PDA

View Full Version : Following new race by FW discussion

leonmallett
14-10-2006, 07:02
Following Chem Dog's thread on what new races people would like to see if Forge World were to do them I thought a poll was in order. Please vote away, and don't be afraid to say why you voted a particular choice.

Tymell
14-10-2006, 07:15
I voted Hrud, primarily because they are, to me, the race with the most potential for expansion and new things. It wasn't anything in particular about Forge World. Demiurg in a close second. I feel the others don't have quite the same potential for new stuff, which is always good for me personally. I'm a new-things-whore by nature ;) Forge World also seem particularly good at capturing the essence of a model/race (take their Keeper of Secrets, for example) so I feel letting them loose on a whole new race, as opposed to one like Kroot or Vespid that's already largely been defined, could reap the best rewards.

That's just me of course, I'm sure there are many better arguments.

Darkseer
14-10-2006, 07:19
I voted Demiurg.

Bring back the Squats!

Wargamejunkie
14-10-2006, 07:26
I also Voted for Demiurg.

Being as we only have a couple on concept sketchesm FW would run rampant with their designs. Which is usually a good thing.

fattdex
14-10-2006, 07:39
I voted Enslavers- I assume this means space Fimir?

Brotherdraagor
14-10-2006, 07:42
I voted others, as I'd like to see Forge World do the Adeptus Mechanicus justice. Close second is Alien Hunters for pretty much the same reason. Guess I'm just an Imperial lover.

leonmallett
14-10-2006, 07:44
I voted others, as I'd like to see Forge World do the Adeptus Mechanicus justice. Close second is Alien Hunters for pretty much the same reason. Guess I'm just an Imperial lover.

I believe there are plans already for an Ad Mech army by FW, so you possibly have something to look forward to.

fattdex
14-10-2006, 07:45
Apparently they are doing admech with IA6 anyhow :P and they have already produced solomon lok who is a start towards ordo xenos.
EDIT: beat me by half a minute :)

Norminator
14-10-2006, 07:48
I voted other for Ad Mech. I know that they are going to make one but either way I'd have wanted them to do them.

Lancaster
14-10-2006, 07:54
I voted Demiurg.

Bring back the Squats!

This isn't anything personal, so please don't take offence, but I never understood why people rally around possibly the worst thought up race in 40k, even though they were one of the least popular armies in their prime...

Anyhow, I think enslavers would be cool. They had a signifigant role in 40K history as the race that finally defeated the Necrons (sort of). Also, I would think that it'd be a cheaper race to collect as you'd probably only need to buy HQ's and maybe a few elites from FW, the rest could be 'Looted' Infantry.

Shibboleth
14-10-2006, 08:10
I voted Tarellian Dog Soldiers, just because I think the others are popular enough to be done eventually anyway, oneday, but FW would have a clean slate to do something really great with the Dog Soldiers.

I'd also be interested in what their tech is like, since they sound like the kind of race to have loads of infantry, guns and possibly tanks (of some unique type), yet still be fairly primitive and barbaric.

ThorOdensson
14-10-2006, 08:11
I voted for a guard regiment, i want to see an ultramar regiment they're meant to provide a great amount of regiments but we never see anything on them so maybe a Macragge ###nd or Caith #th or somethin like that

viokni
14-10-2006, 08:16
I vote for a Megarachnid army :D :D . In the novels SM's were uber badass ****'s that were far more powerful than in the tabletop. A single Megarachnid could match the ones from the novels. It's schythes could easily slice through power armor. then there were the death trees o yes the death trees :)
(only people who read the horus heresy first book will understand)

Darkseer
14-10-2006, 08:36
This isn't anything personal, so please don't take offence, but I never understood why people rally around possibly the worst thought up race in 40k, even though they were one of the least popular armies in their prime...

This isn't anything personal either, but to put it simply, you're wrong.

The Squats were a fantastic race, but due to their low movement a lot of people overlooked them...except for one of my friend back in school.

His Squat army kicked some serious bottom! It had mobile and stationary elements much like the modern 4th edition armies and worked really well.

While his thunderes would be hosing down infantry with heavy bolter fire, his bikes, trikes and land raider would rush forward, targetting tanks with all sorts of melta weapons before his warlord and exo-armoured hearthguard jumped out of the land raider and hacked their way through whatever was left. He had a couple of Mole Mortars too.

El_Phen
14-10-2006, 11:30
I vote Dog Soldiers, I just want to see Werewolves in space. And don't tell me to look at Space Wolf marines. They aren't 'Doggy' enough. If not them then Squats. I loved 'em in Rogue Trader and I love them still.

Getz
14-10-2006, 11:56
I went for the Dog Soldiers too...

I've always found the idea of them somewhat appealling. Problem is, I don't see that they'd work out all that Different to Traitor Heaby LatD. Personally I'd love to see more "conventional" GEQ armies, but I doubt they'd get made as they would have a derivative playing style.

Minos Engele
14-10-2006, 12:10
I've never heard of the Dog Soldiers, could anyone tell what they exactly are?

I voted Hrud. They are space cockroaches am I correct? From what I heard from them they remind me of Ninjas :D. Lots and lots of cockroach ninjas, what could a guy want more!

More Xenos races is always fun.

Tymell
14-10-2006, 13:03
I'm half and half on the Squat issue. On the one hand, I do think they would be a nice race to have back in a very different form. As plain Squats they left a good bit to be desired. But I do think that as an army, they could fill a slot not really taken fully by the others. On the other hand there -is- a fairly strong amount of pure nostalgia sometimes when people ask for Squats back. ;)

Oh and I also agree with Minos that more xenos races is always fun :D They add more flavour to things for me. I guess I'm just a misanthrope at heart.

Anyway, I too would like to hear more of the Dog Soldiers. I can vaguely remember hearing the odd mention, but little more.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
14-10-2006, 13:13
I voted Guard regiment as i'd like to see justice done to the tanith first and only - but also to the blood pact, sons of sek, life wards, scratch companies, narmenian armour, vitrian dragoons, volpone bluebloods, zoicans and all the others......1 command group and two blisters of troopers does not an army make. Plus there is so much fluff....so much

leonmallett
14-10-2006, 13:27
I did vote Demiurg myself, but would want them to be different to the Squat bikers, although the Guilds idea could possibly work for them. My vote was based on the old concept piece of them that is floating around. Has much ben made of them in BFG?

Shibboleth
14-10-2006, 13:37
I've never heard of the Dog Soldiers, could anyone tell what they exactly are?
I think their only mention is in the 3rd edition rulebook, in the form of a side on head shot.
They look sort of like WFB lizardmen but with metal instead of bone armoured crest, with a laser sight attachment and a dog style collar.
Actually the line of their neck makes it look like they could be either hunched, like several other races, or even be four legged?
Which could explain the term dog-soldier...?
I don't know if there's any other info out there.

Matt_stanley75
14-10-2006, 13:40
I'd like to see them produce a warrior weapon style regiment, like a conversion kit for bret soldiers/knights, or another feral/feudal society.

GAWD
14-10-2006, 14:03
Hmm ... odd. ~20 percent voted for Exodites, but I'm the first to justify my vote.

Of the races listed, Exodites are the most realistically possible race for FW to do. They've already got gaming history, and they'd only need to release ~2 new units (Dragon Knights, command figure, & maybe a big monster or chariot thingee) and a new weapon/detail sprue for Guardians. Add to current Eldar line, and viola ... a new race.

All the other races, except Kroot (does anyone really care about these guys anymore?) and Guard (do we really need something else here too?), would require far more in the way of games development and/or a wider array of models.

Lord Humongous
14-10-2006, 14:04
As a follow up to thier traitor guard, how about a new "mutation sprue" that is better sized for producing (non-csm) mutants? It could also include a few arm sets with oddball weapons of the sort that might count as "firearms". I figure it would sell about as well as the traitor torsos, being potentially useful for producing LatD mutants, CSM conversions, slightly mutated traitor guard, and so on.

papabearparks
14-10-2006, 14:08
Does anyone know when the great unclean one is coming out for sale?

I'd like to see chaos nurgle with new troops.

Venomizer
14-10-2006, 15:00
I voted enslavers since I like the concept & think they would look pretty cool

what I really want from forgeworld though is a couple of more toys for the Necrons

Xisor
14-10-2006, 15:18
I voted Demiurg, but would not do so if it simply meant a revival of short bearded space dwarfs.

They can fill the Space Dwarf archetype, but if they were actually just dwarves, in space, then I'd be gutted.

The Demiurg, so far, look like a neat race for potential (a proper 'vampire counts' style army: ie an army with very few Vampire in it) with alot of mechanical contraptions, lots of robots/automatons/machinations etc. They'd be a nice spin on robots, which we don't have much of in 40k. We've got living machines (Necrons) and Cyborgs (Imperium), but we've only got Drones when it comes to proper robots.

Xisor

Achilles
14-10-2006, 15:26
I agree with Xisor... also, the things known about demuirg make em perfect for Forge World. Strange Tanks, Androids... all nicely done in forgeworld's lil' niche

Helicon_One
14-10-2006, 15:40
Exodites are a perfect example of an established army that GW will have trouble justifying a full codex release and plastics/metals for, but which could really be done justice as a forgeworld project. I suspect the main 40K studio want to keep their hands on Hrud, Demiurg and (maybe) Tarellians as a 'just in case' for the future, but Exodites.... c'mon, who doesn't want to see an army of crazy Eldar riding on dinosaurs...?

Tim

Seth the Dark
14-10-2006, 16:37
Eldar Exodites for me but I suppose a person could make an army that would combine Eldar with Wood Elves...

nanktank
14-10-2006, 23:58
Is there an official difference between demiurg and squats or are they one and the same?

Hellebore
15-10-2006, 00:43
Is there an official difference between demiurg and squats or are they one and the same?

Squats are mutant humans, whilst the Demiurg are actually an alien race.

They have yet to say any differently, and all the evidence points toward this.

Oh, and I voted for Demiurg, for all the reasons Xisor mentioned.

They could always release some Varingr...:angel:

Hellebore

Bregalad
15-10-2006, 09:55
I voted for Kroot, no surprise. But FW started doing Kroot in a perfect way and should go on.

For Mega-Arachnid-fans, I would suggest to look at the Starshiptrooper Bug minis, as they are perfect for that (although only 6 legs ;)).

Could we agree that a FW book: "Imperial Armour 7: Xeno Hunters" with a huge selection of Xeno races would be a good start?

BTW, I expected the option females :)

leonmallett
15-10-2006, 10:03
And that is exactly why i didn't put the option in Bregalad!;)

Sandlemad
15-10-2006, 11:11
I wavered for a while between demiurg and kroot but eventually went for the latter. Why?
Because, as Bregalad said, the kroot stuff that FW has done has been amazing. The knarloc cavalry are to my mind the best thing FW have done.
Of all the options (apart from the guard) this one would seem to me to be likely to work out the best, simply because we already know they have a good idea of how the kroot look and feel.
Really, I just want my chicken-folk to get some lovin'.:)

Also, I suspect that FW doing an army list for the kroot would make them somehow more acceptable and more of a 'real' army to average joe gamer than a CA list. Why this should be the case, I have no idea...:rolleyes:

inq.serge
15-10-2006, 11:26
Enslavers, then I can use my enslaver models!

AventineCrusader
15-10-2006, 11:38
I said Exodites. This is mainly because I have been in love with them since with them ever since I saw the entries in the 2nd ed. Eldar book. They would simply be so badass. Also, they would make great additions to the Exodite army I am planning to make with the new Codex:D ...

Crusader

lapis_lazuli
15-10-2006, 13:16
I'd love to see a full Tallarn range or, failing that, a new high-tech regiment along the lines of Elysians.

As for a new race - Tarellians would be most welcome, since almost any race could use them and they'd have a wide range of weapons and wargear.

Sephiroth
15-10-2006, 13:26
As for a new race - Tarellians would be most welcome, since almost any race could use them and they'd have a wide range of weapons and wargear.

Except the Imperium - on account of them blowing up a few Tarellian worlds during the Great Crusade, which they still haven't gotten over...

lapis_lazuli
15-10-2006, 14:28
Watch as I wriggle out of this one :D : by 'race' I meant 'species' - LatD and human renegades could use them.

Oh and presumably dog-soldiers, by their very nature, are unlike other Tarellians in that they don't care who they fight for as long as they get paid.

Phunting
15-10-2006, 20:04
I voted other. The armies I'd most like to see, and would collect are:

Ad Mech
Crone World Eldar
Harlequins
Genestealer Cult
Squats ( :p )
Chaos cultists
Some form of non-Imperial humans. Be they Tau mercs or others...