PDA

View Full Version : scraped this together (2000pts)

ss_cherubael
16-10-2006, 07:09
Hero's

Black Ork Big Boss
heavy armour
shield
martogs best basha
warboss umm's best boss at
@136pts

Night Goblin Shaman
lvl 2
mad cap mushrooms
power stone
@130

Night Goblin Shaman
lvl 2
staff of baduumm
magic mushrooms
@135

CORE

10 SPider Riders
short bows
full command
@170

10 spider riders
short bows
full command
@170

20 night goblins
spears
full command
nets
3 fanatics
@210

20 night goblins
spears
full command
nets
@135

20 night goblins
spears
full command
nets
@135

20 night goblins
bows
full command
nets
@115

10 Orc Arrer boyz
full command
@90

20 Orc Boyz
Big uns
additional choppa
full command
Noggs banner of butchery
@275

13 orc boyz
additional choppa
full command
@121

Special

2 night goblin squig herds @60

Rare

2 trolls
stone trolls
@120

list comes to 2002pts
what do you think? it wasnt a planned army its just all the ork and goblin stuff i have around the place and i thought why not i may as well put em together for some fun. do u think i should upgrade the black ork to a lord choice and drop soemthing else? any other suggestions are welcome (PS what i have here is what i have, and im willing to spend a bit of money but not much on these guys)

woytek
16-10-2006, 12:39
Why don't you take a warboss? You can use the extra leadership. Also the unit of 13 orcs is a waste of points, lose them. Also I find trolls to expensive since they usually just drewl and won't fight.

Fast cav can be split up in units of five and make sure to dump the standard in the spider riders, you don't want to give away victory points do you?

Please make the goblin units atleast 30 big and the orc units atleast 24 big, so that you can take some casualties and outnumber.

ss_cherubael
16-10-2006, 14:12
thanks mate
i have never played green skins so that helps and as i said i scraped it together this arvo

woytek
16-10-2006, 14:50
Well orcs don't usually deal that much damage (unless you design some nice units) so you will need to outnumber and survive. I always find blocks of 24 or 30 nice because you won't panic that fast and can still keep the unit strenght up after some shooting.

The doom diver is a really good choice since it's a very reliable machine that deals nice damage to high cost units (d6 strenght 5 no armour save!).

Gobbo's I don't like much but take them for the fanatics like I will (battle for skull pass box got nice gobbo's).

Furthermore I like to go non-magic meaning you take a lvl 1 night goblin shaman to put in the night goblin unit (make that one big!) and for example give him only lvl 1, a dispel scroll and madcap mushrooms. That way you can reroll your fanatic hits to make sure they will destroy that unit they enter.

If you have a warboss and a BSB then your boyz won't run that fast and taking a black orc will make sure your units are more reliable. Any black orc units will automatically move D6" forward if you call out your waaagh so placing your general in a unit of normal orcs would be nice, since both units will auto move.

jahorin
16-10-2006, 16:34
if possible i would beef up your unit of goblins. i never go under blocks of 36 gobbos. yet i haven't played any games with the new set of rules.

samw
16-10-2006, 17:34
Keep the trolls seperate and use them as cheap diverters, I've been told they're very good in this regard.

woytek
16-10-2006, 18:05
Then use maybe one troll, not more else they're waaaaay too expensive for diverting.

Also forgot to mention that for ant-magic you should take mork's spirit totem, a no brainer if you ask me.

ss_cherubael
17-10-2006, 02:07
i wanted to try out a magic heavy army and i might even replae a gobbo shaman with a savage orc one or a normal one.
The last night goblin unit with spears will be split to make the other units 30 each and the 13 orc boyz will be up with the rest of the big uns.
I will get round to making the boss a warboss, (black orc?).
The trolls i want together to do the most damage when they get into combat hence them being stone trolls they can take it and dish it out pretty well if they pass their stupidity test.............
How good are snotling pump wagons as a rare choice? if not them i will try to get my hands on a doom diver and i need to fork out 44 bucks to get some more fanatics.
Is it worth giving the other shaman mad cap mushrooms for the fanatics and have him in the unit? or could he stay behind the unit and cast helpful spells on them or flank and mess with other skirmishers?????
the spider riders are staying in blocks of ten and are keeping the standard, they need the out numbering (unit strength of 20) and the standard to win combats, i have used this unit extensivley and they need the weight of numbers and any other bonuses they can get to win combats.
As for the BSB i think that can stay out unless i dont take the warboss and just keep him a hero choice? but i think the magic items he can take and the added LD is worth making him a lord?
thanks for the replies and advice!

woytek
17-10-2006, 07:54
i wanted to try out a magic heavy army and i might even replace a gobbo shaman with a savage orc one or a normal one.
The last night goblin unit with spears will be split to make the other units 30 each and the 13 orc boyz will be up with the rest of the big uns.
I will get round to making the boss a warboss, (black orc?).
Sounds good indeed, a warboss is certainly worth it, there aren't many armies that can field such a combat monster for the points. Black orc warbosses/big bosses are slightly thougher since they can wear heavy armour and got a WS more. Make sure you place them on a boar even in infantry units! They can also quell animosity but make sure you can cope with the deaths.

The trolls i want together to do the most damage when they get into combat hence them being stone trolls they can take it and dish it out pretty well if they pass their stupidity test.............
Well if they get in combat yes, I never had good experience with them, and still find them a bit expensive.

How good are snotling pump wagons as a rare choice? if not them i will try to get my hands on a doom diver and i need to fork out 44 bucks to get some more fanatics.
Well two pumpwagons for 80 points is a nice deal if you can get them charging. They deal 2D6 strenght 4 hits, not too shabby for 40 points. But their movement is very random so don't take them as a reliable flanker or anything. The doom diver on the other hand is very reliable, and is very good against heavy cavalry.

Is it worth giving the other shaman mad cap mushrooms for the fanatics and have him in the unit? or could he stay behind the unit and cast helpful spells on them or flank and mess with other skirmishers?????
Hmmm since you can't hide your characters next to units I tend to place them inside units, but just make sure he survives. Madcap mushrooms is imo a nice item, but he must be in the NG unit...

The spider riders are staying in blocks of ten and are keeping the standard, they need the out numbering (unit strength of 20) and the standard to win combats, i have used this unit extensivley and they need the weight of numbers and any other bonuses they can get to win combats.
But you are going to use them as cavalry instead of light cavalry right? Hmm I have no experience with the buggers but do they really win combats? The only nice part is the poison attacks and move through difficult/impassable terrain. That last feature makes them perfect flankers but since you gave them a banner make sure you win combat, goblin light cavalry isn't the thoughest of cav.

As for the BSB i think that can stay out unless i dont take the warboss and just keep him a hero choice? but i think the magic items he can take and the added LD is worth making him a lord?
thanks for the replies and advice!
Well take either a warboss or a great shaman so that you really are magic heavy. There is no point not taking the lord choice right?

If you go with magic make sure you pick some items that benefit things like general power dice, since shamans can no longer share power dice. Staff of sneaky stealing(edit: sorry it just gives you dispel dice, my bad) is very nice and so is idol of mork if used right. Also make sure to take the two bound spells, eadbut and horn of urgok since that will increase the chance of pulling of spells or maybe the bound item itself which is nice. You can easily kill wizards with eadbut and -1 LD +1 LD is always to good to be true.

Magic mushrooms I don't quite like because of the miscast on a single 1 on the dice.. Skull wand of kaloth in combination with Waaagh! paint would be very nice but I don't think it will do anything serious. Imagine archaon dying from a savage shaman!

ss_cherubael
17-10-2006, 09:32
thanks for that