PDA

View Full Version : Build for a dwarf lord

Sir_Lunchalot
17-10-2006, 20:08
Howdy

I may be starting a Dwarf army soon, and I'm trying to think of a good build for a Dwarf lord. What would be good to mix with a rune of gromril and a master rune of spite? I'm thinking maybe the rune that allows the lord to use his great weapon as a great weapon, and the always strikes first rune. (sorry I forgot what they're called, no army book with me at the moment)

WLBjork
17-10-2006, 20:39
Both are Master Runes, so that's a no-no.

I find a budget Lord (Master Rune of Gromril and Great Weapon) has enough survivability and killing power against my opponents. If you must spend extra, a couple of Runes of Fury plus Master Rune of Kragg the Grim increases killing power by 50%ish.

The Thnikkaman
18-10-2006, 02:28
I run my dwarf lord to take out big beasties or tough characters.
Shieldbearers,
great axe with rune of krag the grim, rune of might, rune of snorri spanglehelm
rune of stone,
rune of spite

he has a 1+ save, 4+ ward, has S10 versus T5 enemies and hits most things on a 2+. Plus some shieldbearer attacks.

Interesting side-note - shieldbearers make the character US3. And because you can't target the shieldbearers and they arent specified as a mount, your lord becomes immune to killing blow, as you cant killing blow things with US3 or more!

shieldbearers are a must i think when it comes to equipping a lord.

Wargamejunkie
18-10-2006, 07:29
Thats an interesting point about the US3, now not only would you be paying for +2 save and the attacks, Now you can get Killing blow immunity thrown in there as well, all for dirt cheap.

The Thnikkaman
19-10-2006, 08:14
I think its something that the designers clearly overlooked when clarifying killing blow rules... The next rules errata would surely fix this, as it makes one of the new dwarf runes pretty useless plus it doesnt really make a lot of sense.

But until they do, i take it as an unexpected plus ;)

Sir_Lunchalot
19-10-2006, 15:30
I'm liking the shieldbearers and rune of stone. Now I gave the Lord a runic great weapon witht he rune that keeps it a great weapon, the rune of might and a rune of fury - this guy will really always wound stuff on a 2+!

Cloud Strife
19-10-2006, 16:16
thinking you might be taking things a bit too literally with the shieldbearers vs Killing Blow in my opinion as its still a US1 Dwarf that you're attacking - only difference is he is actually as tall as most things that he will fight....
(moral of story I don't use it to stop Killing Blow, and I would be very upset if someone tried to pull that on me)

but anyway the main problem that I find with a Dwarf Lord is the fact that you struggle to get him into combat unless you've backed him up with a Anvil of Doom in 3k+ so this is what I normally take.

Dwarf Lord, Great Weapon, Shieldbearers
Weapon Runes: Master Rune of Kragg the Grimm, Rune of Snorri Spangelhelm, Rune of Cleaving
Armour Runes: 2 Runes of Iron, Rune of Stone
Talismanic Runes: Master Rune of Challenge

This means he hits most stuff on 2s, can bingo chariots, and the Challenge rune allows you to make sure he either gets into combat or gets rid of an important threat.

Bran Dawri
19-10-2006, 19:12
My favorite configuration is the following:

rune of stone
master rune of spite (or steel)
master rune of swiftness, rune of cleaving x2

in a unit hammerers. There's a bunch of other combos that work well, but for me, the sheer synergy of this lord with the hammerers trumps them all.

Dodgy Ed
19-10-2006, 19:47
my favourite combo that has worked well (and is shamelessly ripped off from Gortex Gunnerson) is MoR Spite, MoR Siftness, R of cleaving and a R of attackyness (I forget the name right now:p ) and a shield bearer +shield, so you end up with a 1+armour save combined with a 4+ ward and 5 str 5 attacks that automatically strike first, of course this has to be combined with a big unit of ironbreakers

Master Corvinus
19-10-2006, 20:10
well if you want to be different go without the shieldbearers they are amazing but my lord has:Hand Weapon, Gromril Armour, Shield,
Rune of Smiting, Rune of Spite he gets a 2+/4+ you can use these runes? i mean because they are put on two different items so its fine right? the only problem is that he costs over 200 points but bear in mind he has a bodyguard and playing in a 2000pts army

maze ironheart
19-10-2006, 21:12
Howdy

I may be starting a Dwarf army soon, and I'm trying to think of a good build for a Dwarf lord. What would be good to mix with a rune of gromril and a master rune of spite? I'm thinking maybe the rune that allows the lord to use his great weapon as a great weapon, and the always strikes first rune. (sorry I forgot what they're called, no army book with me at the moment)

You could go for the master rune of kragg the grim then have 2 runes of fury for a totol of 6 attacks at strength 6.

Finn Sourscowl
20-10-2006, 10:29
My dwarf general in big games currently has a GW with MR Kragg the Grim, RO Snorri Spanglehelm and RO Fury giving him 5 S6 attacks that hit most things on 2's. Sheildbearers and runic armour with RO stone giving him a 1+ save and a talisman with the MR Spite to give him that 4+ WS. Of course, as hard as nails as he is, he is still only M3 so this tooled up version only sees the light in 3k+ games. Normally accompanied by a large unit of hammerers with a Runesmith carrying 2 dispel scrolls and the MR of Challange! Otherwise, shieldbearers, RO stone, a GW and MR of spite is an endurable, not too expensive alternative.

Stouty
21-10-2006, 12:15
My current dwarf lord build is a cheaper and stubborn wee fella.

Great Axe
Shieldbearer's
Master Rune of Spite
Rune of Stone
Rune of Resistance

Strength 6, tough 5, 2+ re-rollable armour save and a 4+ ward.

StumpyDwarf
23-10-2006, 01:43
I have not built anything greater than 1000pts

Finn Sourscowl
23-10-2006, 07:37
I have not built anything greater than 1000pts

Nor have I since the days of 4th/5th Ed. Herohammer :D... Although even then, I don't know if it was possible to get a dwarf character to over 1000 points. I do remember, however, that my lord, BSB and Runelord came to over 1500 points by themselves... :angel:

WLBjork
23-10-2006, 07:49
Yeeah, back in 4th/5th Ed there was no magic items point limit, which was great for Dwarfs. Not got my old book to hand, but I believe that t was possible to take a character to 750pts fairly easily.

Latro
23-10-2006, 08:12
In my 1000 pts list I use a Thane with Great Weapon, shield and Rune of Stone. He can simply dig in and refuse to die against dangerous things (using shield for a 1+ save) or use his Great Weapon when needed (3+ save, but strength 6 attacks now).

In my 1500 pts list I use the same Thane, but I added a Rune of Luck. He's still as flexible as before and with the Rune of Luck he can either re-roll an unlucky armour failure or force through a critical wound.

... yes, I know I'm cheap.

The Thnikkaman
24-10-2006, 05:23
One of the people in my gaming group runs a lord like this, and i have vowed never to take it on the grounds that it is ridiculously over the top for defence...

Lord
Shieldbearers
rune of stone, rune of resistance, master rune of steel
rune of spite
great weapon

so this is T5, 1+ re-rollable armor save, with the maximum enemy strength of attack being 5. So that can only be reduced to a 3+ re-rollable, plus a 4+ ward save. Unless you specifically pack a magic item that ignores armour saves, you basically will not kill this lord in cc.

The owner always puts him in a unit of hammerers as well as a bsb. Impossible to budge. I had to cut every single dwarf down :P

Because he is technically US3 in the new rules, you can't killing blow him. (gittish, i know. Although im sure this will be rectified when a rules errata comes out).

Freak Ona Leash
24-10-2006, 20:19
When Freak played Dwarfs, he used a Lord with Shieldbearers, Great Weapon, Rune of Stone and Master Rune of Spite. Relativly cheap, survivable and could still lay the hurt down with 4 WS7, S6 attacks.

Bran Dawri
24-10-2006, 20:41
Nor have I since the days of 4th/5th Ed. Herohammer :D... Although even then, I don't know if it was possible to get a dwarf character to over 1000 points.

It was. I recall building runelord that cost ~1200 points. Completely unkillable. Took down bloodthirsters and emperor dragons without working up a sweat.

Finn Sourscowl
25-10-2006, 07:53
It was. I recall building runelord that cost ~1200 points. Completely unkillable. Took down bloodthirsters and emperor dragons without working up a sweat.

Oooo that would probably have included an axe with the MR of Snorri Spanglehelm (all attacks hit automatically), a rune of might (+1S to give S6 for a rune lord?) and a Rune of smiting to give D6 wounds per wounding hit :D Total cost... 170ish just for that axe. Or did it include the MR of Death (all wounds kill)?? MR of gromril on the amour to give T10, a cool 150 for that rune. I can't remember the other standard equipment off the top of my head! I do remember, however, that I stopped giving my Lord the MR of Gromril when my opponents started using the Sword of Teclis for their charcters which wounded automatically!

Sorry, slightly off topic... but these beardlings who don't remember the 4th/5th ed. madness should be told and warned about the dangers of Herohammer :)

larabic
25-10-2006, 23:00
My Dwarf lord is usually:

Shield Bearers (25pts)
Great Wep:Kragg the Grim,Rune of Fury,Rune of Snorri Spanglehelm (76pts)
Gromil Armor: Rune of Stone, Rune of Adamant (50pts)

He hits and wounds most things on a 2+ and has 5 attacks +2 for the bearers, combine with T6 and 1+ save I have never had him killed. If you really feel the need you can make him have a ward save but i dont think its really needed.

Total 296 pts

Stouty
26-10-2006, 01:39
I would find that switching the adamant rune for the master rune of spite would work better. Spite halfs the wounds he suffers pretty much all of the time, adamant varies.

redbeard
30-10-2006, 18:40
One of the people in my gaming group runs a lord like this, and i have vowed never to take it on the grounds that it is ridiculously over the top for defence...

Lord
Shieldbearers
rune of stone, rune of resistance, master rune of steel
rune of spite
great weapon

Because he is technically US3 in the new rules, you can't killing blow him. (gittish, i know. Although im sure this will be rectified when a rules errata comes out).

Two questions:

1) Why do you think the US3 needs to be rectified? Why do you think this is gittish?

2) What's wrong with such a Lord, in the face of such characters as Grimgor, with 7 S7 "always attacks first" attacks, for what, 400ish points?

Danger Rat
31-10-2006, 09:48
I was under the impresion from another thread id read on warseer that even if the lord was on a shield he still wasn't immune to killing blow as he his still a single man sized target ie can't be picked out when hes in a unit

hence the prescence of the rune of preservation in the army book

Freak Ona Leash
31-10-2006, 10:52
I was under the impresion from another thread id read on warseer that even if the lord was on a shield he still wasn't immune to killing blow as he his still a single man sized target ie can't be picked out when hes in a unit

hence the prescence of the rune of preservation in the army book
Current killing blow rules=US3 models and above cannot be killing blowed. Dwarf Lord with Shield is US3. Therefore he cannot be killing blowed.

The Thnikkaman
31-10-2006, 23:31
@ redbeard: i think it's gittish because there's no real justification for a dwarf carried on a shield to somehow be immune to a decapitating blow! I don't think the actual US3 immune to killing blow rule in general is bad. Just that its a technicality that a lord on shieldbearers is now immune to it. And as danger rat notes, rune of preservation is what is meant to give dwarves immunity to killing blow.

Funny you should mention Grimgor, because my dwarf lord promptly smashed him into the ground in a challenge :P That was sweet.

no shieldbearers, just rune of snorri spanglehelm, rune of might, rune of stone, rune of spite and a shield.

Mazian
01-11-2006, 02:28
dwarf lord
axe - MR of swiftness, rune of cleaving (+1 st), rune of fury (+1 attack)
armor - shield, rune of stone (+1 armour save) gromril armor
trinket - MR of spite (4+ ward save)

take either an oathstone or shieldbearers depending on list and opponent.

this gives you a lord that goes first when charged in cc or challenge with 5 str5 attacks. defended by a 1 or 2+ armor save backed up by a 4+ ward save. very difficult to kill and can dish it out as well. I have killed ogre tyrants, blood dragon vamps and demon princes with this guy in challenges and against regular troopers he just racks up combat resolution.

Sir_Lunchalot
01-11-2006, 03:19
The US3 immune to killing blow thing is like the bikes which turbo boost loose their armor save thing in 40k. Going by the RAW, that's the way it is.

intellectawe
01-11-2006, 03:32
The US3 immune to killing blow thing is like the bikes which turbo boost loose their armor save thing in 40k. Going by the RAW, that's the way it is.

I don't udnerstand the comparison.

US3 being immune to Killing Blow is simply due to Killing Blow only affecting US2 or lower models. No tricks here, nothing sneaky.

Make a model above US2 and Killing Blow wont affect it anymore.

My Chaos Dwarf is US1, but after I put him on his mount he is US5. NO trickery here either.

The Thnikkaman
01-11-2006, 05:03
@ intellectawe - just to sidetrack this thread a bit more, i believe the chaos dwarf on the mount can still be killing blow'd. His unit strength is 1, and his mount is 4, making for a grand total of 5. The difference with a lord & shieldbearers is that you can't target the shieldbearers individually, whereas with a monster mount you can. As such, it's a single model with a unit strength of 3, where the chaos dwarf is a character on a mount. This probably belongs in the rules section, but anyway.

Danger Rat
01-11-2006, 10:14
@ intellectawe - just to sidetrack this thread a bit more, i believe the chaos dwarf on the mount can still be killing blow'd. His unit strength is 1, and his mount is 4, making for a grand total of 5. The difference with a lord & shieldbearers is that you can't target the shieldbearers individually, whereas with a monster mount you can. As such, it's a single model with a unit strength of 3, where the chaos dwarf is a character on a mount. This probably belongs in the rules section, but anyway.

I agree and i would say that applies to the dwarf lord (the first bit) as any character riding a mount can still be killing blowed as you have allocated your attacks to them and not the mount as you can't single out the shieldbearers. Im going to heat 2 this weekend with my dwarfs so im guessing the issue will come up it will be interesting to see what the refs rule.

If not im sure the faq will make things clear

intellectawe
01-11-2006, 17:08
Ah, I didnt see that simple aspect of the US rules. My CD Lord still is US1 while the Dwarf Lord has actually changed into US3 status.

Thanks for the clear up!

JJpenguin
01-11-2006, 19:44
hi first reply!

on the US3, lets say vitalstatistix's feet get killing blowed so he only takes 1 wound at a time :D

incedentally has anyone tried Master rune of kragg & 2 runes of cleaving on sheildbearers?

JJpenguin

Danger Rat
07-11-2006, 07:47
The refs ruled at heat 2 that a dwarf lord mounted on a shield is immune to killing blow as he is US3.