icon of sacred eye(+1 to hit right?)

6 hvy skeleton horsemen

25 tomb guard
command
icon of rakaph(reform thingy right?)

tomb scorpion

3 carrions

screaming skull catapult

I think this is a good list that's fun to play with and against, what do you think? :)

Tutore
19-10-2006, 09:03
It´s a fun list, but I would rather use one or two more infantry units. The tomb guard unit is a little bit alone down there.

Tobias
19-10-2006, 10:44
I know, but versus a cc army, suddenly a unit of hvy can appear and make a rear charge ;), and the bowmen always can make a countercharge :) The worst enemy unit is easily taken down by the chariot unit (+1 to hit making the TK hitting on 2's :P). But how can I squeeze in those units? I think every turn 20 S3 shots can kill one infantry unit, and the other can be beaten in cc I guess :P

druchii
19-10-2006, 15:56
I know, but versus a cc army, suddenly a unit of hvy can appear and make a rear charge ;), and the bowmen always can make a countercharge :) The worst enemy unit is easily taken down by the chariot unit (+1 to hit making the TK hitting on 2's :P). But how can I squeeze in those units? I think every turn 20 S3 shots can kill one infantry unit, and the other can be beaten in cc I guess :P

Keep in mind, hitting on 5s, only one third of your shots will hit on average. While this isn't bad, it isn't fantastic.So after 6-7 shots hit (agaisnt basic infantry) you'll score 3-4 wounds. Again, say the opposing unit has a basic 5+
save, now you've done 2-3 wounds. Not nearly enough to "kill one infantry unit". Although you DO have a catapult.

Your list is odd.

You have elements of an offensive army (like the horsemen and the cariots) and then alot of defensive units (tomb guard, catapult, archers, banner of the hidden dead, etc.). In short, I think you're wasting your points on the chariots.

Why not get some ushabti? They're fantastic, and they seem to have a larger place in such a defensive army. When an opponent charges an unbreakable block of skeletons, have your ushabti countercharge next turn and tear something in two.

Concentrate your efforts in tomb kings, focus on defensive or offensive, I've honestly never seen a combination of the two work.

d

Tobias
19-10-2006, 17:36
Mhm, my last TK list(skeletons instead of tomb guard), no horsemen extra unit chariots, no archers, extra unit ushabti and 3 LP. Was also a mix very good.

The problem with an all offensive list, it will not work versus every army. The same goes for defence.

The hvy horsemen and carrions can destroy enemy war machiens on turn one, my chariots kan outmanouvre enemy cav, and the infantry units can be handled.

But why would a mix not work? There are many defensive lists wit h a unit of hard hitters.

And charitos kan countercharge too, only I can do more than only that, they can win cc on their own, ushabti can't. And a counter charge from horsemen or archers would do the trick too I think :)

Alathir
19-10-2006, 17:51
A mix occassionally works, but not with Tomb Kings. They are, like Druchii said, very much an army where you need to focus all of your efforts. 20 S3 TK shots will not destroy a unit a turn. I would be surprised if it destroyed half of an enemy infantry unit.

I would drop the Icon Bearer and horsemen, while the banner of the hidden dead can be nice. I think your better off with just another Liche or a tomb prince. And as Tutore said, you need more infantry to back up the Tomb Guard, or at least some ushabti.

Tobias
19-10-2006, 18:16
Not a unit a turn, but a unit in 4 turns, 80 shots should do the trick. Combined with some casket of souls and catapult :). But they will probably kill flyers, skirmishers and fast cav :)

Mhm I was htinking about the icon bearer and horsemen to it's an expensive one trick pony. But with the new overrun rule, you can charge a group of war machines from the side and overrun in each one of them and kill them all in one turn right? The horsemen do have a 34 inch move first turn! Cannons won't be a problem, I can kill lone mages and other small things in the first turn.

My old list was about this:
tomb king on chariot, 3 liche priests, casket, catapult, 25 skeletons, 3 ushabti, 4 chariots, 3 chariots, scorpion, 3 carrions and a tomb zwarm. Should I go back to something more like that?

Elannion
19-10-2006, 18:53
A mix would work in tomb kings, however you simply don't have enough of each to make a coherant force in either direction. Tomb kings are very expensive and at low points you won't get alot out of them.

Killing one unit in four turns isn't much to brag about really and it could even then be hard feat unless you allow for some nice combiened charges with goor results. The problem is you forget that your one main combat unit will get swamped easily even if your archers are shooting people down. Heavy cavalry are quite expensive i think the trick with them is large units, and chariots are great but again they are not a real combat unit on their own.

I like the idea of the icon bearer (not nessisarily his standard though), i think this is a underused unit which could possibly be quite effective. I would say not to assume that your horsemen or anything have 24" charge, because in reality you have to get the spell through defense and your unit has to be within 12" of the liche which doesn't generally happen if your talking about a game winning charge(as usually he will be left open.)

Tobias
19-10-2006, 21:32
No a garanteed 34 inch charge. They can pop up within 18 inch of my icon bearer and move as normal. :) And if there is much infantry for my tomb guard to face they will pop up and make a rare charge :)

Tobias
20-10-2006, 18:14
How about swapping the 2 archer units, for a unit of 4 chariots? :)

ardude
20-10-2006, 18:46
(maby an annoying) question but doesn't the banner says:
the unit can "pop op or something" in the remaining moves, so the unit shouldn't be able to charge that same turn

Tobias
20-10-2006, 18:55
ow '-_- aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg I'm going to read that again tomorrow

Alathir
21-10-2006, 05:50
The banner is an exeception and the unit can turn on the charge it appears I believe... oh actually, wait I don't think they can. But you could magically charge them.

druchii
21-10-2006, 17:33
Mhm, my last TK list(skeletons instead of tomb guard), no horsemen extra unit chariots, no archers, extra unit ushabti and 3 LP. Was also a mix very good.

The problem with an all offensive list, it will not work versus every army. The same goes for defence.

The hvy horsemen and carrions can destroy enemy war machiens on turn one, my chariots kan outmanouvre enemy cav, and the infantry units can be handled.

But why would a mix not work? There are many defensive lists wit h a unit of hard hitters.

And charitos kan countercharge too, only I can do more than only that, they can win cc on their own, ushabti can't. And a counter charge from horsemen or archers would do the trick too I think :)

Theory hammer is good and all, but I think your list will have trouble with alot of lists. Against aggressive armies, your aggressive elements will be easily drawn and quartered. You've got one unit that the opponent really has to be worried about (the chariots) and I'm affraid those would get smashed in one go.

Then the rest of your army: You've got one unit that's really able to take a charge(tg). Everything else will dustify against a unit that can fight its way out of a paper bag.

While the scorpion IS indeed great, it won't do much against a ranked infantry unit. Besides die, that is.

So besides your TG and your chariots, there isn't much in the army that can honestly make someone tremble. While the TG ARE ranked and quite threatening, they aren't something that would require more than two units to deal with. After splatting the chariots, your archer and catapult units become rather vunerable, and thus your "flanking" units are denied.

Again, not that a "mixed" army cannot work, it is usually that they DO NOT work. With so few elements of both armies included, you'll be outclassed (while not necessassarily outplayed) from the get-go.

d

Tobias
22-10-2006, 01:11
Mhm mhm, I think I'm going to drop the heavy cav and icon bearer, their use isn't that good now I know the rules better.

How about doing this:
- Drop icon bearer
- drop heavy cav
- drop tomb guard
- put king on foot with great weapon

Add
- A unit of skeletons(together with the tomb king it's a great unit)
- A Tomb Prince in a chariot(or should I mound the king instead of him or both?)
- Another unit chariots

What are your thoughts?

Tobias
23-10-2006, 22:58
Tomb King
Chariot
Shield light armour flail
Crown of Kings

Tomb Prince
Chariot
Shield Light armour flail
brooch of hte great desert

Liche priest
Cloack of the dunes
Hieratic Jar

Liche priest
Casket of souls
scroll
Enkhols kalopi

Core
3 chariots(TK goes here)
standard
banner of undying legion

3 chariots(TP here)
standard
Banner of the sacred eye(this is the +1 to hit thing right?)

2×10 archers

25 skeletons
light amour, shield
command

special
Tomb Scorpion

3 carrions

Rare
Catapult
skulls of the foe

This is the list now