PDA

View Full Version : Shooting: 7+ to hit and re-rolls

T10
14-10-2006, 22:53
When making a shot that needs 7+ to hit, the procedure is that you first roll to hit normally (intial roll). Any 6's are rolled again (confirmation roll) and if they score a 4+, then it's a hit!

How would you resolve re-rolls to hit in this case?

A: Re-roll only the initial roll.

B: Re-roll both the intial roll and the confirmation roll.

C: Re-roll either the intial roll or the confirmation roll.

D: Treat the initial roll and confirmation roll as a single dice roll for re-rolling purposes. Roll to hit as normal with the inital and confirmation rolls. Any shots that failed to hit are rolled again with an intial and confirmation roll.

-T10

enyoss
14-10-2006, 23:11
I would say:

- see which hits are successful (i.e. which ones are successful on both dice)
- go over the to-hit procedure again for these rolls (i.e. roll an initial dice, if successful, roll the second dice).

So B out of your options seems most sensible to me.

Cheers,

enyoss

EvC
14-10-2006, 23:47
Treat it all as a single roll; it's supposed to be the same as rolling a D7, it's just they don't tend to get used. If someone told me that I could only re-roll the one of the two parts, I'd ask them if a D3 re-roll counts as half a re-roll and so let me do it twice...

Morgrin
15-10-2006, 00:22
Agreed, it should be treated as a single roll.

WLBjork
15-10-2006, 08:11
Treat it all as a single roll; it's supposed to be the same as rolling a D7, it's just they don't tend to get used. If someone told me that I could only re-roll the one of the two parts, I'd ask them if a D3 re-roll counts as half a re-roll and so let me do it twice...

It's not a D7, as the "to hit" chance for shooting goes as high as "9+".

The actual probabilities are:

7+ 1/12
8+ 1/18
9+ 1/36

Hence you should work out the "to hit" modifier before deciding on using the "multiple shot" ability.

As for the re-roll, it's reffered to as the "to hit roll", regardless of whether you need 2+ or 9+, thus I would consider it to be a single roll for all intents and purposes.

However, it becomes trickier if Portent of Far affects the shooting unit - should the second dice (confirmation dice) also be re-rolled if it's a 1?
I think it should, as that is how the spell effect is worded.

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2006, 11:30
I agree with EVC only if the 'to hit' rolls can be re-rolled. Since a 'to hit' roll for 7+ involves rolling dice twice then a 'reroll to hit' must include both dice being rerolled.
However if the rerolls are not specifically stated to be used for 'to hit' then only 1 dice should be rerolled as in Portent of Far ( Bjork's favourite query!:D )

Festus
15-10-2006, 16:23
Hi

D

enyoss
16-10-2006, 22:51
Sorry, just realised that I described situation D but then backed situation B... what a thicko! Option D is the one I'd go with :)

Cheers,

enyoss