PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Gauntlet of the Duel

ewar
17-10-2006, 10:37
Hi all,
This is probably a no brainer, but when I wrote out my Bret tourney list I took the gauntlet for my Duke without thinking as I love fighting challenges. I say without thinking, because I just assumed that he could use it to force specific enemy characters into the challenge. When I used it in a game though, my opponent dodged his vampire out of the way by accepting with a Wight champ - reading the rules I couldn't argue with his interpretation.

Gautlet - challenge may not be refused
BRB - challenge is issued and may be accepted by AN enemy character (paraphrasing)

The VC player said, rightly, that he wasn't declining the challenge and that the gauntlet didn't specify that you can target individuals.

What do people think? It renders the gautlet fairly pointless in my eyes now, as you're still back to the same situation where champs accept on behalf of the cowards.

yours in disappointment,
ewar

Reinhard
17-10-2006, 11:06
Well, it's one of the cheapest items in the game. What do you expect? It has it's uses, but if you could deside who has to accept the chalange it had to be much more expensive.

Asq_Dak
17-10-2006, 11:58
still, with virtue of confidence it racks up a lot of combat res on lowly champion...

Jedi152
17-10-2006, 12:02
Yes, you can't challenge a particular character, you just issue a general challenge - it doesn't matter who accepts it.

Just remember when you get pitted against a lowly champion you can get more overkill bonus - so it can be advantagous to fight them.

ewar
17-10-2006, 12:15
Hehe, I knew it was too good to be true. Its just not very chivalric to rack up combat res on a crappy champion - bring me the head of the blood dragon lord any day! You can't beat a good challenge for a game turning moment... especially if the other guy costs twice as much!

Alathir
17-10-2006, 12:39
Well, doesn't a challenge have to be issued to a certain character, and then it can be accepted by a champion? So, wouldnt the player with the gauntlet issue a challenge to an enemy character, and because of the gauntlet, they have to accept?

Thats how I see it. I could be wrong.

NakedFisherman
17-10-2006, 13:01
Well, doesn't a challenge have to be issued to a certain character, and then it can be accepted by a champion? So, wouldnt the player with the gauntlet issue a challenge to an enemy character, and because of the gauntlet, they have to accept?

Thats how I see it. I could be wrong.

No, a challenge is issued and anyone allowed to accept may accept.

Kotobuki
17-10-2006, 13:44
Yep, any character model in the unit, and already fighting may accept a challenge. The challenger gets not choice in who he fights.

In the vampire example, unless the enemy Vampire was a Blood Dragon, he was well within his rights to put a Wight in front of your Lord.

Jedi152
17-10-2006, 13:46
Well, doesn't a challenge have to be issued to a certain character, and then it can be accepted by a champion?
Nope. See my answer in post # 4.

Alathir
17-10-2006, 14:47
Sigh

looks like its hari kiri for me again.

EvC
17-10-2006, 18:06
Well just think, how fair would it be if you charge a unit with a level 4 wizard in it, then challenge him with your general? He would be forced to step forward and get his ass kicked according to your rules...

Alathir
18-10-2006, 05:54
I wasnt complaining... I agree with you.

T10
18-10-2006, 07:19
A Bretonnian Lord on a Pegasus, armed with the Questing Sword, The Gauntlet of having the Virtue of um... Confidence? Tends to make short work of most characters.

-T10

ZomboCom
19-10-2006, 02:51
Hehe, I knew it was too good to be true. Its just not very chivalric to rack up combat res on a crappy champion - bring me the head of the blood dragon lord any day! You can't beat a good challenge for a game turning moment... especially if the other guy costs twice as much!

Hmm, if it was a blood dragon then he did cheat you. The blood dragons with the highest leadership in a combat must always accept challenges.

samw
19-10-2006, 03:21
I would point out that an item fitting your version of the rules does exist, it's bindings of slaanesh and about 50pts IIRC.

EvC
19-10-2006, 10:59
I wasnt complaining... I agree with you.

I wasn't saying you were complaining, although I had slightly mis-read your post... so never mind! :)