 3 CDs :eek: it takes 1+gig or the hard drive.

As for playing, it wasn't that fun. The fights are a bit strange IMO...the chests are very stupid and if you forgot a little item somewhere...well, you just lost like 30minuts to get back there. And as in a couple of games, you can take the same character and start a new game, with all of the stuff you earned. Problem is, the game will be EXACTLY the same, exept you're stronger. Boring. I really prefered Elders Scroll 3 Morrowind (or whatever it is called)

DisruptorX
30-06-2005, 21:18
I don't like this game because it's really long, linear and HUGE. I mean, 3 CDs :eek: it takes 1+gig or the hard drive.

3 cd's is not "huge".

Baldur's Gate II is 5 and Unreal Tournament 2k4 is like 8 or something.

It certainly is linear, though. ((and boring :p ))

Cheesejoff
03-07-2005, 15:03
Single player is kind of broing, but multiplayer is where it's at. If you haven't played MP you shouldn't comment, because that's like saying UT2004 sucks because it's bots are bad...