PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Anvil of Doom 2000

HolySanguinius
16-10-2006, 07:06
This is a army based on the Anvil of Doom. Wanted to see what you guys think.

LORDS
Rune lord 358 points
Anvil of doom
Shield
Rune of stone
Rune of preservation
1x Rune of spell breaking

HEROS

Anvil of doom

Thane 195 pts
BSB
Ro Fear

CORE
20 Warriors 195 pts
Shield
SB and Musician

20 Warriors 195 pts
Shield
SB and Musician

10 Rangers 130pts

Long beards

Shields

19 Long beards 278pts
Shields
SB w/Ro Stoicism Musician, and Veteran

10 Quarrelers 120
Shields

SPECIAL

Bolt Thrower 85pts
Engineer
Ro Penetrating

Bolt Thrower 90pts
Engineer
Ro Penetrating
Ro Burning

Grudge Thrower 105pts
Ro Accuracy

15 Hammerers 242pts
Musician, SB w/Ro Courage

Total 1998

7 Dispel Dice

109 models

c&c appreciated

WLBjork
16-10-2006, 16:21
Runelord is too cheap, BSB and Hammerers are too expensive.

Rangers MUST have Great Weapons.

Once you've recalculated and re-organised, what is your basic plan?

Cloud Strife
16-10-2006, 16:30
while i can see the plan with the BSB and the Longbeards, I'm not too sure on it, and I think you would be better off sticking Strollaz's Rune on the BSB as you don't really have that much shooting to worry about blocking off and Strollaz reduces the distance and with the Anvil you're only 12" away if you want to be.

this one is a personal opinion, but I tend to find it works well would be to possibly drop the Rangers as they might not always get to scout properly and are not that effective in combat, and take some Miners instead as with the Anvil you can get them to charge missile units and warmachines when they arrive on the board on turn 2 hopefully (recommend steam drill ;) )

the only other thing that I have seen people put to good use with an Anvil is Gyrocopters as it allows you to pin units in place so that they can't flee when you charge a combat unit into them with the Anvil.

der_lex
16-10-2006, 16:39
(all the following is from my experience playing AGAINSt Dwarves)

If you want to use the Anvil to get things in CC asap, Strollaz Rune is very good On that same note, you don't want to take too much in terms of shooting or war machines, since they'll be useless by the 2nd or turn or so.

My regular dwarf opponent actually has no war machines and only one ranger unit as shooters in his 'Dwarven Anvil Assault Force'. The rest of his points go to big hitty units like ironbreakers, hammerers and longbeards. It's a very, very hard army to beat.

HolySanguinius
16-10-2006, 20:20
LORDS
Rune lord 363 points
Anvil of doom
Shield
Rune of stone
Rune of preservation
1x Rune of spell breaking

HEROS

Anvil of doom

Thane 160 pts
BSB
Mro Gromril
Mro Spite

CORE
20 Warriors 195 pts
Shield
SB and Musician

20 Warriors 195 pts
Shield
SB and Musician

19 Long beards 253pts
Shields
SB, Musician, Veteran

10 Quarrelers 120
Shields

SPECIAL

Bolt Thrower 85pts
Engineer
Ro Penetrating

Bolt Thrower 90pts
Engineer
Ro Penetrating
Ro Burning

Grudge Thrower 105pts
Ro Accuracy

15 Hammerers 243pts
Musician, SB w/Ro Courage

10 Miners 145pts
Prospector
Steam drill

Total 1954

7 Dispel Dice

109 models

Should be ok now.

The tactic is largely defensive with this army.The anvil can be used to shoot/make a unit sprint when it is needed. I have enough shooting to force the enemy to me, and enough combat power to tie them down.

The only thing stopping me using a gyrocopter is the fact it is steam operated. The War of the Beard era doesnt have things like that so unfortunately it is out. Unless anyone has any ideas on converting a dwarf to ride a dragon?

If i was to go offensive, even assuming I hit ancient power, only D3 units can move again, leaving them isolated.

If I was to drop some shooting for say some slayers to hold a flank in a offensive army, what would it be? The other option i thought would be a thane of pain with Mro Challenge, increasing the tactical options with my dwarfs.

If i dropped all shooting i would go with strollaz, another thane, another unit of miners and some slayers probably.
'
Comments?