PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Weapons Teams in 7th Edition?

Stingray_tm
19-10-2006, 13:14
Now, can rattlings and warp fire throwers been targetet like characters, or does the Army Book special rule override this?

T10
19-10-2006, 13:21
As far as I can tell, the rules for hiding single characters near units no longer exist, therefore the weapon teams can no longer benefit from them.

-T10

Stingray_tm
19-10-2006, 13:25
But you could argue, that the Army Book describes a special rule similiar to the rule you mentioned, not the same rule. There is the difference of 3" vs. 5" for example.

WillFightForFood
19-10-2006, 13:35
"Enemies wishing to target a weapon team with missile fire or spells have the same limitations as when targeting single characters on foot."

This seems to indicate that as the rules for targetting single characters on foot have changed so would the restrictions on targetting the weapon team.

gukal
19-10-2006, 13:37
But you could argue, that the Army Book describes a special rule similiar to the rule you mentioned, not the same rule. There is the difference of 3" vs. 5" for example.

The Skaven rule is worded so that it cannot be effective without the Character rule. Now that characters can be targeted, so can weapon teams.

- Gukal

DeathlessDraich
19-10-2006, 14:29
In a way this has similarities to the Beastmen Raider rules.
Since the 4 wide rule was made with 6th in mind, many argued that 7th rules did not apply and GW had to clarify that in the Raiders' case it was applicable.
Similarly since the weapons team rules were made with reference to 6th edition rules, it could be argued that 7th rules can only apply if specifically stated.
I agree with the others that Skaven weapons team can be targeted but I think this argument is likely to be used by some players.

Gekiganger
19-10-2006, 15:38
Untill the new skaven book is released (Where they may up the cost and give them the bonus or some other modification) weapon teams can be turned into spikey balls.

Alathir
19-10-2006, 15:41
And the joy I get from doing that is fantastic.

Zot Zot
01-08-2008, 20:16
Allowing something because the rules don't specifically say "you can't do xyz" isn't a valid reason, in my humble opinion. That being said, weapon teams have been made much more vunerable now since they no longer gain the protective umbrella of their parent unit.

Several ideas have been bounced about as to how to compensate for this including "hiding" them in units (similar to Assassins or Night Goblin Fanatics) or increasing their wounds/armour save.

"Hiding" them in units would protect them from being destroyed prior to them being deployed and is very skaven-appropriate.

They would simply leave the parent unit at any time and them be considered to be a seperate unit from then on.

Personally, I would like the see Weapons Teams be Toughness=4 (due to exposure to more warpstone than normal) and given a pavise like save (+2 vs. missiles) since some missiles would strike the machinery instead and we already have the precedent of the Jezzail using a Pavise (+2 AS vs Missiles). I feel this would give the teams "some" added protection while remaining balanced. I don't agree with giving Weapons Teams Heavy Armour since that would affect HTH saves and Weapons Teams in base to base combat should be meat on the table.

Another thought has been to increase the wounds to 2, but then they are unbalanced compared to Jezzails and then why aren't cavalry 2 wounds and opens up a can of worms that could potentiall affect other armies.

Also, weapon teams are going to operate independently so I feel Leadership of 5 is a little low.