PDA

View Full Version : New Chaos Army!

Llothlian
13-10-2006, 15:31
Hello and welcome to the WFB forum!

Wait, it is me who is new here, nvm.

Anyway, I've started my first WFB army, which is Slaaneshii Hordes, with a heavy slint towards daemons. I have 30 Daemonettes, 5 Mounted Daemonettes, a Forge World Keeper of Secrets on my desk in the block, and have 3 boxes of Chaos Warriors, a Slaaneshii Hero and the army book shipping their way from England as we speak. Do I have enough to make a 2,000 point army?

I need more cavalry to make it a viable army, 2x5 Marauder Cavalry, 5 more Mounted Daemonettes I think will be my next purchase.

Sound good?

ardude
13-10-2006, 16:29
you have enough, that's for sure.
but I am missing the knights, also some spawns would be nice.

Holy Crap! Manticores!
14-10-2006, 08:47
I dunno, I think it would be cool to see a Chaos army with no Knights.

Dare to be different!

Frankly
14-10-2006, 10:16
Sounds like a very solid list already.

Furies would be a good buy, flyers always have a task to do in WHFB.

ss_cherubael
16-10-2006, 07:12
dont need the flyers with the mounted nettes

easily have enough there for 2000pts, i think u need the knights in a chaos army as besides the fact that it wouldn be rude for ur opponent to expect chosen knights and u turn up with none, they are good at what they do and have some nice minis. maybe invest in hounds not marauder horse men and go for a wizard

Llothlian
18-10-2006, 09:05
I was planning on buying a level 4 Mage Lord (I hear Slaaneshii Magic is pretty good) and a couple of level 2 Heroes. This with my Greater Daemon (who may well get religated to Daemon Prince) should be enough to outmagic pretty much anything buy a Tzeench army, shouldn't it?

The reason I was thinking about Marauder cavalry is so I can have something to counter my regular opponents fast cav (goblins and dark elves), but maybe if I go magic heavy I can just blast them.

Thanks for the advice all!

One last thing though! The person I will be playing most often plays Goblins, and he likes to take 3 mages (so I will need some of my own), 3 artillery pieces (so I need mounted daemonettes / flyers), and MILLIONS of fanatics. How will I deal with those? I have been thinking about sacrificial minimum sized units of mauraders to draw them out, but is there anything else I can use? Such as a banner which puts my guys in cover or something?

Neknoh
18-10-2006, 09:31
A Keeper of Seecrets is allready a Level 4 Slaaneshi Sorceror, and it takes up a Lord, a Rare and a Hero slot, therefore, you cannot add an Exalted Sorceror to your list.

Now, let's see if we can get something together from that list of minis you mentioned (also, get a Sorceror of Slaanesh if you want Magic, use your hero of slaanesh in lower points battles).

Keeper of Seecrets, Greater Daemon of Slaanesh
- ... 625 pts

Sorceror of Chaos
- Mark of Slaanesh, Level 2, Spell Familliar, Sword of Battle... 175 pts

12 Daemonettes of Slaanesh
- ... 180 pts

12 Daemonettes of Slaanesh
- ... 180 pts

5 Mounted Daemonettes
- ... 150 pts

12 Warriors of Chaos
- Mark of Slaanesh, Additional Handweapons, Shields, Full Command... 266 pts

12 Warriors of Chaos
- Mark of Slaanesh, Additional Handweapons, Shields, Full Command... 266 pts

5 Marauder Horsemen
- Musician, Flails... 81 pts

Chaos Spawn
- Fiend of Slaanesh... 75 pts

Points total... 1998 pts

Then, you will still have 12 warriors to model up whichever way you want (I suggest Hallberds adn Shields), that way, you can swap your Warriors arround and sometimes use Additional Handweapons and sometimes use Hallberds.

You will also have six Daemonettes left for testing collourschemes on or perhaps adding to the base of your Greater Daemon for further coolness of the model

Knuth
18-10-2006, 09:47
Nice list, but i think u should exchange our warriors for mauraders insted, u only get 24 models for for over 500 points. In my opinion, they are not worth it. I think 2 larger block of mauraders should do the trick, or som more horse men.

Neknoh
18-10-2006, 09:57
ugh, Knuth, could you please be so kind to avoid words like "u" in the future, it makes my eyes bleed.

Anyhow, yes, I would have liked to throw in three larger blocks of Marauders rather than the two units of Warriors, however, Llothlian doesn't have any marauders atm. and he seem to like warriors, and thus, I did my best with what I had at my hands.

Pravus
18-10-2006, 10:25
Obvious point but worth making for the sake of completeness - in 7th edition you units of twelve will need to rank up 6x2 to get a rank bonus (or 5-5-2 but that's just wasting two models) - 4x4 doesn't work anymore. I understand 12 is good thematically, but it does have a game effect as well.

Combination charges with the mounted daemonettes in the flank and an infantry unit to the front are the order of the day to make the most of your high number of attacks and low static CR.

One thing I would say from a gaming rather than a thematic perspective is that a Daemon Prince is more flexible than a greater daemon. Flight and the fact it isn't a large target counts for a lot, especially if you're facing artillery or massed shooting.

Best of luck - this looks like a great army in the making!

Neknoh
18-10-2006, 10:29
Ah yes, however, a Daemonprince is less survivable than a Greater Daemon, 6 wounds at Toughness 6 with the Daemonic Ward and all of the Slaaneshi powers makes the Greater Daemon of Slaanesh a foe to be feared by any and all who wish to face it, remember, Movement 9 and pivoting like a Monster makes it highly manouverable.

Pravus
18-10-2006, 10:46
I don't care how many wounds you've got, if you're facing a load of bolt-throwers each with +1 to hit and you can't hide you'll end up dead long before the flying and hiding daemon prince.

Llothlian
18-10-2006, 16:02
Thanks for the great advice guys! I had planned on using both Knights and Daemonettes in 3 ranks with 5 files . Is that a bad way to go?

Neknoh
18-10-2006, 20:20
Knights in 3 ranks of 5? Deffinately not, one rank of 6 is enough.

Daemonettes, I prefer two ranks of either 6 or 7

Freak Ona Leash
18-10-2006, 20:33
Why have a unit of 15 knights? Five is usually enough, eight-ten at most.

Llothlian
19-10-2006, 06:03
I meanth Warriors not Knights. :D

Brother Maynard
20-10-2006, 13:50
You have alot of "elitish" expensive units you're fielding. Perhaps you could, as mentioned above, tone down the Demon to a DP or Exalted, 86 the 2nd unit of warriors, and load up on mauraders, hounds, and maybe even some furies? I think the key to Slaneesh is speed, which you're using somewhat, but I think you could be exploiting this characteristic even more. Ever consider a Chariot with Slaneesh steeds? Very fast, very deadly.

Neknoh
20-10-2006, 17:05
Very illegal outside of the Daemonic Legion

Llothlian
21-10-2006, 12:35
The problem is, I don't have the models. :D I don't want to buy more models until I have painted the 3,000 pts of SoB, 2,500 pts of Marines, and 2,500 pts of WFB Chaos... This is the list I have atm, using all my models!

++Lord++
Keeper of Secrets.

++Heroes++
Exalted Champion w/ mark of slaanesh, + 50 pts of magical goodness
Exalted Champion w/ mark of slaanesh, + 50 pts of magical goodness

++Core++

10 Daemonettes
10 Daemonettes
10 Daemonettes
5 Mounted Daemonettes

++Special++

15 Chosen Warriors w/ hand weapons, full comd, magic banner, Mark of S
10 Warriors w/ hand weapons, full comd, Mark of S
10 Warriors w/ hand weapons, full comd, Mark of S

That totals out at 2494 points or there about. I plan on adding another unit of 5 mounted daemonettes, and another box of warriors to up the regiments I have to 15 a piece. How does that sound? My first game with this list will be on wednesday, and I plan on taking it to a convension in denmark (should be fun, I only speak English!) next month. Is there anything which needs urgent attention?

Neknoh
21-10-2006, 19:53
I'd go for one Sorceror of Slaanesh and an increase in the unit sizes of the Daemonettes rather than two Exalted Champions

Slaaneshi Slave
23-10-2006, 08:45
My master wishes you to know that He thinks this army is great! It is almost the same as His blessed horde! My Slaanesh grant you many victories in His name!