PDA

View Full Version : Master Rune of Challange

Finn Sourscowl
13-10-2006, 13:48
Hi all,
I'm going to be using the MR of Challange in a tournament tomorrow and wondered what people normally use it for. I was thinking of using it to force fast cav etc into charges that they really don't want early in the battle... trying to force the opponents battle line out of shape. But I was wondering if people used it to force hard fighty units to charge or if people had other cunning plans for it!

Any comments welcome!

truthsayer
13-10-2006, 15:22
Give it to a master engineer on an entrenched war machine. give the M.E the 1+ save and a great weapon and watch as an enemy unit gets stuck when the war machine crew dont go anywhere due to being stubborn.

It might be considered cheesy or not nice though.

Cloud Strife
13-10-2006, 15:23
I've used this Rune a lot myself and it is very much a mixed bag depending on who you play - virtually useless against Woodies I've found out enough times.

A couple of friends have considered its tournament use in armies, and the big obvious one is for using it with Thorgrim and a BSB with Strollaz to pretty much make sure that the biggest non-immune to psychology unit of heavy cav hits Thorgrim's unit in turn 1 or 2 and dies, or legs it and probably dies (given that you will be at least 18" apart so if you go first, you can get to 12" away) and this means that for certain armies they can't win.

My main use for it is really to get units to actually get into combat with units that they wouldn't want to normally charge - like Hammerers with a Lord in the unit - just to make sure that my characters and units actually have a chance of getting their points back instead of sitting around doing nothing all day. Another favourite of mine is using it with something like Strollaz's or the Anvil to try to get big monster riders to charge the front of the units in Turn 1 as at that point most will falter to a ranked-up unit especially if a character can hit them.

To be honest it could work for getting rid of fast cavalry, but in my opinion it is better used on getting better close combat units to combat your Hammer units (no pun intended) as you already have enough in a Dwarf army to counter fast cavalry - Thunderers, Quarrellers and Organ Guns (and the Rune of Wrath and Ruin if using an Anvil).

Cloud Strife
13-10-2006, 15:27
Give it to a master engineer on an entrenched war machine. give the M.E the 1+ save and a great weapon and watch as an enemy unit gets stuck when the war machine crew dont go anywhere due to being stubborn.

It might be considered cheesy or not nice though.

Only suggestion if you do use this is to give the War Machine the rune for Unbreakable crew and Engineer for the small price of the War Machine must still be standing - but it will work well as I've seen enough things stay locked in combat with an Engineer on an unbreakable Grudge Thrower with the Engineer having a 1+ re-rollable save - was really just a slightly anti-flying monster trick for a big tournament.

stecal
13-10-2006, 15:29
Also extremely useful to mess up your opponent's plans. If you see him lining up multiple front & flank charges, challenge an enemy unit to charge diagonally against another unit still in its charge arc, etc.

the anti santa
15-10-2006, 13:43
I'm not sure if it's worth it in tournaments.

Since it doesn't work on units immune to psychology it'll be useless against some armies and very limited against others.

1 sneaky tactic is to put it on a charcter with rune of brotherhood and have him join some rangers, if you get 1st turn you can make a juicy enemy unit either charge you or flee off the board, or maybe cause multiple panic.

Another use is to have the same character join miners with blast charges.

heretics bane
15-10-2006, 21:09
it would be better if it could work on single cahracters, then give a deamon slayer it and pick the armys general out and hack him to pieces.

Finn Sourscowl
16-10-2006, 08:46
Thanks for the replies! I used it in the tournament on a runesmith in my generals regiment of hammerers and can say that it was VERY useful... except against woodies. First game Woodies: pretty much everything stayed out of LOS and my front charge arch... the only thing that could charge were some glade guard who promtly fled. Well, at least it denied a round of shooting! Second game: much better! Used it to get a DE beastmaster on manticore to charge. Killed the beastmaster and the manticore ran off. Third Game: Bretonnians... forced a unit of Knights of the relm with general to charge the stubbon hammerers rather than the longbeards standing beside, who promtly counter charged the next turn, breaking the knights (who got away... damn knights!). Fourth: Orc General by himself on a war boar beside a large unit of black orcs. Turn 5 bring the general into combat by himself (the black orcs were still too far away to support him), he loses combat (taking 2 wounds), flees and allows my generals regiment to gleefully pursue into the black orcs, who appeared to have invincible armour, if the number of 6's that my opponent rolled to save was anything to go by! Game 6 made a unit of Empire knights flee rather than charge.

I ended up using it almost exclusively to draw things in when my opponent really didn't want to charge, so in the end, it was a good thing. Ended up 18th out of 46, so was well pleased with that, for a first tourny :)