PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Oathstone Questions

Hersius
19-10-2006, 03:32
Ok I have a few questions about the dwarf oathstones. I am considering bringing one but a few items seem "fuzzy" to me.

1. It says in the rules that once a character sets an oathstone when an oppenent charges, that the character and the unit cannot voluntarily move away from it unless they flee. Does this mean that the character on the stone cannot move while in combat as he has placed the stone or does it mean the unit cannot move at all even when not in combat since the stone has been set.

2. It specifically says in the oathstone rules that all the dwarfs form up around the stone and face all directions. This in turn ignores the flank/rear charges. Does this mean that if the character were in a ranger unit, that they may stand and shoot in all directions since in effect the unit has no front anymore. Also can they shoot in all directions in the following dwarf shooting phases, since they are assumed to stay in that formation.

Any help would be great, these rules just seem unclear to me. Thanks!

WLBjork
19-10-2006, 04:26
1. There is nothing ruleswise to prevent the Character moving within the unit.

2. I wouls say yes, and also the unit can always claim HW&S bonus all around as well.

NakedFisherman
19-10-2006, 04:44
It won't stop ghouls from killing Hammerers.

mageith
19-10-2006, 05:24
1. There is nothing ruleswise to prevent the Character moving within the unit.

Except this: "The character on the stone may not be moved within the unit." Dwarf 28, Oath Stone Rule 2, last sentence.

mageith
19-10-2006, 05:32
2. It specifically says in the oathstone rules that all the dwarfs form up around the stone and face all directions. This in turn ignores the flank/rear charges. Does this mean that if the character were in a ranger unit, that they may stand and shoot in all directions...
"...'set the stone' ... as part of a Hold reaction." (Dwarf 28)

I suppose if there were a second charge on the stoned unit, it could stand and shoot in all directions except for this...

Also page 28 "...(but NOT Rangers)..."

Khorneflakes
19-10-2006, 08:50
ive also got a question, after the combat is finished and assuming the character and unit survive can they move? or must the remain where they are always having no flanks.

Tutore
19-10-2006, 08:55
The unit may not move afterwards. The character may be attacked from any direction because he´s supposed to be on the stone and everyone may see and attack him. You cannot use it in a ranger unit.

gukal
19-10-2006, 13:34
The unit may not move afterwards. The character may be attacked from any direction because heīs supposed to be on the stone and everyone may see and attack him. You cannot use it in a ranger unit.

I'm working without the Dwarf book right now. However, my recollection is that the Dwarf character who sets the stone must always accept challenges (because he is on a stone in the middle and "not hard to find"). This is not the same as being vulnerable to attack from any flank.

- Gukal

WLBjork
19-10-2006, 13:35
Except this: "The character on the stone may not be moved within the unit." Dwarf 28, Oath Stone Rule 2, last sentence.

Blast it. The one rule I was looking for and I missed it.

Time for new glasses (again).

Tutore
20-10-2006, 08:19
I'm working without the Dwarf book right now. However, my recollection is that the Dwarf character who sets the stone must always accept challenges (because he is on a stone in the middle and "not hard to find"). This is not the same as being vulnerable to attack from any flank.

- Gukal

Right, itīs not the same thing. But he must also launch challenges everytime he can, from whatever side comes the enemy.

mageith
20-10-2006, 13:43
ive also got a question, after the combat is finished and assuming the character and unit survive can they move? or must the remain where they are always having no flanks.
That's the overwhelming consensus.

The unit may be FORCED to flee, however.

I believe this is true, even if the stonebearer himself dies however, because it is "Setting the stone has the following effects--"

eldrak
20-10-2006, 21:22
However the character may still have a ranged weapon that he can S&S with. He can be seen from all directions but i can't find anything to support he can shoot in all directions.

Khorneflakes
21-10-2006, 05:54
thanks mageith i thought it was sumthing like that. you are most wise beyond your years.:D

Daemon king Mad Dog
21-10-2006, 08:09
What i want to know is can the lord/thane pick the stone back up again? or is that a stupid question (i haven't got the book to hand, it's 5 miles away!)

gukal
21-10-2006, 13:19
What i want to know is can the lord/thane pick the stone back up again? or is that a stupid question (i haven't got the book to hand, it's 5 miles away!)

The rules only make provision for setting the stone and then not moving thereafter (except to flee). There is no provision for recovering the stone and moving on.

Therefore, once you drop the oathstone, it remains in place for the duration of the battle.

- Gukal

Daemon king Mad Dog
21-10-2006, 15:44
Dang, well at least my guy can march out of the castle with his unit, and hold up the enemy for a turn or three.

Festus
21-10-2006, 16:32
Hi

Dang, well at least my guy can march out of the castle with his unit, and hold up the enemy for a turn or three.
Well, that seems to be the general idea to it then, or isn't it?

Festus

mageith
21-10-2006, 18:20
thanks mageith i thought it was sumthing like that. you are most wise beyond your years.:D
Thanks but actually I have lots of years.

Mage the Sage Ith

Daemon king Mad Dog
22-10-2006, 09:58
Thanks but actually I have lots of years.

Mage the Sage Ith

lol. Mage? How un-dwarfy is that! Burn the witch!