PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Lancaster
17-10-2006, 06:52
I've seen variants of the land speeder that look like this (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/painting/pre_heresy/popup.htm?images/WE_flume_b.jpg) before, but have no clue what they are, they aren't tempest, tornado, standard or typhoon, can someone enlighten me?

Clang
17-10-2006, 07:02
That's the old metal model. Not sure that they actually had the Tempest, Tornado etc variants back then.

Brimstone
17-10-2006, 07:20
That's the second version of the Landspeeder, very nice and better looking than the current one IMO, the only problem with it was that it was too heavy for the flying base (all metal). The Dark Angel/Ravenwing version was especially nice. And there were no 'types' just one with various weapon options.

You can see the first version of the Landspeeder here. (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2023smlandspeeders-h.htm)

Griffin
17-10-2006, 07:38
With those red things it looks sort of eldarish.

chromedog
17-10-2006, 07:49
Yup, that's the landspeeder v2.0 as others have noted. It became the 'ravenwing' speeder model eventually becoming the tornado (a) variant. I have one of these and of the version 1.0 models in my marine army.

El_Phen
17-10-2006, 08:44
It's the best version of the Landspeeder invented, that's what it is. I loved the first edition version but the second ed. one was much more substantial. But that was back in the days when multi-meltas had a) a decent range and b) a blast template as well as kick ass armour splatting cababilities and the heavy flamer template was huge! Ah memories...

NaT
17-10-2006, 08:47
That.. That is awesome! IMO it needs some side armor tho.

If i could get my hands on some, i would use them for sure.

Tarquinn
17-10-2006, 08:59
The Dark Angel/Ravenwing version was especially nice. And there were no 'types' just one with various weapon options.

Yep, and that's the one linked in the first post.

The "vanilla" Land Speeder was armed with a multimelter and a heavy flamer.

And I agree that the 2nd Ed. Land Speeder looked much better than the current "bumper car" one.

chromedog
17-10-2006, 09:01
I found mine second hand at a convention. Someone who thought that the new speeders looked more marine-y? These guys have been fighting a war for 10,000 years, with mostly 10,000 yo hardware. Antique stuff is more fitting. It's a heavy piece, though. It took some thought to come up with a flying base that wasn't top heavy.

LarryS
17-10-2006, 15:18
It was also first on my list of "hardest models to assemble" on an older topic.

th0r
17-10-2006, 15:22
Why does everyone hate the current land speeder? I own four and think they look rather cool, although I convert mine so both weapons are underslung.

Mahes
17-10-2006, 15:23
That brings back some very happy memories, of Marine/Imperial Guard jetbikes, robots and squats....heady days!

El_Phen
17-10-2006, 15:56
Thudd Guns and Tarantula's anyone?

Flame Boy
17-10-2006, 18:27
I'm in agreement with the camp that the mk2 landspeeder pictured was a fine model, but it was evil to assemble, and ate flying bases for breakfast. Oh, the pain of trying to repair a flying base to make the model sit on it again...

Brimstone
17-10-2006, 18:48
Yep, and that's the one linked in the first post.

I'm afraid while it's got the same weapons fit it isn't the Dark Angels version.

Two things make that clear A) The heavy bolter is a plastic version and the wrong type and B) The DA one had a Winged statue on the front.

You can see it here. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110101248&orignav=301117)

Chem-Dog
17-10-2006, 20:51
Yeah, the older models seem to have been made "pre-heresy" now.

Fredox
17-10-2006, 22:12
I got 6 landspeeders for my Ravenwing. 3 old and 3 new but given the choice I field the older models. Same with my Deathwing all metal (at least untill the new ones come out). Most of the younger croud at the club seem to prefer the old models to. Strange when you think they started playing after the new model was released.

Deviant
17-10-2006, 23:26
It was also first on my list of "hardest models to assemble" on an older topic.

i had one once (no idea where it is now), when i got it it was amazing, three hours later it was only half made and i'd spent half an hour trying to remove 'thimbles' made of superglue from my fingers before i carried on.

Tarquinn
18-10-2006, 10:21
I'm afraid while it's got the same weapons fit it isn't the Dark Angels version.

Two things make that clear A) The heavy bolter is a plastic version and the wrong type and B) The DA one had a Winged statue on the front.

You can see it here. (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110101248&orignav=301117)

I stand corrected. It is a conversion. I was just paying attention to the weapons.

Sorry about that mistake. :)