PDA

View Full Version : Very Dubious...

Fearmysnotlings
19-10-2006, 15:28
Fought an opponent the other day with a unit of knights perched behind some woods (why do people always hide from me?). Anyways, its his turn, and he declares a charge on my fast cav. with those knights. At this i laughed, called him a silly person, and told him no, but he brought up a fairly depressing fact. There was one knight sticking out from the edge of the woods, so it was stated that this one knight allowed him to make a charge on my unit. So is it okay to charge even if you can move through the woods free of penalty?

Edit: To clarify my opponent was using banner of Ellyrion and actually COULD move through the woods without penalty.

Avian
19-10-2006, 15:30
Eh? He is allowed to charge, but he will still be slowed down by the difficult terrain most of his unit will be moving through.

Gekiganger
19-10-2006, 15:35
So is it okay to charge even if you can move through the woods free of penalty?

No.

It's okay to charge suffering from the penalty, not without.

gukal
19-10-2006, 15:40
If, for instance, they were High Elves with a particular magic banner, then they could do it without penalty. I think some Bretonnians and Wood Elves can pull off similar tricks. However, most cavalry must accept the reduced movement through woods.

In either event, so long as one model in the unit can see one model in the target unit ... the charge can be declared. Then all that remains is to see if the chargers can reach the target.

- Gukal

Fearmysnotlings
19-10-2006, 15:45
good, all i needed was some confirmation on that. Im gonna have to look out for that next time. And yeah, high elves with banner of ellyrion. Hate it.

Jedi152
19-10-2006, 15:53
If, for instance, they were High Elves with a particular magic banner, then they could do it without penalty. I think some Bretonnians and Wood Elves can pull off similar tricks. However, most cavalry must accept the reduced movement through woods.
The Brets do have a banner which allows them to move throught terrain for one move, but they cannot charge.

EvC
19-10-2006, 17:52
I don't see why anyone would think the charge was illegal in the first place. Am I missing something?

T10
19-10-2006, 18:00
Go easy on the kid. He may just have lost a unit of fast cavalry due to his opponent's out-smartiness.

-T10

EvC
19-10-2006, 18:23
I don't think I'm going hard on anyone, I just want to know what it is about the situation that could be considered dubious or wonder why it might not be legal..?

gukal
19-10-2006, 20:27
I've had new players ask me this question on several ocassions. For my vampires, the offending unit is Spirit Hosts. For my Ogres, the offending unit is Yhetis.

LOS is blocked for all but one model. The unit charges through what looks like rugged terrain. The dumbstruck new player asks "what just happened?"

Most often, I think the misconception occurs because line of sight is treated differently for charging (LOS by unit) and shooting (LOS by model).

- Gukal