PDA

View Full Version : Dual SLI 6600 GT Vs ATI X800XL

nick
29-06-2005, 22:27
Hi Guys,

I've got a tricky problem to solve and I'm really unsure which way to turn. I have to upgrade my system after the mainboard fried on me and I have selected everything, apart from the GPU to use. I'm currently deciding between these two http://www.quietpc.com/uk/components.php#graphics as I'm really fussy about how loud my system is.

I've hunted high and low for a review which attempts to compare these but nobody seems to have looked at this possiblity. I'm getting a SLI board anyway as even if i don't go with the Nvidia 6600's I'll drop in a crossfire card as soon as they appear (as long as they keep with their promise not to lock the driver to only crossfire boards).

Does anyone have any experience or idea which is a better choice?

Actually I've just found an article looking at this and these are the results... interesting :)

http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/geforce6600gt-sli/index.x?pg=4

Sorry for wasting time but I expect someone else will be interested.

Nick

Ravening Wh0re
30-06-2005, 00:50
I wanted a quiet pc, but I never knew my XFX 6600 GT SLi was so damned noisy :cries:

It was that huge fan on it, I suppose.....

nick
30-06-2005, 08:22
Would you recommend your dual 6600 to others?

Nick

Ravening Wh0re
30-06-2005, 09:07
In terms of power, it's nice.
But that fan! It's very noisy.
I wouldn't recommend it if someone wants something quieter, as I'm positive there are almost whisper quiet ones.
Teach me to get a "gamer" card. I should have known, since the card is dominated by that cooling fan.

I wonder what it sounds like in SLi mode........

nick
30-06-2005, 17:19
In that case the ATI will have to do for now ;)

I like the quiet...

Nick

alterion
01-07-2005, 11:58
yeh.. ati x800xl is the way to go nick.. much less niose.. in addition less power consumption .. you need a decent (i.e over 400W psu for sli) also this will be backwards compatible for ati@s crossfire . i love my x800xl.. great little card..

nick
01-07-2005, 19:11
yeh.. ati x800xl is the way to go nick.. much less niose.. in addition less power consumption .. you need a decent (i.e over 400W psu for sli) also this will be backwards compatible for ati@s crossfire . i love my x800xl.. great little card..
The X800 XL arrived today, shame I don't have the board yet. Argh! I knew I should have taken the day off to wait for it.

I'll report back when its all running (hopefully tomorrow when I get the other bits from amtrak).

Anyone got any thoughts on Windows X64? I was wondering about including it in my order but decided against it, was this a bad move?

Nick

alterion
02-07-2005, 14:35
dunno.. i don;t have it.. home has always been fine for me...

nick
02-07-2005, 17:53
Just to report, my machine is now up and running. I haven't really had time to test out the X800 but I hope to tonight.

Nick

Speed
03-07-2005, 15:42
I know this is abit late, but I'd thought I'd chip in my 2 pence. Basically SLI is a waste of money, the power increase does not justify the second card cost. They are good for benchmarks (3dmark etc) but real in game performance is increased very little. Your better off going with a single card like the X800/X850 which is what you did. :)

nick
03-07-2005, 16:53
I know this is abit late, but I'd thought I'd chip in my 2 pence. Basically SLI is a waste of money, the power increase does not justify the second card cost. They are good for benchmarks (3dmark etc) but real in game performance is increased very little. Your better off going with a single card like the X800/X850 which is what you did. :)
Yeah, I think the whole reason for getting SLI is to show off how cool a computer you have. (The same group who put windows in their cases and many coloured fans). Maybe they should do geforce's with coloured fans... now that would be cool :)

This is what you call true convergance, you don't need lights or heaters in your room, both tasks can be done by your pc. :evilgrin:

Nick

Heero-Severus
03-07-2005, 23:26
just to throw in my 2 pence aswell :)

Ive got the 6600gt that you were looking at, and id have to agree a single X800 is a better choice, but it all comes down to what games u play Hl2 is a definate ati game, Bf2+doom 3 nvidia. For the same price as x800 you can get 6800gts now.
i gotta thrown in aswell that im not sure what alterion means when he says the ati, has much less noise than the nvidia as they are both fanless and work on heatpipes :)

Sgt John Keel
03-07-2005, 23:51

Or he could have went for a quicksilver cooled X850... The Chinese, the Chinese.:rolleyes:

/Adrian

Ravening Wh0re
04-07-2005, 09:10

Not necessarily. You could buy a mid-range card at the present and it will serve you well for a little while. Then, later, you can buy another at a vastly reduced price as we know pc components do.
Some peeps just cannot afford the big outlay for a powerful card.
Only crazy rich power hungry people would buy 2 cards at the same time

WLBjork
04-07-2005, 17:16
What, you mean like the brand spanking new GeForce 7800GTX?

The tests for this card indicate that you need a top end processor to get the best out of it.

This (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=305748) thread has the link to some benchmarks - and the comment is "mummy"!

ATi need to pull something good out of the hat to compete this time...

Uriel
06-07-2005, 00:55

thats where your wrong.

You may think it's a waste of money now, but in the future, it's going to start a big role in computers. ATI has already started making an SLI based idea called crossfire, only difference is, the cards don't have to be the same, IE; x800 and x850. Anyways, SLI is a big increase in power if you like your games to be eye candy and so good to be true, in other words, an enthusiast. if you play under less graphicly stressed conditions, one card is fine.

back to the subject.

of course an x800 is going to out perform a 6600gt.
ATI's card are clocked higher then all nvidia cards right now, except the 7800gtx. ATI has some of the best cards out right now. But with a 600 dollar price tag on the x850PE, I'll pass. I'd rather get a nearly just as good 6800gt, for 120 dollars less.

BTW, get a 6800 gt, You'll be happier with it then an x800, and I think it's only a 50 dollar increase.

you can view it any way, it just depends who you are, I think SLI is neat, and wish I had the money to put it to work.

nick
06-07-2005, 08:02
Hi Uriel,

Some good points but I just wanted to give some feedback...

You may think it's a waste of money now, but in the future, it's going to start a big role in computers. ATI has already started making an SLI based idea called crossfire, only difference is, the cards don't have to be the same, IE; x800 and x850. Anyways, SLI is a big increase in power if you like your games to be eye candy and so good to be true, in other words, an enthusiast. if you play under less graphicly stressed conditions, one card is fine.
This is why I'm keeping my options open, there has been mixed previews some which say you need a crossfire board, other which don't so I might look at getting a second ATI board if that becomes a possibility. I already have a dual core processor so dual gpus seems a really cool idea.

Also, from what I've read the crossfire X800 board will be needed for most of that range, but if you have the X800 XL or a X850 board you'll need to get the X850 crossfire card or loose use of many pipelines on the slave card.

of course an x800 is going to out perform a 6600gt.
ATI's card are clocked higher then all nvidia cards right now, except the 7800gtx. ATI has some of the best cards out right now. But with a 600 dollar price tag on the x850PE, I'll pass. I'd rather get a nearly just as good 6800gt, for 120 dollars less.
ATI have priced the X800 at about the same level as the 6600GT in the uk which is the reason I have been comparing them, I know the 6600 should really be compared to the X700, but for me price is important.

BTW, get a 6800 gt, You'll be happier with it then an x800, and I think it's only a 50 dollar increase.
That extra put the card out of my price range and looking at how they did in benchmarks the X800 isn't far off although with a smaller feature set.

you can view it any way, it just depends who you are, I think SLI is neat, and wish I had the money to put it to work.
Yeah I think part of the reason for considering it was for pure geek factor of having two of everything in my machine :)

Nick

Starkey
12-07-2005, 14:10
also to let you know you will not be able to put 2 ati cards into a sli board, you need a crossfire board

Karloth Valois
12-07-2005, 15:53
What, you mean like the brand spanking new GeForce 7800GTX?

The tests for this card indicate that you need a top end processor to get the best out of it.

This (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=305748) thread has the link to some benchmarks - and the comment is "mummy"!

ATi need to pull something good out of the hat to compete this time...

Erm ATI will retaliate obviously, they're new card is just a month or three behind thats all, they've had it working for ages but keep re-taping it to get better yields on those R520 cores.

Early indications show the Fudo is going to be faster than the 7800GTX its just a question which of the the higher clocked GTX's in the pipeline and the most probably XT/PE/whatever version's of the R520 will be the fastest card.

nick
12-07-2005, 16:21
also to let you know you will not be able to put 2 ati cards into a sli board, you need a crossfire board
This has not been confirmed, some of my sources say that there is no on board silicon to allow SLI so in theory it should work. ATI have said different things recently so I'll wait and see. You never know, it would give them a larger user base if they didn't enforce that as all NForce4 SLI owners can use it as well. This said, I doubt people would get their SLI board if they weren't forced into it...

We will see...

Nick

Nukem
12-07-2005, 16:30
Has the full version of windows x64 come out yet? I got a free "demo" version of it when I upgraded my whole system from my friends work. Holy christ it was fast. The only problem was that I couldn't play any games on it... so since all my computer is used for is gaming it was not so good lol.

And I guess I'm in that group with a modded case ;) But it really isn't loud... maybe its because I'm tone deaf or the shear fact that my Stereo is louder then the fans. In either case nothing wrong with having a modded case hehe.

On another note I'm thinking of upgrading my Radeon 9800pro to the x800Pro.. which I believe to be the newest one... correct me if I'm wrong.. its early in the morning and I'm not a computer hardware guru :P

This is it if you need the specs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125135

Is it worth the upgrade?

nick
12-07-2005, 16:36
Has the full version of windows x64 come out yet? I got a free "demo" version of it when I upgraded my whole system from my friends work. Holy christ it was fast. The only problem was that I couldn't play any games on it... so since all my computer is used for is gaming it was not so good lol.
Windows x64 is out as an OEM version only. Its not a great choice for gaming as not much runs and you will have driver issues if you have anything unusual in your system. Games also don't seem to like dual cores as I've recently learnt! :cries:

Is it worth the upgrade?
I upgraded from a 9800 Pro to a X800 XL (much higher clock rate than the standard or Pro) and it made a huge difference, my 3dmark05 score doubled. This might have been less if I hadn't have upgraded cpu at the same time ;)

Nick

Nukem
12-07-2005, 16:44
Mmmm sounds like a plan lol. I will look into it then when I go down to Bestbuy today :D

My Radeon9800pro just isnt cutting it with the new games lol. Don't get me wrong its handling them pretty good, but not at the speed which I'm use to.

The one thing that I did like about the Windows x64 is just how fast things loaded.. it was scary fast lol.

Thanks for the advice :)

Colin

nick
12-07-2005, 18:54
I doubt it would be much different from a new install. Windows always seems to slow down once its been running for a while. That said, they stripped out all the 16 bit code so that might explain it. Finally windows has had a tidy up ;)

For reference, my new machine boots in about 15 seconds although that is only to the login prompt...

If its image quality your after get nvidia, ati arn't great at doing quality graphics and I see a few odd artifacts in battlefield 2.

Nick

Starkey
13-07-2005, 08:36
Ati are better in OpenGl (Doom 3) Nvidea are better in DirectX( HL2)

However the gap is slowly closing between them