PDA

View Full Version : 3 rules questions

Shaitan
19-10-2006, 10:28
Some rules questions that arose during a battle last night.....

1) A unit skirmishers (for example Furies) is charged by 2 chariots. What is the correct way to deal with this?
-> A) The skirmishers form a battle line (EDIT:4) wide (according to the width of the one chariot charging first)
-> B) The skirmishers form a battle line (EDIT:6) wide (according to the width of both chariots)

2) A character is in a unit and the unit is within 6" of an enemy unit that causes Terror. The unit takes a leadership test and passes. The character then leaves the unit but the opponent (in his turn) places the same terror-causing model within 6" of the character. Does the character have to test for the terror or does the passed test of the unit it was with in the previous turn render the test unnecessary?
-> A) Yes, make an other Ld test
-> B) No, test is allready made

3) What to do in the following combat situation?

BBBBB A and B are from player 1
AAAAAY X and Y are from player 2
X Y unit Y flees from the combat, unit X doesn't.....

-> A) Unit B can pursue unit Y because it has no more enemies in base contact
-> B) Unit B cannot pursue because unit A still has an enemy in base contact

Yaffar
19-10-2006, 10:59
1A) The skirmishers form a battle line 6 wide (according to the width of the one chariot charging first)

2 B) No, test is allready made

3 A) Unit B can pursue unit Y because it has no more enemies in base contact

Shaitan
19-10-2006, 11:17
Oops, I have miscalculated the widths of the skirmisher formations. It should be 4 wide in instance A and 6 wide in instance B. I've edited it....

Thanx for your clarifications!

T10
19-10-2006, 13:15
1) I haven't seen anything on skirmishers receiving multiple chargers from multiple directions, but this seems appropriate:
- The first chariot moves into contact with the skirmishing unit, thus establishing the battle-line.
- The second chariot moves to engage the unit to the front, flank or rear as appropriate.
- If both chariots engage the unit to the front then the skirmishers form up wider in order to bring as many models as possible into close combat.

-T10

Shaitan
19-10-2006, 13:47
1) I haven't seen anything on skirmishers receiving multiple chargers from multiple directions, but this seems appropriate:
- The first chariot moves into contact with the skirmishing unit, thus establishing the battle-line.
- The second chariot moves to engage the unit to the front, flank or rear as appropriate.
- If both chariots engage the unit to the front then the skirmishers form up wider in order to bring as many models as possible into close combat.

-T10

And what if a unit skirmishers is charged by a chariot in turn 1, and they form up, 4 wide.
Then, in the folowing turn they are charged by another chariot, also in the front.
Do they now also expand their frontage in order to bring as many models as possible into close combat?

DeathlessDraich
19-10-2006, 14:18
No, they've already ranked up and cannot change their formation while in combat - that's in the rules somewhere. The charge in turn 2 follows the normal charge rules e.g. for determining flank etc.

DeathlessDraich
19-10-2006, 14:23
Just an afterthought:
3) If (A) has a bigger US than (B), then (Y) flees from (A) even though (A) is not pursuing.

Festus
19-10-2006, 18:13
Hi

1) If charged in the same turn, the Skirmishers will form up against both chariots, as multiple charges in 7th are simultaneously. cf. p.23

2) The character has already passed his terror test while he was part of the unit, and you only test for terror once. So: no further Terror test.

3) Answer B)

Festus

Shaitan
20-10-2006, 10:58
Just an afterthought:
3) If (A) has a bigger US than (B), then (Y) flees from (A) even though (A) is not pursuing.
Yes, that's the way we normally play it. But in our case, both units has US5 so we made a dice roll te see wich direction (Y) would flee.

I think we all agree on question 1 and 2 now, but about question 3...

I thought that answer A was (logically) correct. Since unit B has no enemy units in base contact, what would prohibit it from pursuing the fleeing unit?
And if answer B is correct, what would unit B do then?

I don't have the rulebook nearby now so I can't recall any exact quotes.

NakedFisherman
20-10-2006, 12:50
In a multiple combat, units out of base contact with enemies are considered out of combat.

DeathlessDraich
20-10-2006, 13:11
For Q3:
pg 40 "...a unit will only pursue if all the enemies it is in contact with are fleeing. If one unit breaks and flees while others fight on, the victorious troops cannot pursue"

A cannot pursue while B must or restrain.

eldrak
20-10-2006, 21:27
And it looks like B will stand still where they are as they cannot run past unit A if the unit runs from B and gets away. If they run from A unit B will make a pivot and go from there.

DeathlessDraich
21-10-2006, 08:56
Yes, B cannot pursue if it is blocked by A but only during actual pursuit. - see 'pivot' below.
"...always moves their full distance unless their pursuit takes them into contact with... friendly units... in which case they stop immediately".

I think "stop immediately" means stop "1" from".

There is also the 'pivot' interpretation problem.
'Pivot' has been used for the fleeing and pursuing rules without a clearly worded definition.
I've used the illustrations in the rule book and interpreted that while pivoting, the centre of the unit does not move and that pivoting is a mechanism to determine the exact fleeing direction and it does not matter if parts of the pivoting unit (for pursuers, this does not matter for fleers who are skirmishers) comes into contact with other units. - Any opinions on this?

Another way of overcoming the 'pivot' problem for pursuers is:
The pursuit direction simply follows the flee direction with the pursuers changing its 'facing' accordingly. There is no necessity to pivot. - Any opinions on this?

Festus
21-10-2006, 09:07
Hi

Unit B will pursue, as Unit Y flees away from A (higher US).

Even if it were the other way round (B having higher US), they will and should be able to pursue, as they will not pivot and are already contacting A. It requires only a bit of common sense to apply the rule of multiple combats to the actual situation IMO: B breaks Y and as such can pursue out of the actual combat. Should they encounter other troops (not involved in the combat), the rules are clear...

Greetings
Festus