PDA

View Full Version : "The Dawi are on the march......"

John Wayne II
13-10-2006, 11:15
Hey. Been thinking of starting Dwarfs for a while, and whenever I start an army I run up a list immediately to see what I need to buy. Anyway, to cut a long story short, here it's my 2000pts Dwarf list. Enjoy.

Lords and Heroes

Lord
Great Weapon, Gromgil armour
Rune of Stone

Thane
BSB
Strollaz's Rune

Runesmith
Rune of Spellbreaking

Core troops

19 Longbeards (BSB goes here)
Hand weapon and shield
Full Command

19 Warriors (Runesmith goes here)
Hand weapon and shield
Full Command

20 Warriors
Great weapons
Full Command

Special units

19 Hammerers (Lord goes here)
Full Command

20 Slayers

Cannon
Rune of Reloading

Grudgethrower
Rune of Burning

Rare units

Organ gun

Gyrocopter

I haven't spent many points on runes because I wanted to have as many troops as possible. It is an aggressive army (or at least it's supposed to be) but with a fair bit of firepower. I have kept the characters cheap and cheerful so as not to fall in the pit trap of sinking too many points on one unit, and to make them cost effective.

Any comments welcome. :D

Tutore
13-10-2006, 13:05
I like it! A unit of warrior could be changed for some thunderers, perhaps.

DeathlessDraich
13-10-2006, 13:12
5 blocks of Dwarf infantry is very effective. - 1 Unbreakable, 1 Stubborn and 1 immune to panic.
How many Giant slayers are there in your block of slayers?
A bolt thrower or 2 with runes is more effective than a cannon that depends on chance

Prince Sairion
13-10-2006, 22:39
Exactly the way Dwarfs should be played, with a couple of personal exceptions.

Strollaz's rune. In this list you have three static artillery pieces that will get left behind or won't be able to shoot for the first turn because of this rune.

It's a lot of points in a 2k game but seen as combat and numbers is what you seem to be playing on, what about the Master rune of stromni redbeard for +1 resolution all round? It would also mean the longbeards (casualties permitting) would start a combat with 3 ranks, BSB, std, banner +1 and (rune of stoicism) numbers. 7 without kills.

Otherwise, bigger unit of warriors to allow them to get charged and last (any respectable general will choose these guys over the others to smash into) and shields fot the hammies so they can be shot at and maybe last to fight.

John Wayne II
14-10-2006, 13:54
Exactly the way Dwarfs should be played, with a couple of personal exceptions.

Strollaz's rune. In this list you have three static artillery pieces that will get left behind or won't be able to shoot for the first turn because of this rune.

It's a lot of points in a 2k game but seen as combat and numbers is what you seem to be playing on, what about the Master rune of stromni redbeard for +1 resolution all round? It would also mean the longbeards (casualties permitting) would start a combat with 3 ranks, BSB, std, banner +1 and (rune of stoicism) numbers. 7 without kills.

Otherwise, bigger unit of warriors to allow them to get charged and last (any respectable general will choose these guys over the others to smash into) and shields fot the hammies so they can be shot at and maybe last to fight.

Fair enough. But where am I going to get enough points for those things? I would perphas have to drop a warmachine, or make my characters even cheaper if that's possible. Is the Runesmith worth it? Sure, he gives me protection against magic, but apart from that he doesn't contribute a lot. Seeing how magic has been nerfed, with the new miscast table and targetting rules (no more hiding wizards) and seeing how Dwarfs already increased immunity to magic, do I really need him? A thane could perphas give me a bit more punch, and possibly cheaper as well depending how I equip him.

Yeah, the warmachines will get left behind, but isn't that what they are for, to stay back and shoot? I want to get into close combat as soon as possible
and Strollaz's Rune helps me do this. Maybe if I swap, say, the cannon, for a Bolt Thrower with the Master Rune of Immolation so that is the enmy does get to my warmachines he gets a nasty surprise. Or not. *shrugs*

Are Oathstones worth it? I was thinking of perphas having a Thane with this nasty little item. You don't get to move, but perphas you could set up the Oathstone unit as bait and let it get charged by as many units as possible. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks for the advice. Any more advice welcome. :D

EDIT: DeathlessDraich, I don't have any Giant Slayers in the Slayer unit, that's why they aren't mentioned :). I did plan to have 3 but I ran out of points. Are they worth it?

truthsayer
14-10-2006, 15:33
Fair enough. But where am I going to get enough points for those things? I would perphas have to drop a warmachine, or make my characters even cheaper if that's possible. Is the Runesmith worth it? Sure, he gives me protection against magic, but apart from that he doesn't contribute a lot. Seeing how magic has been nerfed, with the new miscast table and targetting rules (no more hiding wizards) and seeing how Dwarfs already increased immunity to magic, do I really need him? A thane could perphas give me a bit more punch, and possibly cheaper as well depending how I equip him.

Definately keep the runesmith, magic hasnt been nerfed that much to warrant only 4 dispel dice. The odds of miscasting are still the same as before.

Yeah, the warmachines will get left behind, but isn't that what they are for, to stay back and shoot? I want to get into close combat as soon as possible
and Strollaz's Rune helps me do this. Maybe if I swap, say, the cannon, for a Bolt Thrower with the Master Rune of Immolation so that is the enmy does get to my warmachines he gets a nasty surprise. Or not. *shrugs*

Strollas is nice but with that many big units of infantry moving across the board you will at some point block los to the enemy. I would drop the grudge thrower they arent that good really. maybe get 2 bolt throwers, one with the rune of immolation and put that one slightly forward so if the war machines are in trouble the enemy hopefully charge that one first. then you blow it up. That way you could put your war machines on a far flank so you will have los for longer.

Are Oathstones worth it? I was thinking of perphas having a Thane with this nasty little item. You don't get to move, but perphas you could set up the Oathstone unit as bait and let it get charged by as many units as possible. Anyone have experience with them?

I dont like oathstones, i know dwarfs dont move that fast but in a game of movement stopping a unit from moving for the rest of the game is suicide in my eyes.

Try skimming a few dwarfs off some units to find the points you need for buying other stuff, id consider dropping the slayers to 15, drop a unit of warriors and get some thunderers. Oh and i think your lord needs a 5+ ward cus he would just die with only a 3+ armour save.

WLBjork
14-10-2006, 18:58
Either go all out attack, and drop the static warmachines (which I tend to find struggle to find LOS when my troops move) or go hybrid.

Personally, I like going on the attack, without the static warmachines.

Therefore, I would look to trade in the Warmachines for the Master Rune of Grungi and some Miners. Any points left over can be used for some Giant Slayers :D