PDA

View Full Version : Industrial music

Fugazi
17-03-2005, 23:52
I asked Malakai about this at #portent IRC

Anyway, I listen mostly to punk and hardcore, as if you couldn't tell by my username. As far as industrial goes, I haven't listened to much. Does Trent Reznor count?

Anyway, Malakai suggested the following:
Velvet Acid Christ
Wumpscut
Das Ich
Cradle of Filth

Anybody have any other recommendations?

piotrov
18-03-2005, 02:28
Some personal faves (flipping through my CD binder):
-Cubanate
-Front 242
-Gravity Kills (more dancey, think Nine Inch Nails)
-Killing Joke
-KMFDM
-Ministry (Highest Possible Recommendation!)
-My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult (also dancey, but the best "Industrial Dance" band, IMO)
-Nitzer Ebb
-Sister Machine Gun
-Skinny Puppy

Are you looking for more dark, gothic industrial or industrial dance? Maybe just aggro-noise type stuff?

I wouldn't really call Cradle of Filth Industrial. They're more screechy Goth metal. I do have a couple of their CDs; they're fairly entertaining....

New Cult King
18-03-2005, 02:32
Trent is probably considered pop-industrial, but that shouldn't detract from his music at all - I love it.

You may want to check out La Syndicat, I think it is... I have been told it is considered Power Noise, but whatever the genre, it's good stuff. Less electronica, more music constructed from chaotic sounds. Very cool.

The Undying
18-03-2005, 02:56
Check out Fear Factory, the very best in Industrial. Also, Static-X is sometimes considered Industrial and their pretty good.
Also, Crossbreed is Techno-Rock but that genre is a lot like Industrial.

And by your name I couldn't tell you were into punk.

Tenoch
18-03-2005, 06:54
Also check out Evereve and White Zombie

Kittah
18-03-2005, 06:58
Seeing as Industrial music seems to be a staple of most Portenters' lives in the past, and the discussion of which was a fun pastime for many members under the old Portent, woohoo for Industrial discussion!

Yeah, don't forget Rammstein

Hywel
18-03-2005, 10:46
Oldies are goodies - so check out Godflesh.

Fugazi
18-03-2005, 23:43
Excellent. Thanks guys.

Looks like I've got a few things to downl--*cough*...ahem...buy...yes, a few things to...buy

Cacodemon
19-03-2005, 00:36
Indeed oldies are goldies, so I strongly recommend Laibach with their album from few years back, 'WAT'. They do both german and english lyrics. It was written in a magazine here in Finland that "who needs Rammstein when you've got Laibach?" And all I can tell you is that it's just that good!

arxhon
21-03-2005, 14:19
And by your name I couldn't tell you were into punk.
I could. ;)

The suggestions here are a good cross section.
I'd like to throw on a couple more names:
Front Line Assembly
Digital Archon

Tenoch
22-03-2005, 20:11
Admittedly myself included but how did anyone fail to mention Throbbing Gristle yet?

inquisitorkane
29-03-2005, 03:44
I second the call for Wumpscut. Decoded Feedback is also rather good, IMHO.

seth
30-03-2005, 01:32
for breakbeats try aphex twin

industrial death?....the berzerker

If you do get some fear factory make it soul of a new machine or fear is the mindkiller everything scince then is pants

sonar + hypnoskull if you fancy a bit of powernoize ( sounds a bit like the death cries of a metal cat in a washing machine)

also revolting cocks, 1000 homo dj's, chemlab, filter ( a bit poppy) kraftwerk, Ohgr, project pitchfork, vnv nation ( a bit more ebm/dancey) and for the extremly old skool cabaret voltaire

i second, (or is it third?) the recomendations for laibach....even kittens like it. kittens liking laibach (http://www.rathergood.com/laibach)

Math Mathonwy
30-03-2005, 11:40
Also, Global Genocide Heaven Failed, more commonly known as GGHF. They try to be rather extreme but aren't really all that. Entertaining nonetheless. Apollyon Sun is also good, Reefer Boy has the most "tractor-like" bass-line ever heard. Ace stuff, really. For a more gothiccy style, try Dimension F3H.

Then there are Deathstars and Kovenant for even more gothiccy industrial metal. Megaherz is for you if you like Rammstein. Then there is Introspect Void for a more purely industrial style. And one must not forget Kompressor, either!

arxhon, what's Digital Archon like?
inquisitorkane, what's Decoded Feedback like?

(and Tenoch suggesting Evereve makes me happy :))

HalberdBlue
30-03-2005, 16:40
I don't listen to too much Industrial, but Fear Factory is pretty good. Their earlier stuff is Death Metal with a touch of Industrial, but nowadays they are pretty much Industrial Metal with a bit of Death. Ministry and Nine Inch Nails are definately Industrial and really good. So is Godflesh, they are sort of like Grindcore Industrial. Thats about as far as my knowledge of Industrial is though.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Static-X. They are not really Industrial, if I had to describe them it would be Disco-Techno-Industrial-Metalcore. So there is some industrial in them :p

Math Mathonwy
02-04-2005, 17:51
I can't believe that I forgot Misery Loves Co. Their self titled debut is one of the very best industrial CDs I've ever heard, mixing some very heavy and deathy parts to some really killer industrial stuff. And their newest effort (Your Vision was Never Mine to Share) sounds like an evil, heavier version of Stabbing Westward. You really don't know the meaning of the words 'guitar wall' until you've heard When Everything Dies.

Rich
03-04-2005, 17:09
Personally I am a big fan of Pitchshifter's "Industrial" album, and you may enjoy that.

inquisitorkane
03-04-2005, 19:04
inquisitorkane, what's Decoded Feedback like?

A bit gothic, but not nearly as much as say Kovenant or Wumpscut. Otherwise, they do a lot of just acoustic songs. Good stuff.