PDA

View Full Version : Casting Spells in Combat

Azazel
15-10-2006, 17:24
Yo! I'm having trouble finding out if Wizards can cast Spells while they're in Close Combat.

I'm pretty certain that Magic Missiles can't be cast when the Wizard is in Combat... But where in the rule book will I find details of the Wizards line of sight, and spells that can be cast while in a Combat?

DeathlessDraich
15-10-2006, 17:54
pg107 - Casting Spells
pg110 - Magic missiles

MM and spells requiring LOs cannot be cast while the wizards are in combat. Other spells can.

NakedFisherman
15-10-2006, 18:23
MM and spells requiring LOs cannot be cast while the wizards are in combat. Other spells can.

Spells requiring LOS can be cast. They simply need LOS, which tends to be very limited in combat.

Azazel
15-10-2006, 22:33
pg107 - Casting Spells
pg110 - Magic missiles

Sweet. Thanks.

EDIT: Hold up. Theres a line of page 107 thats got me a bit stumped.

Wizards cannot cast spells at units engaged in close combat, unless the spell only affects the caster himself or the spell's description specifies otherwise.

So Wizards can't cast spells in combat unless they target themselves? Spells like Bears Anger and Flaming Sword of Ruin only?

What I really want to know is if my Daemon Prince can cast Drain Life and Steal Soul while in close combat.

The Spells say they can be cast at units in close combat, but can he cast it while he's in close combat? :p

Toddums
16-10-2006, 01:47
I believe he can

NakedFisherman
16-10-2006, 01:51
The Spells say they can be cast at units in close combat, but can he cast it while he's in close combat? :p

Yes. His targets may be limited if the spells require line of sight, though. He can only see the unit(s) he's engaged with, for the most part.

Avian
16-10-2006, 10:39
So Wizards can't cast spells in combat unless they target themselves?
No, no, no.
The limiting factor is what the target unit is doing, not what you yourself are doing*. It is what you cast the spell at that is important.

* except with magic missiles, where it also matters what the caster is doing.

Crispus
16-10-2006, 13:31
Hmm...Does this mean that if a mage is placed corner-to-corner to the edge of an enemy unit then he still has LOS to other units, altough his arc of sight is a bit reduced by the unit he is fighting?

DeathlessDraich
16-10-2006, 13:36
Taking a more certain case - a unit charged in the rear only, with the wizard in the front rank.
Magic missiles still cannot be cast by the wizard - from the MM rules
but I suppose LOS which are not MM can, unless the spell specifically restricts this.

Avian
16-10-2006, 13:37
You don't stop seeing things if you are in combat, though usually most of your vision is blocked by the unit you are fighting. If you are only barely touching an enemy model and have most of your frontage uncovered you could still see a few enemy units and it is even possible that your wizard is not in combat with anything himself (if his unit fighting a very small enemy unit, for example), in which case his arc of sight would hardly be impaired at all.

Taking a more certain case - a unit charged in the rear only, with the wizard in the front rank.
Magic missiles still cannot be cast by the wizard - from the MM rules
but I suppose LOS which are not MM can, unless the spell specifically restricts this.
Sure. How could an enemy unit fighting on the other side of your unit block your line of sight?