PDA

View Full Version : The Legio Cybernetica

Voronwe[MQ]
16-10-2006, 19:06
Okey, everything you know about it. I am interested in this aspect of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Puffin Magician
16-10-2006, 19:39
They are the sect of the AdMech that deals exclusively with Robots. The Cybernetical Collegia deals with all sorts of robotics, wet-, and dry-ware implants and such, so they've got the monopoly of what remains of the old Robot classes; Castellan, Crusader, Colossus, Cataphract and Conqueror [which you can see here (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2025smrobots-m.htm)].

Due to the very nature of Servitors and Praetoria, they likely deal with them also. "Construction", implantation, repairs as well as command [in the case of Robots especially].

I find it likely that they are carefully watched by the Inquisition and possibly other members within the Adeptus Mechanicus hierarchy, due to the fact that 50% [or greater] of the Legio defected during the Horus Heresy.

Voronwe[MQ]
16-10-2006, 19:45
I presumed once that Skitarii was part of them too, though Mechanicus told me they weren't.

Shibboleth
16-10-2006, 19:48
This link has an article from WD104 that describes the Legio Cybernetica:
http://exodite.home.comcast.net/sub_wh40k_chapter_approved.html

It's about a third of the way down the page, titled 'Imperial Robots'.
It starts with a bit of fiction then get's on to the descriptive stuff, though it may be a bit dated.

Voronwe[MQ]
16-10-2006, 19:50
It is still valuable. Thank you.

Puffin Magician
16-10-2006, 19:52
I presumed once that Skitarii was part of them too...Despite the fact that most, if not all, Skitarii likely have some sort of cybernetic implants, they're too minor to be overseen by the relatively tiny Legio Cybernetica. The L.C. specialize in robotics and cybernetic interfacing.

The Skitarii are simply the line troops of the Mechanicus army.

harlequin21
16-10-2006, 20:16
does any1 have a link to a skitarri army list on hand cause the idea is pretty cool, found an older one by tim hucklebury but wasn't as good as i thought it could've been

malika
16-10-2006, 21:30
In the older fluff the Desert Lions and the Red Scorpions chapters had good bonds with the Legio Cybernetica.

Norminator
16-10-2006, 21:49
How robotic are the Legio Cybernetica robots though? I was under the impression that all AIs (other than animalistic ones like machine spirits) had been out lawed since the Iron Men rebellion?

malika
16-10-2006, 22:20
They needed an Adeptus Mechanicus controller, so I doubt there would be self awareness and independent thought.

Puffin Magician
16-10-2006, 22:22
They're, well, fully robotic. No Servitor weirdness or anything - they are Robots. Yes, Humanity learned a bit of a lesson with the Iron Men, so Legio Cybernetica Robots are rather stupid. That's why, in every fluff reference to them, they are said to be pre-programmed by a Legio Adept that accompanies them to battle. Presumably, they are limited to simple instructions like "Walk in that direction" or "Shoot that tank" [indeed, some have been used as walking targets in order for their allies to pinpoint enemy gun emplacements], and damaged Robots are typically destroyed via self-destruct mechanism just in case they decide to flail their arms around and attack humankind.

operon
16-10-2006, 23:03
Actually, in the old 1st edition Warhammer 40K Compendium, the rules for robots included cut-out program counters that worked a bit like flowcharts. So, you could construct programs for your robots along the lines of...

Nearest enemy within 24"?
=> If YES: Open fire on them
=> If NO:
==> Under fire in last turn?
====> If YES: ...

etc. etc.

The more points you spent on the robot's processor, the more counters you got to build your program out of, thus the more elaborate its behaviour could become. So they had crude decision-making capabilities but not independently-operating sentience.

I thought it was a very groovy system, but they dropped it in 2nd Ed. I think, probably because it was a bit beyond most 12-year-olds.

I still have a Castellan-class robot somewhere, not sure what I could field it as these days. Bit small for a Dread but too big for a Termie. Still, the old Dreads were about the same size as robots so maybe it could be Venerable #2 in a Heed The Wisdom force.

Andrew.

Puffin Magician
17-10-2006, 01:43
the rules for Robots included cut-out program counters that worked a bit like flowcharts...I remember reading about those, but still... they were little more than a walking Tarantula operated by Visual Basic. I would've really liked playing around with them, shame I only started after they dropped the idea.

I still have a Castellan-class robot somewhere, not sure what I could field it as these days.I once toyed with the idea of using the Feral Ogryn Doctrine and make an army of multiwound buggers along with various Sentinel types - representing each class of Robot.

Conquerors & Cataphracts = Shooty = Sentinels [incl. FW Rocket/Missile types] w/ H/K Missile
Castellans = Punchy = Feral Ogryns.
Crusaders = Slashy = Powerlifter Sentinels
Colossus = Punchy & a bit of shooty = Ogryns w/ Ripper Guns.

HQs and other "fleshy" squads being the Legio Cybernetica tech adepts and whatever else.

Hellebore
17-10-2006, 02:23
I've converted up praetorian servitors with the legs of a sentinel and the torso of ogryns (the heads from the =][= scale arco flagellants are awsome for the conversion) and just use them as sentinels.

Look pretty cool.

Hellebore

Commissar Rowe
17-10-2006, 15:16
does any1 have a link to a skitarri army list on hand cause the idea is pretty cool, found an older one by tim hucklebury but wasn't as good as i thought it could've been

I saw one that used a near standard IG list, but tailored it's doctrines to more suit an Ad-mech theme...

Voronwe[MQ]
17-10-2006, 15:19
There is even an Skitarii themed doctrine system proposion on games-workshop.co.uk, on the Imperial Guard section.

VanHel
10-05-2007, 03:17
Anyone know where I could possibly get some rules for using robots?

Mr Zephy
10-05-2007, 17:25
I thought about doing a Legio Cybernetica army using tyrranid rules: Synapse represents order broadcast range, equivalent weapons would be used, and the hive tyrant would have a Admech guy piloting it.

Kandarin
14-05-2007, 23:54
I find it likely that they are carefully watched by the Inquisition and possibly other members within the Adeptus Mechanicus hierarchy, due to the fact that 50% [or greater] of the Legio defected during the Horus Heresy.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the Legio members that defected? Did they manage to escape to the Eye to spend eternity building Daemonbots, or did the Imperium wipe them out?

Mechanicus
15-05-2007, 15:53
I believe (but I'm not certain) that they escaped to the Eye.