Rare Units

Trolls
3 Trolls

Giant

Total: 1998

Tell me what you think of this magic heavy Orcs and Goblins Army

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2006, 10:57
1) 6 Units of infantry - great! 2 chariots, 3 Trolls and a Giant should provide some strong hitting power. Good army list.
2) I'm not sure about the equipment of your Great Shaman. He will have to join a unit to be sufficiently sheltered. I would suggest a Best Boss 'at and discard the boar and Horn.
3) Your magic defence is weak. Some scrolls and/or Mork's Spirit totem will help.
4) 16 Big uns is your smallest unit and an open invitation to enemy shooting and magic. Your best infantry unit will probably end up in a support charge role. 25 is a better size for Orc units.

onlainari
15-10-2006, 12:31
Nice list, should do well, unless you miscast.

Wolf_Pack
15-10-2006, 21:44
You are planning on running an army with a leadership 7 general ? That is bound to fail. You do healthy amount of troops, but no leadership to hold them in place.

I would drop the battle standard and make him the general, an 8 isn't very good, but it's that much better. Your trolls will stumble forward every other turn, and that's giving away some tactical advantage, and they might end up getting charged and torned. Again, you'll need higher leadership to babysit them.

Also, I see no shooting at all. Spear Chukkas are the greatest point for point bolt throwers in the game, so I would strongly recommend them.

Definitly a bigger unit of big 'uns as Deathless Draich suggested. Goblins have access to some nasty items, I would try some and also drop in some dispel scrolls.

To make these changes happen, you could simply drop a block of orcs, the spears on the goblins (I do not have faith in low initiative and weapon skill spears).

Think twice before taking the trolls to the board without a warboss.

brutalbarbarian
16-10-2006, 08:45
The general's the great shaman, who's ld 8. With the Horn of Urgok, which is a level 5 bound spell, the whole army will be running around with Ld 9, not ld 7

I've already got 2 units of spear night goblins from the Battle of Skulls Pass box. I'm not too sure about wasting all those models.

Although the idea of having at least some fire support sounds appealing, animosity and the Waaagh! spell kind of puts it off a bit.

brutalbarbarian
16-10-2006, 19:47
also, are big 'uns really worth the points? for the +4 points used to upgrade big 'uns, i could ether buy another spear goblin, or 2/3 of the costs of anotehr normal orc with choppa and shield.

woytek
16-10-2006, 21:12
Well in a 2000 points battle you will have enough points to make that unit big'uns, and when combined with a unit of black orcs and good use of your general and BSB (ON BOAR!) will make some nasty unbreakable-like center. Then you can spend points on those 174 pts. units of choppa shield lads!

Maybe they are a bit pricey, but they can certainly win you combat!

wingedserpant
19-10-2006, 14:58
Your orc units are too small. Perhaps getting rid of one to get more points to bump all of them up to 25 would work better[ including the big'uns;in fact them becoming 25 is a priority]. Scrap a shaman for another big boss.

druchii
19-10-2006, 15:47
Your orc units are too small. Perhaps getting rid of one to get more points to bump all of them up to 25 would work better[ including the big'uns;in fact them becoming 25 is a priority]. Scrap a shaman for another big boss.

I highly advocate getting some warmachines.

While your magic can be quite devastating, why not get something to deal with those big, mean, scary targets that your giant just can't lay his hands on? Let your mages focus on blasting rank and file stuff out of the sky, while your bolt throwers, stonethrowers, etc. Deal with the really intimidating stuff, like Knights, dragons, monsters, chosen, etc.

And while I understand that you're quite wary of "wasting" goblin models, don't you find that 20 is just too few for the little blighters? They way I see it is the only real thing goblins have going for them is their: magic, warmachines, fanatics, and numbers. I'd scrap one unit of 20, boost the other to 30 (keep the fanatics, so two in one unit) and save some points. Not much, but hopefully enough to try to bump your boyz up to 25ish models.

d

brutalbarbarian
21-10-2006, 06:14
Lords

Orc Great Shaman
Level 4 Wizard
Boar
The Horn of Urgok

Heros

Orc Big Boss
Standard Bearer

Night Goblin Shaman
Level 2 Wizard

Night Goblin Shaman
Level 2 Wizard

Core Units

Orc Boyz
25 Orcs with Choppas and Shield
Full Command

Orc Boyz
Full Command

Orc Boyz
Full Command

Big 'Uns Orc Boyz
17 Big 'Un with 2 choppas
Full Command

Night Goblins
35 Night Golbins with Spears & Shields
Full Command
2 Fanatics

Special Units

Orc Boar Chariot

Orc Boar Chariot

Rare Units

Trolls
3 Trolls

Giant

Knocked up the orc units a bit and merged the two night goblin units together. Also got rid of the bannar in the big 'uns unit. Still not big fan of war machines, despite of their advantages, so kept them out.

Any comments are welcome.

Melchiah
21-10-2006, 07:43
So why are you taking an orc hero standard bearer and not give him some magical backbone in the form of a wavie banner-like-thingie? Posibly magical.