PDA

View Full Version : What is the Ymga Monolith?

Kamin 989
17-10-2006, 17:56
What is the Ymga Monolith? I read about it in some old fluff and I don't know what it is. I know that it's near Ymgarl, but other than that I know nothing.

Mechanicus
17-10-2006, 18:36
We know that it's on the eastern fringe, possibly shaped like a trapezium, and it had "sinister architects". What this all means is anyone's guess.

Inquisitor Engel
17-10-2006, 18:40
Trapezium + "sinister architects" = Usually Necrons. :)

It's more than likely a reference to Arthur C. Clarke's/Stanley Kubrick's 2001's monolith than anything else, although the enymology of "Ymga" makes me think of HP Lovecraft-type things, but in 40k they're called Daemons.

Although something uber-Lovecraftian separate from Chaos would spur my interest IMMENSELY. :evilgrin:

Isoroku
17-10-2006, 18:43
Maybe is of Necrontyr architecture, by in side law that marks the prison of a Demon or is for containing Creatures o Energy Disform

Kegluneq
17-10-2006, 19:20
Although something uber-Lovecraftian separate from Chaos would spur my interest IMMENSELY. :evilgrin:
I.e., Necrons and Tyranids, both of which are described in the fluff with adjectives worthy of Lovecraft. The Ymga Monolith certainly sounds like a Lovecraftian building, and it wouldn't be the only piece of Necron architecture scattered around the place - Cadian pylons, anyone?

Darkseer
18-10-2006, 11:33
In Deathwing (old book out out print) there are some Imperial Guardsmen defending some ruins on the Eastern fringe which are described as having disturbing angles and such which are blatantly ripped from Lovecraft's work.

de Selby
18-10-2006, 11:43

Enslavers strike me as the most Lovecraftian thing in 40k. There were rules in an old Chapter approved: Creature Feature.

As for the monolith, no idea :D /OT

Curufew
18-10-2006, 12:06
I'm a noob but what's a lovecraft?

Ikkaan
18-10-2006, 12:24
Howard Phillips Lovecraft (* 20. August 1890 in Providence, Rhode Island; † 15. März 1937 in Providence, Rhode Island), was an American author of fantasy, horror and science fiction, noted for combining these three genres within single narratives. Lovecraft's readership was limited during his life, but his works have become very important and influential among writers and fans of modern horror fiction.

You have to read his stuff to believe it. Quite entertaining dark horror. The protagonists get killed by unspeakable horrors quite often. Or become insane. Or both.

Zzarchov
18-10-2006, 12:55
His work featured alot of sci-fi, aliens, and Demons. Alot like 40k..only..well, I don't want to say "more grim" because that implies there is hope...

More like humanity is a random ant-hill in WW1 no mans land...

lapis_lazuli
18-10-2006, 18:06
Maybe the monolith is a device to allow daemons to manifest on the Eastern Fringe, far from the Eye of Terror or the Maelstrom. Thus justifying daemons being used in prolonged campaigns against Tau/Tyranids/Ultramarines etc.

BaronDG
18-10-2006, 20:49
It's fun to stay at the YMGA...

Nabeshin1106
18-10-2006, 21:07
Enslavers strike me as the most Lovecraftian thing in 40k. There were rules in an old Chapter approved: Creature Feature.

As for the monolith, no idea :D /OT

I think that the Outsider is pretty Cthulhu-esqe. I mean, what is he doing? Sleeping/waiting, in a place no one can get to. Outsider fhtagn.