PDA

View Full Version : 2500 points of Tomb Kings of a league

Blagrot Squigbreff
13-10-2006, 17:13
Hi, I'm playing a Warhammer league starting in a couple of weeks and I've decided to try a new army - Tomb Kings. The army started out Persian themed and it has lost that a bit but I still want to use alot of 'light' units.

Lord - King Darius III (Tomb King) with Destroyer of Eternities. (240)

Hero - Liche Priest Xerxes with Heriatic Jar, Dispel Scroll and Skeletal Steed (173)

Hero - Liche Priest Astyages with Cloak of Dunes and Dispel Scroll (160)

Hero - Liche Priest Cambyses with Golden Ankhra (160) (Hierophant)

Core - 4 Chariots with Standard, Musician and Banner of the Undying Legion (215)

Core - 4 Chariots with Standard and Musician (190)

Core - 11 Skeletons with Bows (88)

Core - 11 Skeletons with Bows (88)

Core - 10 Skeletons with Bows (80)

Core - 2 Tomb Swarms (90)

Special - Tomb Scorpion (85)

Special - 18 Tomb Guard with Full Command and Icon of Rakaph (286)

Special - 4 Ushabti (260)

Rare - Screaming Skull Catapult with Skulls of the Foe (110)

(2500)

I will be facing a wide range of opponents - there are seventeen players including myself.
The army is fairly defensive but can fight on the move if it needs to, the Chariots are for flanking with one of the two mobile Liche Priests following each if they deploy on different flanks.
The Tomb Guard and Ushabti will hold the Center with the Archers on their flanks.
The Skorpions will deploy normally, likely between the Archers and Chariots if there are few or no soft targets (Warmachines and Mages.)
The Swarms will burrow, possibly in the middle to distract my opponent or to hunt soft targets.

My main worrys are the lack of Ranks and my choice of Hierophant, is the Ankhra's Ward Save worth it.

Feel free to tear it to shreds and thanks in advance of any help.

Von Wibble
14-10-2006, 21:41
I would make the Cloak of Dunes priest the Hierophant. I don't think the 4+ ward is worth taking as you don't want to be targetted at all. Staff of Ravening could be a better choice, or a 3rd tomb swarm.

Its very different to my normal TK army, but could work out OK. It looks balanced and effective. Only against Dwarfs do I think you have a problem. But they're an army I don't know how to beat with TK anyway.

I like Standard of the Cursing Word on chariots (lots of models affected with a base of that size), but Undying Legion is also good.

The only main advice I would give is to have 1 units of 20 archers and 2 of 10 not 4 of 10ish. With full command group you have a shooty and combat unit, and with a hill you will still get most of your shots.

Blagrot Squigbreff
15-10-2006, 10:12
I would make the Cloak of Dunes priest the Hierophant. I don't think the 4+ ward is worth taking as you don't want to be targetted at all. Staff of Ravening could be a better choice

Yeah I've been pretty uncertain about the Ankhra, the Staff of Ravening will give me another spell to throw, and this list has quite a bit of magic.

The only main advice I would give is to have 1 units of 20 archers and 2 of 10 not 4 of 10ish. With full command group you have a shooty and combat unit, and with a hill you will still get most of your shots.

Is the Champion worth it, he seems expensive for 1 extra attack unless there is a character in the unit for him to accept challenges on behalf of.

I've been worried about Dwarves the army needs it's incantations to work smoothly and I'm not sure how many I can get past a Dwarf army, esp one with a lot of firepower.

Thanks for the advice:) .

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2006, 12:18
1) A good list which is viable.
2) You obviously like the arrow of the Asp - 46 shots per turn. Von Wibble is right in suggesting blocks of 20 bowmen which could reform into 5X4 infantry to hold up units. Units of 10 bowmen can be used as sacrificials.
3) 2 Catapults is a little extravagant but it could work if you're lucky and good at estimating.
4) 2 Scorpions only or a Scorpion and a Swarm are better combinations. With a US 4 Scorpions are not effective on their own except against warmachines.
5) Your Tomb King appears to have no saves at all!
6) A single ranked up block does not work most of the time unless it clearly outnumbers the enemy. You either need a bigger block of Tomb Guard (24 or more) or a block of 30 Spearmen as well.
Against dwarves, you have the advantage of choosing where and against whom you wish to fight. A refused flank is the favoured deployment. Scorpions can deal with unentrenched warmachines. Once you've removed one or 2, engage the dwarves in a chosen flank. Use magical charges to engage the weaker units, ignoring slayers and ironbreakers as long as possible. You cannot afford to be bogged down in combat.

Blagrot Squigbreff
15-10-2006, 12:43
1) A good list which is viable.

2) You obviously like the arrow of the Asp - 46 shots per turn. Von Wibble is right in suggesting blocks of 20 bowmen which could reform into 5X4 infantry to hold up units. Units of 10 bowmen can be used as sacrificials.

The original army was Persian inspired and consisted solely of light chariots and archers.

3) 2 Catapults is a little extravagant but it could work if you're lucky and good at estimating.

I'm usually reliable at guessing and I'm not sure what else to use against high save units.

For your other points how does this look:

Lord - King Darius III (Tomb King) with Destroyer of Eternities. (240)

Hero - Liche Priest Xerxes with Heriatic Jar, Dispel Scroll and Skeletal Steed (173)

Hero - Liche Priest Astyages with Cloak of Dunes and Dispel Scroll (160) (Hierophant)

Hero - Liche Priest Cambyses with Staff of Ravening (160)

Core - 4 Chariots with Standard, Musician and Banner of the Undying Legion (215)

Core - 4 Chariots with Standard and Musician (190)

Core - 20 Skeletons with Bows, Standard and Musician (175)

Special - 25 Tomb Guard with Full Command and Icon of Rakaph (370)

Special - 4 Ushabti (260)

(2493)
If there are no warmachines to attack, the Scorpians will try and combine charges with other units to add a bit more punch, I wasn't planning on launching solo charges at anything with ranks;) .
I can't buy any magic to go with the Destroyer of Eternities on the Tomb King and he can only get light armour and a shield he can't use in combat. I did consider the Spear of Antarhak and the Crown of Kings to make him more of a support model, but I'd have to drop something to get him the Enchanted Shield.

Von Wibble
15-10-2006, 15:19
Vambraces of the Sun are nice on a Tomb King. My usual combo is flail of skulls, collar of shapesh, vambraces.

For killing armour, casket of souls wins every time. I still fondly remember the time I wiped out 6 Chosen Chaos Knights with it :D It also murders war machine crews and lone characters.

The opponent now always saves 3 dispel dice to deal with it. which is great as that's a couple of free incantations elsewhere!

That said I could happily use the army you have picked against most opponents.

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2006, 17:38
Yes, definitely an army worthy of the followers of the great Settra!
Good luck.

Blagrot Squigbreff
15-10-2006, 17:44
For killing armour, casket of souls wins every time. I still fondly remember the time I wiped out 6 Chosen Chaos Knights with it It also murders war machine crews and lone characters.

The opponent now always saves 3 dispel dice to deal with it. which is great as that's a couple of free incantations elsewhere!

It looks great fun but I've shown an amazing ability to roll exactly 2 lower than my opponents leadership:cries: , so I've given up on the Casket for now.

That said I could happily use the army you have picked against most opponents.

Yes, definitely an army worthy of the followers of the great Settra!
Good luck.

Cheers and thanks for the help.