warsmith si
19-10-2006, 12:00
Hi guys, don't think this has been mentioned before but apologies if it has

Check out the new star wars game:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/starshipbattles

Ship to ship combat in the Star Wars universe! How cool! :evilgrin:

Jedi152
19-10-2006, 12:05
It actually looks pretty good, apart from the fact that i hate randomised boosters.

That's enough to put me off.

Kordos
19-10-2006, 12:52
i might be getting this to use with the Star wars RPG (using the actual rpg rules and not the toned down mini rules)

Keravin
19-10-2006, 14:48
Really tempted by this.

Ohman
19-10-2006, 15:18
Where can I see some pics of the little ships? Didn't see any on the official site.

warsmith si
19-10-2006, 16:01
Apparently sneak peeks of the ships should be up soon.......;)

BloodOrkClanBoss
19-10-2006, 16:17
Yep, I'll be playing this.

Jedi152
19-10-2006, 16:27
If you actually click on 'Products' on the left hand side, you can see one ship, Slave-1.

Keravin
19-10-2006, 16:56
If you're on the main Star Wars page you can see the Falcon, an X wing and a Tie Interceptor.

The Judge
19-10-2006, 18:41
Oooo this looks interesting... hope the prices aren't too shabby

Ohman
19-10-2006, 19:26
I seem to have been a little sloppy when I first looked for pictures. I've found a couple now, I'll attach them so everyone can see them.

The scale seem a little strange. Judging by the bases all the ships look to be the same size.

tabletopnews
19-10-2006, 21:03
Judging by the bases all the ships look to be the same size.

The bases are the same shape but the figs are definitely not the same size. The scale is exaggerated but the two Dreadnoughts that are in the preview today are probably four times the size of the X-Wing model

Morathi's Darkest Sin
19-10-2006, 22:34
I do like the look, sadly the Executor is scaled as the same size as a Mon calamari Ship.. :wtf:

I'd have much rather the'd just done a Star Destroyer release like the AT AT to get it in scale with the smaller ships, but I suppose that's not gonna happen.

I might pic some up, but before I saw the scale a few weeks back I was all over this.. now I'm meh. :cries: Shame really.

Ohman
19-10-2006, 23:02
The bases are the same shape but the figs are definitely not the same size. The scale is exaggerated but the two Dreadnoughts that are in the preview today are probably four times the size of the X-Wing model

Good to hear. Although, like Morathi's Darkest Sin, I feel it would have been nicer to have just the smaller ships and maybe a special edition Star Destroyer of the right size.

tabletopnews
19-10-2006, 23:37
I do like the look, sadly the Executor is scaled as the same size as a Mon calamari Ship.. :wtf:

Well if you want to be able to play the game on a table that isn't the size of a football field you need to be a bit liberal with the scale of the ships :-)

cpl_hicks
20-10-2006, 00:42
I'd have much rather the'd just done a Star Destroyer release like the AT AT to get it in scale with the smaller ships, but I suppose that's not gonna happen.
I might pic some up, but before I saw the scale a few weeks back I was all over this.. now I'm meh. :cries: Shame really.

well the Mon Cal ship is a Viscount-class Star Defender (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viscount-class_Star_Defender), the biggest Republic ship, an equivelent to the Executor-class Star Dreadnought (an Executor-class Star Dreadnought)

erion
20-10-2006, 01:23
Ow. My Wallet...

Keravin
20-10-2006, 11:19
I'm waiting for the Death Star model ala the AT-at for this game.

BloodOrkClanBoss
20-10-2006, 15:03
I dont know. I was pysched for this, but now that I see the prices and everyone has to collect both dark and light sides since you are not sure who your opponent is going to be...My friend and I were thinking about splitting the light side and dark side models.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
21-10-2006, 01:35
well the Mon Cal ship is a Viscount-class Star Defender (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viscount-class_Star_Defender), the biggest Republic ship, an equivelent to the Executor-class Star Dreadnought (an Executor-class Star Dreadnought)

Ah I assumed it was one of their types from ROTJ's main battle which where no where near Executor scale.

Senbei
25-10-2006, 11:50
Ergh... Shame they couldn't work closer to scale. WOTC seem keen on selling boxed 'specials' (Red/Black Dragons, AT-AT, AT-ST) at the moment so it's a shame that they couldn't bring themselves to leave anything too big out of the booster boxes to be sold seperately :/

firestorm40k
25-10-2006, 13:42
Nevermind the cruisers, I'd settle just for squadrons of fighters going at each other...

'This is Red Five, standing by!'

'Switch all-deflector fields, Double Front!'

'You worry about those fighters, I'll worry about that tower!'

etc etc

Apparently, I never advanced any further than a 6 year old in my emotional and mental development :D

baphomael
25-10-2006, 15:24
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. I wasn unimpressed by the Star War miniatures game (personally I dont like the idea of randomised miniatures...and the quality of painting and sculpting is largely poor).

But Star Wars STARSHIP COMBAT *_*

I might not be able to resist this one. I've always dreamt of duking it out between star destroyers and Mon Calamari cruisers on the tabletop. And this game lets me do just that. Oh joy. It'll be buying single minis on ebay for me then :P
Anyone wanna start thinking about a Star Wars battlefleet gothic rules-conversion then?

Hmm, its released on the 20/11/06. Just in time for my birthday too :P

Z-chan
25-10-2006, 20:36
Yep, it sounds real exciting. Always wanted to command my own Star Destroyer and yell "Intensify forward deflectors!"

Hope it isn't as dumbed-down as the land-based version.

General Samuel of the 101
25-10-2006, 22:03
Z-Chan,see the rules for yourself
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SBrulebook
seem to be more complex than The Land game,but is not BFG

Z-chan
26-10-2006, 02:12
Hey, just came there a few minutes ago. Yep, it seems a bit more intriguing than the other one... Then again, I think the uniform speed for ship classes seems a bit lame. And I hate d20s...

Nontheless, still interesting!

jazzdude78
26-10-2006, 16:37
Nevermind the cruisers, I'd settle just for squadrons of fighters going at each other...

'This is Red Five, standing by!'

'Switch all-deflector fields, Double Front!'

'You worry about those fighters, I'll worry about that tower!'

etc etc

Apparently, I never advanced any further than a 6 year old in my emotional and mental development :D

Ill second that
just fighters would lead to a much cooler system IMHO
you could run it similar to jovian chronicles does with the change in scale between cruisers and fighters/exos

Senbei
27-10-2006, 11:41
Hmn... Wasn't there a larger scale Star-Destroyer plastic kit released a while back.... that might be in scale with the fighters )_)

:D

Would mean having to find a pretty big room to play in though....

Mantis23
28-10-2006, 19:44
I'm waiting for the Death Star model ala the AT-at for this game.

Step 1. Buy a kickball
Step 2. Buy a can of gray spraypaint
Step 3. You should be able to guess... :)

shakespear
05-11-2006, 02:08
I have been waiting for this since the crappy west end games version.

I am pre-ordering a starter and two cases..

New Cult King
12-11-2006, 00:52
Ah ****. I want.

But wasn't the Executor much larger than the Viscount?

baphomael
12-11-2006, 04:13
Ah ****. I want.

But wasn't the Executor much larger than the Viscount?

Its a relative scale...in order to accomodate all the various ship sizes they've skimped on realisitic scale. Otherwise you wouldnt be able to fit ships like the slive I or the Executor onto the same board without one being waaay too big or waaay too small.

Eduard
15-11-2006, 16:34
Maybe it will be possible to combine the star fighters with the forgeworld rules for fighter combat. (can't remember the name).

tabletopnews
15-11-2006, 16:43
Its called Aeronautica Imperialis

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/index.php?s=aeronautica

baphomael
25-11-2006, 19:56
Well, the game has now been released. Has anyone got as far as to playing a game yet?
It seems very interesting...I've picked up a starter out of interest. Not had a chance to peruse the rules yet. The miniatures seem pretty good, much better than the other star wars game. Much harder plastic gives it the feel of a real miniature rather than a bendy-toy, paintjobs arnt bad either...but the minis would look pretty damn nice repainted. All in all it seems like an interesting game although I'd like to know how people are faring with the actual gameplay. If the game itself isnt too good then I'll be drawing up a BFG conversion.

lachlin
26-11-2006, 03:53
I played this game today. It was enjoyable and plays fast. My only real gripe is that my fleet consisted of a super star destroyer, a tie fighter, palpatines shuttle, shuttle tyderium and two trade federation droid fighters.I would really like to be able to purchase just Rebe Alliance, or just Galactic Empire ships.
The vessels are classed 1-4. classes 1-3 start on the game board. Type 4 vessels (the fighters, x-wings TIEs etc) are launched from the bigger ships that have fighter launch ability (anywhere between 1 and 3 fighters a turn).
Some of the bigger ships have forward facing weapons and side mounted batteries that require you either turning your ship to fire them or getting the classic "broadside" shot. Fighting is fast and furious with the class 4 fighters as they tend to blow up during the first round of combat. Like I said, it was an enjoyable game.

Kiro
18-12-2006, 21:53
Wow, this game really popped out of nowhere, I can't believe how much time has passed between hearing about it and actually laying hands on it. Heard rumours about it a few months ago, I thought 'cool' then forget about it. Lo and behold I'm shopping in Leeds and my eye is caught by the starter pack. Impulse buy!
I'm undecided on the game. Firstly, like the land-based miniatures game, every time I see the mini's or think of the game, I want to beat someone to death at GW for not getting their hands on this. The starship battles seem nowhere near as weak as the land battles i.e. it doesn't feel aimed at 6 year olds. Well, not entirely anyway.
The scale I'm pissed about; they should have gone the route of BFG: fair enough, some of the class 3 ships are iconic ala the Millenium Falcon, but I'm sure I'm speaking not just for myself when I say it wouldn't be so bad if Wizards had shrunk all non-capital ships down to the size of BFG fighters to get more of a sense of scale going on.
Unlike the land-battles, the God of randomness doesn't seem to like me when it comes to getting the ships I want, darned random mini's! 6 Boosters bought, and not a single Venator or Imperial, but lots of rare's and very rare's!
Also, they should have stuck to factions by era, rather than alignment. I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, will concentrate on building era fleets though

srsmith
18-12-2006, 22:07
"It's a trap!!"

~ Admiral Akbar

shakespear
23-12-2006, 23:00
I have been playing it. I like it. Easy and simple rules

My only complaint is the mixed eras. After 2 cases I have a 300 point light side rebellion fleet and a 300 point dark side clone war fleet.

Keravin
01-01-2007, 19:10
Definite looking at building era fleets here as well. Surprised by the inclusion of the ships from the books.

Saxon
01-01-2007, 23:27
I've been playing it a fair bit - really straight forward beer and pretzals game, but is also quite strategic. The scale thing is an issue, but of course if you tried for accurate scale you'd never get it on the table.

I guess the only gripe, and a minor one at that is the lack of ranges on the weapons and no LOS rules either. But these are very minor issues.
Great fun game IMHO

Kiro
03-01-2007, 10:53
I also neglected to mention, like the land-based game, this is ripe for exploitation and a twink's delight. See the Wizards boards for proof :rolleyes:

BradenK
05-01-2007, 01:12
I bought the starter and also searched ebay for some more ships. You can actually find some cheaper than buying boosters if you look hard enough...

Like the game, but a bit too simple for my tastes, and I think the board is too small. I don't like that fighters can move across it in three turns.

In short, I'll be making up some additional rules for this game :-). Complex is better. But it's great to play with people who aren't as strategically minded as you.

For example, I love Axis and Allies, but as soon as you finish going over the basics of the game, it's time to head home!

The game is coo,, but it would be so much more.

Gen.Steiner
05-01-2007, 01:22
Step 1. Buy a kickball
Step 2. Buy a can of gray spraypaint
Step 3. You should be able to guess... :)

Step 3: Win The Game. :p

I've had one game of this, in a motorway service station cafe. It was pretty good fun, tho' the random ships were irritating and the hard-rubber type plastic they were made from is prone to bending.

I'll be playing more of this, as it's a nice fast and furious game - though it probably needs a little more complexity, e.g. a bigger board and weapons ranges. This said, it is a nice and fun game to mess about with, and you get to say things like "All guns - target the X-wing!" :D

BradenK
09-01-2007, 22:32
Hey all, just though I'd share this tip. Fairly obvious but just in case anyone was worried about ruining the models... I got some off bay and they were bent from heat, as were many I got in boxes. Hot water and a firm hand can bend them back into shape. I found that slightly over correcting the bend and holding it until it cools (Just a few minutes) fixes the problem as long as the part is not too flimsy or thin, like the observation tower on the invisible hand is.