PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor + Retinue: Psyker, Gunner, CC

Heretic12
13-10-2006, 19:39
Well I have a few SoB's and a Cannoness built up and painted to the best of my ability, And Im thinking of slowly building up a full force through the occasional blister or box. Im looking get an inquisitor for my force but Im kinda at a loss to how I gear up him and his retinue.

The main point of the force is to be a Firebase setup, real heavy emphasis on taking up acouple positions and letting my enemy come to me.

Ill be running a full chunk of assassins to start trouble behing enemy lines, Callidus or Eversor + 3 DC's.

I was thinking of possibly a moble firebase for him, decked out gun servitors, acolytes etc etc. But I think it would be good to have a CC monster in a can to go after enemy HQs/Assault units that get a little to close for comfort.

Then again if I went heavy radical psyker I could stop enemy charges out front of my fireline in range for rapid fire, as well as pump out some decent anti-Ld. I also dont think many opponents would expect that out of a SoB force.

Any suggestions? Your Inquisitors Retinue?

shveen
13-10-2006, 19:50
If you want to pump out a serious amount of fire this is the way to go.

Inq. Lord
pyscannon
2 sages
3 heavy bolter gun warriors
3 acolytes with bolter/plasma combi wepon.

now that's shooting.

shveen

Heretic12
13-10-2006, 19:57
Witch hunters cant take psycannons.

idinos
13-10-2006, 20:25
You can ally a DH inquisitor.

The Judge
13-10-2006, 22:07
That is some serious firepower.

bobert the great clen one
13-10-2006, 22:13
how many shots is thats!!!!

Gen_eV
13-10-2006, 22:20
Nine heavy bolter shots, three psycannon, and 3/6 bolter/plasma shots dependent on range. Plus a re-roll to hit across the lot of 'em.

Icarus
14-10-2006, 00:49
You should check out the Witch Hunters Tactica (in the Tactics forums surprisingly! :) ). There's a lot of discussion about various Inquisitor Loadouts there.
A favourite is :

Inq Lord with Bolter, Carapace Armour, Liber Heresisus
3 Heavy Bolter Servitors
3 Acolytes with Carapace Armour, Bolters (these are optional, points depending)
2 Chirugeons.

This give you a nice shooty unit, that doesn't break the bank and can freely ignore the first wound it takes each turn.

(Evil)Ash
14-10-2006, 15:19
You should check out the Witch Hunters Tactica (in the Tactics forums surprisingly! :) ). There's a lot of discussion about various Inquisitor Loadouts there.
A favourite is :

3 Heavy Bolter Servitors
3 Acolytes with Carapace Armour, Bolters (these are optional, points depending)
2 Chirugeons.

This give you a nice shooty unit, that doesn't break the bank and can freely ignore the first wound it takes each turn.

I hate the fact that DH accolytes can't take carapace (so they eithers get and expencive 3+ save or a 6+ notting in between).

anyways, are you guys forgetting they can take one Plasma cannon? you can also give your accolytes (and Inquisitor) storm bolters .

greetz,:evilgrin:

Seleucus
14-10-2006, 22:57
I hate the fact that DH accolytes can't take carapace (so they eithers get and expencive 3+ save or a 6+ notting in between).

IIRC, this has been sorted, either in an FAQ or reprint of the Codex (I think the latter), and DH now get Carapace for Acolytes.

Seleucus

UnRiggable
14-10-2006, 23:48
Yeah there are really three combos I find that are worth it.
1. The psycannon Inquisitor and three Heavy Bolter servitors, maybe with a sage.
2. The Plasma Pistol + (any ccw) with three vet sgts with plasma guns and a 'saver' (esentially the equivalent of the medic)
3. Power Weapon + Rosarius and three crusaders.

Velict
15-10-2006, 00:52
In general, always go with a shooting retinue. Inquisitors just aren't CC characters, with their low stats. (This is just from DH perspective, don't know how WH Retinues work).

idinos
15-10-2006, 10:42
Inquisitor lord with divine pronouncement in a transport, paired up with a culexus assassin. Unless you are playing lots of fearless armies then it's fleeing time for lots of armies!

Carnelian
15-10-2006, 12:49
I don't think you can use psychic powers when in a transport according to the new FAQ which makes that a little less powerful I'm afraid.

idinos
15-10-2006, 14:02
The transport is to close in as divine pronouncement only has an 18'' range, but the power can still be used from within the transport.

swamp_slug
15-10-2006, 21:48

Can I just ask why you mention Carapace Armour here?
As an Inquisitor Lord he comes with a 3+ save as standard, even a basic Elite-slot Inquisitor has a 4+ save as standard.
You shouldn't need to buy armour for him, only for his acolytes.

The_Patriot
15-10-2006, 22:13
Can I just ask why you mention Carapace Armour here?
As an Inquisitor Lord he comes with a 3+ save as standard, even a basic Elite-slot Inquisitor has a 4+ save as standard.
You shouldn't need to buy armour for him, only for his acolytes.

It's to put the Iquisitor Lord into the majority save and allows his acolytes to soak wounds.

Icarus
15-10-2006, 22:59
What he said, with the addition that you can allocate one wound on the Inquisitor and then ignore it with a Chirugeon :)

Carnelian
16-10-2006, 23:04
If only the chirugeon worked like every other medic it wouldn't be necessary..

Icarus
16-10-2006, 23:32
I know. Silly isn't it?

"Hi Mr. Inquisitor, I'm the highly trained doctor you sent for!"
"Oh good, my bodyguard is injured, see to him at once."
"Erm... sorry no can do. I'm only allowed to heal you."
"That's preposterous! Why?"
"Just.... because...."

Carnelian
17-10-2006, 13:53
Also:

"Here, Mr. Inquisitor, I am only of any use if you wear this far inferior carapace armour...Let's get you out of that ratty old power armour...It's not fit for a beggar"

Idinos you are right, I misread the FAQ - psychic powers can be used from transports in the same manner as guns.

Rhamag
17-10-2006, 23:41
Just wondering if anyone's tried the 4-psychic overload Inquistor army with any sucess? (psychic Inquisitor Lord etc. as HQ and 3 psychic Inquisitors etc. as Elites). I don't have the models to do it yet, but as a long-time Fantasy player expanding into 40K I guess it could be interesting, and enjoyable even, if not necessarily game-winning.

With my current force I'm going to try Inquisitor Lord & Inquisitor with SM Librarian & marines as allies, just to see what happens in random games at my local GW.

Heretic12
18-10-2006, 00:09
That plan sounds rather intriguing to say the least, Though you might find yourself at a loss against Tzeentch and other Imperial forces. Ive made the choice that Im going power weapon heavy CC inquisitor lord, in my assassination army.

mkerr
18-10-2006, 01:57
I've been working on optimal Inquisitorial builds for a long time (I run both WH and DH lists). My favorite is a shooty Inquisitor like this:

Inquisitor Lord (Carapace Armor, Bolter)
- Retinue: 3 HB Servitors, 2 Chirurgeons, an 3 Acolytes (Boltgun, Carapace Armor).

For an elite Inquisitor I drop two of the Acolytes.

I find that in heavy cover, I rarely lose more than a model or two. It's very effective at 24" and 36" and serves as a solid scoring unit that never loses it's points.

Most enemies will shoot it once or twice but rarely more than that. With cover saves, chirurgeons and the ability to put wounds on my Inquisitor and his acolytes this unit can take a ton of wounds before losing any Gun Servitors.

The real secret is keeping the majority armor type 4+ as long as possible. Resist the temptation to add tons of 6+ models.

(Evil)Ash
23-10-2006, 23:36
IIRC, this has been sorted, either in an FAQ or reprint of the Codex (I think the latter), and DH now get Carapace for Acolytes.

Seleucus

Hey, thanx for the update. and I assume this is corrected in the reprint as it's not in the FaQ. though it's great that GW publishes the changes they make in a new print :rolleyes:

greetz,

ss_cherubael
24-10-2006, 02:34
if playing witch hunters take an Inquisitor with a retinue of crusaders and then acolytes with power weapons or man traps and familars and make sure the inq has a power weapon!
seriously whack that in a transport and send it for a stroll it'll munch many a SM or MEQ army, or go for the shooty inquisitor as many of those armies lack massed fire power but dont forget the ever important plasma cannon and the sages to re roll the exploding one!
an all psychic inq army is fun to use but is horrible at winning games, two editions ago it would have been unbeatable but the powers got nerfed more than magic got nerfed in fantasy, its no longer a game winner now its just a nice diversion from movement and shooting.

Carnelian
24-10-2006, 08:52
The problem with the close combat Inquisitor is that they are strength and toughness 3, which is pretty lame against MEq