PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at Dwarf Army for UKGT Heat 3 (2000 pts)

tristessa
18-10-2006, 16:22
Haven't played fantasy in an age but fancied going to the GT this year, so am putting together a Dwarf list. I'm not too bothered about winning, just playing some fun games. How does this list rate in terms of balance?

Thanks for any comments + criticism!

1 Dwarf Lord @ 280 Pts
General; Shieldbearers; Gromril Armour
Runic Armour
Master Rune of Gromril
Rune of Resistance
Runic Talisman
Rune of Luck
Runic Weapon
Master Rune of Swiftness
Rune of Striking (x2)

1 Runesmith @ 85 Pts
Gromril Armour
Runic Armour
Rune of Stone
Runic Weapon
Rune of Striking

9 Thunderers @ 165 Pts
Dwarf Handgun; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
Veteran

9 Thunderers @ 165 Pts
Dwarf Handgun; Light Armour; Standard; Musician
Veteran

19 Warriors @ 205 Pts
Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
Veteran

19 Warriors @ 205 Pts
Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
Veteran @

17 Longbeards @ 248 Pts
Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician
Runic Banner
Rune of Stoicism
Greatbeard @ [10] Pts

17 Hammerers @ 314 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
Runic Banner
Rune of Slowness

1 Gate Keeper @ [12] Pts

1 Cannon @ 105 Pts
Engineer

1 Cannon @ 105 Pts
Engineer

1 Organ Gun @ 120 Pts

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 112

Total Army Cost: 1997

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
18-10-2006, 17:27
Looks quite balanced... should be fun to play and face.. Ypu might want to add a thane BSB though..

Ta'akul
18-10-2006, 17:34
Although I am new to dwarfs, I would also be inclined to consider a BSB. I would take out the command from the two thunderer units as a start toward the points needed.

tristessa
18-10-2006, 19:52
Thanks for the comments! I'll have a play around and see what I can swing...

KingNothing
18-10-2006, 20:04
[size=1]
1 Dwarf Lord @ 280 Pts
General; Shieldbearers; Gromril Armour
Runic Armour
Master Rune of Gromril
Rune of Resistance
Runic Talisman
Rune of Luck
Runic Weapon
Master Rune of Swiftness
Rune of Striking (x2)

Was this intending that the sheild bearers have gromril armour and the Lord has the runic armour?

Oberon
18-10-2006, 20:19
Gromril armour, further upgraded to runic armour by runes I quess. Are you sure you need all that on your lord? Don't you feel you need RO spellbreakings or BSB? I would remove those command models from your thunderers, and at least give Ro burning&reloading to your cannons. Makes them magical :)

HolySanguinius
18-10-2006, 20:28
The Lord looks alright, but why the runes of striking? Fury or Cleaving are far better.

Thunderers should never have commands drop them. Don't thunderers have a minimum unit size 10?

Your rune smith should just take a GW and some Ro Spell breaking.

Make the Hammerers and Longbeards 15 and you should have enough for a BSB. He is essential in dwarf armies. Give him MRo Gromril and 2x Ro Iron. This guy is extremely survivable. Rune of striking if you want a magic weapon.

Latro
18-10-2006, 21:10
I like the overall look of the list ... it's one of those lists I wouldn't mind playing with or against. That said, there are a few things that caught my eyes:

- Your Runesmith has clearly an identity-crisis ... he thinks he's a Thane. Half his beer-rations, adjust his equipment to something more suitable (anti-magic stuff) and make him promise to behave on the battle-field. ;)

- With the 5-model = rank rule these days, it's better to strengthen your combat regiments to about 25 models each. That way they will still be fighting at maximum efficiency after receiving the initial charge.

- Adding a BSB will really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really help ... really, trust me ... really.

- The Master Rune of Challenge would be sooooooooooooo nice to have in the unit with your Lord. :evilgrin:

... all of this will of course cost points, which brings me to the following:

- Thunderers are absolutely ace ... period! That doesn't mean they should hoist a big flag saying "Hey! You there! Did you know this fragile-one-rank missile unit is worth 265 VP's?" A better (and cheaper) option is scratching the command group (or take only a musician if you expect to use flee-tactics) ... and perhaps adding shields which makes them a lot stronger against nuisance units like flyers, scouts, skirmishers and fast cavalry.

- Make one of the combat regiments smaller and use it in a more supportive (detachment) role. Hammerers would be good for this because they don't rely that much on ranks to be effective in combat ... and won't break because of the lack of it.

- Take a good look at the Runes you have. Make sure they are exactly what you plan on using ... if not, scrap it.

Well, I hope that helped a bit.

tristessa
18-10-2006, 21:53
Thanks for that! Like I said, it's been an absolute age since I played Fantasy so I put this list together on the basis of what I liked the look of on initial glance. I shall definitely take on board your comments and hopefully come up with a second draft tomorrow. I need to have a good read of the army book tonight, me thinks... Thanks for the comments everyone. Very much appreciated. Glad the list looks fun to play against. Hopefully the only comments relating to beards will be directed towards the models and not me...

Finn Sourscowl
19-10-2006, 11:11
I'll back what Latro said. It's a nice list and will be very well balanced once those few things are ironed out.

Good luck with a second version!

By the way, The Master Rune of Challange is seriously nice if you can fit it in somewhere in your general's regiment. It can really screw up your opponents plans :D

Captain Lysander360
31-12-2006, 19:35
for holysanguinis they do have a minium unit of 10.

Captain Lysander360
31-12-2006, 19:36
I think the lord is too much points and if his unit breaks then it would be a waste of points while you can get a couple more organ guns

Mordu22
01-01-2007, 16:46
Drop the Rune of Gromril on the lord and get a shield and a Rof Stone, same save Much cheaper